Turn on thread page Beta

Tomlinson Report watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/3494253.stm

One answer is to recalibrate A-level grades, to avoid the problem of A grades being awarded to all those who get marks between 80% and 100% - more than fifth of exam entries last year.

But a suggestion Mr Tomlinson thinks is promising is to have more open questions - less "nannying" of students in exams.

Questions which ask them to write about an issue, taking account of this point and that point, could be simplified to "discuss".

For brighter students the lack of prompts would be no more taxing, but the less able would be thrown back on their own devices and find it harder to get the top grades
    OK, hands up anyone who knows what he's talking about?

Since when has any A level essay question asked you to "write about an issue, taking account of this point and that point" - it has always been "discuss" or "evaluate" etc.

So core skills that would have to feature in teaching from the age of 14 onwards would include what he calls "functional" maths and English - for example, percentages, grammar and letter-writing
    Er, you mean like what is already included in GCSE Eng Lang and GCSE Maths? I remember doing little but letter writing etc in Eng Lang, and percentages? I mean, isn't that on the KS2 syllabus or something?

Yeah, OK maybe the GCSEs let you get A grades without actually being any good at the above, but the answer to that is surely to improve the standard of them rather than introduce something different..

ReputationRep:
    I thought that the government was considering whether or not to replace A-levels with the IB?!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    I thought that the government was considering whether or not to replace A-levels with the IB?!?
    No...never the IB, just an IB-type thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama boy)
    No...never the IB, just an IB-type thing.

Right, but its still the same principle. Just means more rounded and standardised scores.

P.S. OMG, I thougt I was weird staying up till four in the morning!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    P.S. OMG, I thougt I was weird staying up till four in the morning!
    Well yes, ahem, um, yeah..

ReputationRep:
    Some of it really won't work e.g students being able to mix and match vocational subjects with academic ones, both being of equal value.

Yet although on paper they might seem 'equal', in reality I think they will have difficulty in implementing this idea.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.