Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I was walking down the street today with two white friends and saw 3 white kids with a radio which they were blasting 50 cent out of. When we saw them me and my friends sorta recoiled our faces for want of a better expression. So one of the kids said to me "yo *****" and walked off laughing. I pulled sorta a "wtf" face and walked off. I wasnt mad or angry i just shrugged it off and thought nothing more of it. So my friends were like omg you should have punched them or said something but i felt i was right in my decision. Its not like anything i said could have changed their minds, anyhow they were listening to 50 cent and dressed in chav clothing so they can't hate black people all that much. Did i do the right thing or should i have stuck up for myself?

ReputationRep:
    reacting violently to a comment made to provoke you only shows very little maturity and having no idea how to behave in a civilized society.
    You can be proud of having shown yourself to be superior, and your friends...well let's just say they don't sound like such a good influence

anyway, u did good:yy: make sure you don't so something silly next time

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluelight)
    I was walking down the street today with two white friends and saw 3 white kids with a radio which they were blasting 50 cent out of. When we saw them me and my friends sorta recoiled our faces for want of a better expression. So one of the kids said to me "yo *****" and walked off laughing. I pulled sorta a "wtf" face and walked off. I wasnt mad or angry i just shrugged it off and thought nothing more of it. So my friends were like omg you should have punched them or said something but i felt i was right in my decision. Its not like anything i said could have changed their minds, anyhow they were listening to 50 cent and dressed in chav clothing so they can't hate black people all that much. Did i do the right thing or should i have stuck up for myself?
    You should have used your Stanley on them.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations, you did good, proved you were by far the superior.

ReputationRep:
    I def agree shrugging it off was the wisest move. If it was serious, its not like he was worth it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    You should have used your Stanley on them.
    I left it at home , i was decorating, darn it!

ReputationRep:
    Do you encounter a lot of racism?

ReputationRep:
    not at all, which is wierd because it's supposed to be one of the least multicultural places in the UK. Stuff like that hardly ever happens, and i dont really regard it as a racist remark although it is techincally because they clearly idolise black rappers and said it flippantly , i don't know why but im really not upset/offended by it.

ReputationRep:
    I left it at home , i was decorating, darn it!
    Keep a spare one with you next time. You never know when you'll have need of a craft knife........"wanna have a face to face chat with my friend Stanley do you son?"

ReputationRep:
    not at all, which is wierd because it's supposed to be one of the least multicultural places in the UK. Stuff like that hardly ever happens, and i dont really regard it as a racist remark although it is techincally because they clearly idolise black rappers and said it flippantly , i don't know why but im really not upset/offended by it.
    maybe they meant it in the same way that blacks call each other it?

ReputationRep:
    lol, yeah ill take that stanley out with me... Ehh it was such a bizzare situation because they obviously said it to single me out but at the same time, i thought it was a bit hilarious because they were complete scallies blatantly listening to music by a black artist. I just feel that not saying anything was the best thing to do because one i really thought little of it and two because it said more about me than them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nicolo)
    reacting violently to a comment made to provoke you only shows very little maturity and having no idea how to behave in a civilized society.
    You can be proud of having shown yourself to be superior, and your friends...well let's just say they don't sound like such a good influence

anyway, u did good:yy: make sure you don't so something silly next time
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Listening to your friends would have only validated a lot of peoples opinions on how black people, particularly black boys, act and react, so well done. We need more people like you to show the world that we aren't just some mass, generic aggressive force, we are in fact classy, intelligent guys.

Unfortunately, so many of the models which black boys are forced to emulate (because all children emulate someone who they believe to be similar- in superficial terms of course) have this uber-macho thing going on, and so this is why there is so much of a "gang culture" within our ethnic group. The only way we will get rid of this is to get to the top by acting respectably, and showing silly black boys that there are in fact better role models out there. And it's gonna take a bloody looong time.

And back to the point, i sort of think it was a racist comment. It was clearly done to make you feel uncomfortable, or embarrased, to put you on the spot, to you know, highlight something about you. And that to me is a racist thing to do. You think they can't be racist because they listen to hip-hop? Well, i bet Nick Griffin loves his curry on a friday night.

It may not be racism on the same level as the hatred- infested crap the BNP comes out with, but any attempt at making a person feel small, using their aesthetic features, in this case your skin colour, is a bad thing. And it obviously affected you, because you've posted about it, and you've mulled over it. And i would too. Go with your gut feeling.

And again, well done for your sophisticated reaction.

ReputationRep:
    Seems funny as hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legbreakgoogly)
    Seems funny as hell.
    Retarded, juvenile sense of humour you have then. I bet your favourite films are American Pie and Dude, Where's my Car?

I tend to find many things funnier than this situation. At least you'd be easy to please, mind......

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt funny at first , it was uncomfortable because my friends were there and they had no idea what to say! But looking back it is funny in a way, the only reason im recounting it is because generally people feel you should "stick up" for yourself and you are weak if you dont say anything, so i was just getting feedback. Even though it was a racist thing to say, idk im not as angry as i should be because they're just stupid thicko's whose opinions count for nothing and idoloise famous black rappers so it was all just a pretty silly situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    Listening to your friends would have only validated a lot of peoples opinions on how black people, particularly black boys, act and react, so well done. We need more people like you to show the world that we aren't just some mass, generic aggressive force, we are in fact classy, intelligent guys.

Unfortunately, so many of the models which black boys are forced to emulate (because all children emulate someone who they believe to be similar- in superficial terms of course) have this uber-macho thing going on, and so this is why there is so much of a "gang culture" within our ethnic group. The only way we will get rid of this is to get to the top by acting respectably, and showing silly black boys that there are in fact better role models out there. And it's gonna take a bloody looong time.

And back to the point, i sort of think it was a racist comment. It was clearly done to make you feel uncomfortable, or embarrased, to put you on the spot, to you know, highlight something about you. And that to me is a racist thing to do. You think they can't be racist because they listen to hip-hop? Well, i bet Nick Griffin loves his curry on a friday night.

It may not be racism on the same level as the hatred- infested crap the BNP comes out with, but any attempt at making a person feel small, using their aesthetic features, in this case your skin colour, is a bad thing. And it obviously affected you, because you've posted about it, and you've mulled over it. And i would too. Go with your gut feeling.

And again, well done for your sophisticated reaction.
    Your comments above definately strike a chord with me. I'm not black, but if I were, I would certainly understand the despair about the lower-class, black-youth sub-culture.

My own experience is of a homosexual culture which sees promiscuity and one night stands as being ok and where there are very few stable role models for what one might loosely call 'family values.'

I would say that in both of these cases cultural factors are very important, however to takle the problem of the black culture you would also need to recognise the socio-economic basis of the problem, since a similar culture exists amongst the white lower classes.

You definately did the right thing Bluelight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gideon2000uk)
    Your comments above definately strike a chord with me. I'm not black, but if I were, I would certainly understand the despair about the lower-class, black-youth sub-culture.

My own experience is of a homosexual culture which sees promiscuity and one night stands as being ok and where there are very few stable role models for what one might loosely call 'family values.'

I would say that in both of these cases cultural factors are very important, however to takle the problem of the black culture you would also need to recognise the socio-economic basis of the problem, since a similar culture exists amongst the white lower classes.

You definately did the right thing Bluelight.

What you say about the socio-economic basis is 100% accurate in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cottonmouth)
    juvenile

favourite films are American Pie and Dude, Where's my Car?
    Amongst others, yes.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.