The Student Room Group

Over 40% of cancers due to lifestyle. (read what causes it)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kingme
John McEnroe would know exactly what to say at this point ....

Unless he's going to tell you you are speaking a load of bull, I do not seem to see how he would enligthen this situation.
Original post by nexttime
Are you for real? Hilarious post.

What do you mean am I for real? Linda McCartney for one was a vegetarian who didn't drink alcohol or smoke. She is just one example of this, there are many others.

Its easy to come back at me saying "are you for real?", if you want to reply to me at least write something of some thought.

Also, I must add in. I am a healthy eater and do not drink or smoke. So I am not a biased opinion.
Original post by theclash...
Really? I thought it was called media influence.

First of all, if they have found the 'supposed' cause, then surely logic proves that the cure should easily follow? However there has not been a guarantee of that.

Also, it is strangley ironic how the so called 'causes' of cancer are all items that can be more heavily taxed, despite already being shockingly high! Conincidence? I think not.

If this comes out as being the cure, it just gives another excuse to tax things. With our already high debt that the country is in, our idiotic government seems to find taxing things that you can easily manipulate the minds of others to find negative makes it more plausible.

Nowadays nothing is based on pure science. If you want to look at science look at small, very independent scientists. They normally are less influenced in their judgements.

Lol, your post is a joke.
What do you mean am I for real? Linda McCartney for one was a vegetarian who didn't drink alcohol or smoke. She is just one example of this, there are many others.

Its easy to come back at me saying "are you for real?", if you want to reply to me at least write something of some thought.

Also, I must add in. I am a healthy eater and do not drink or smoke. So I am not a biased opinion.

Cancer is a combination of genetics and environment. Sometimes even living a healthy lifestyle will not save you.
I don't smoke or drink and im not fat i also have a good diet so im not getting any cancer EVER.

This is good news and people who ignore it can't face up to the fact that smoking and drinking are killing them.
Original post by sid214
I think people need to remember that there are many different types of cancer, and all have a myriad of different causes.

The article hasn't specified which cancers are being spoken about. For example, some cancers are caused purely by genetics (famailial adenomatous poyposis), whereas others are mostly environmental (small cell lung carcinoma is rare in those who don't smoke).

The fruit and vegetable bit is important in terms of colorectal cancer - yes yes, the anti-oxidant stuff as well but thats largely insignificant here. Colorectal cancer depends not only on genetics, but also on diet (processed meats are notorius for releasing oxygen radicals on cooking, but so is all meat). What happens is people inherit gene making them susceptible to colorectal cancer, and then by eating 'unhealthily' further cause a mutation in another gene which causes this cancer (search for 'two-hit hypothesis' if you want to read more).

Now where this fruit and veg comes in: fruit and vegetables contain a lot of fibre, and that is why they prevent colorectal cancer. Why you ask? Because, the faeces can be stored in the colon and rectum for days, and the dangerous chemicals cause damage to cells here, causing them to divide uncontrollably and form a cancer. Fibre means bowel movements are more often and faeces spend less time stored, and therefore less time in contact with cells that could be harmed.

So in short, yes eating healthily, exercising and not smoking can be greatly beneficial in preventing certain cancers (especially if you are genetically pre-disposed to a certain kind), but there are others which you have no control over.

sensible post. readers take note.
Original post by No Future
Lol, your post is a joke.

"lol"? Really? I thought you had to be a certain age to come on this website.

And to be honest your name says something about you, because you do have no future if you believe everything the government tells you.
Original post by oriental_girls_no1
I don't smoke or drink and im not fat i also have a good diet so im not getting any cancer EVER.

o rly?

Lol.
"lol"? Really? I thought you had to be a certain age to come on this website.

And to be honest your name says something about you, because you do have no future if you believe everything the government tells you.

What has the got to do with the government? It's from what I learned in biology classes, medical school and my own research.

Does the government also tax sun beds, sun bathing, aflatoxin, asbestos...?
(edited 12 years ago)
Cancer is a combination of genetics and environment. Sometimes even living a healthy lifestyle will not save you.

Well obviously!

Thats what this whole argument is about.

Its a mixture of different things and no one knows the cause because its not a specific thing, whereas they are trying to pinpoint the blame on specific items.

Linda McCartney done drugs heavily with the beatles and she said so on many occasions she also sat and sang in smoke filled clubs and many other smoke filled environments . Plus she was a vegetarian meaning her iron ,b12 ,folic acid and many other vitamins were low because she didn't eat meat.

You need to get your facts right about Linda McCartney .
Well obviously!

Thats what this whole argument is about.

Its a mixture of different things and no one knows the cause because its not a specific thing, whereas they are trying to pinpoint the blame on specific items.

For some cancers, the causes are known. Specific chemicals or specific pathogens or specific genes - or a combination.

There is no argument. Most of this thread is people spouting pseudoscience and bull****.
(edited 12 years ago)

What in the ****. This post made me derp so hard that I herped.
What has the got to do with the government? It's from what I learned in biology classes, medical school and my own research.

Does the government also tax sun beds, sun bathing, aflatoxin, asbestos...?

This is my point. They are specifically saying that if you have a poor diet, smoke or drink you are going to get cancer. You have just stated other factors that cause cancer. My point is why are they highlighting three things they are trying to get rid off and heavily tax? Its common sense what they are trying to do.

When the budget comes you will see.
She was a vegetarian meaning her iron ,b12 ,folic acid and many other vitamins were low because she didn't eat meat.

You need to get your facts right about Linda McCartney .

Really do I? Because from what I was saying there are other factor that contribute to cancer, such as what you have just stated about her being low on iron, b12, folic acid and many other vitamins. Thanks for the examples to back me up hun!
This is my point. They are specifically saying that if you have a poor diet, smoke or drink you are going to get cancer. You have just stated other factors that cause cancer. My point is why are they highlighting three things they are trying to get rid off and heavily tax? Its common sense what they are trying to do.

When the budget comes you will see.

Sorry, what are you on about? Who are 'they'?

It should be pretty well known what can cause cancer.

People need to weigh up the pros and cons of lifestyle choices.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by GodspeedGehenna
What in the ****. This post made me derp so hard that I herped.

Is it a troll? This person can't be for real.

Right? :s-smilie:
For some cancers, the causes are known. Specific chemicals or specific pathogens or specific genes - or a combination.

There is no argument. Most of this thread is people spouting pseudoscience and bull****.

If you do not get reported for the use of that swear word this website is full of crap. I used the same term before and got reported. If not that is discrimination.

Also I am saying that basically they are saying if you do A, B and C you will get cancer, but if you don't do A, B and C you could still get cancer. That is my point. We all know its about odds, no matter what people do they are still as likely to get it as others. If you don't do A, B and C and still can get it then obviously there is not a strong relation between it and cancer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending