Aberdeen, Oxford Brookes, Hull, Reading or Westminster for Law?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
greenseal
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hello, I recently just received unconditional offers to study law at Aberdeen, Oxford Brookes, Hull, Reading and Westminster. I was wondering if I could get any advice on which uni I should be going for? Im unsure as to whether I would like to be a solicitor/barrister at the end of my degree and so the Scots/English law differences aren't really important at this stage, (though I am willing to do the conversion course if ever I want to practice in England) I just really want to study law and would appreciate some help to push me in the right direction.

Any info on quality of course, reputation, employability, social life, atmosphere and other shindigs would be really helpful

Thanks in advance
Captain Hindsight
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
I wouldn't go to Aberdeen, purely because scottish Law is different to english law (so i've heard)

Reading is the best uni and best for law out of your list
then aberdeen
oxford brookes
hull
westminister

Seriously dude, Reading all the way. It's like 8th best for Law in the country.
ultimate mashup
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Reading

Oxford brooks is not bad.
Natmay93
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I have the same issue, I have unconditional offers from Oxford Brookes, Buckingham, Salford, Keele, and havent heard from Nottingham Trent yet.
But I really don't know who to go for.
I want to go to the most reputable uni out of my choices, but I dont really know what that is, could anyone help??
greenseal
Rep:
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
(Original post by Captain Hindsight)
I wouldn't go to Aberdeen, purely because scottish Law is different to english law (so i've heard)

Reading is the best uni and best for law out of your list
then aberdeen
oxford brookes
hull
westminister

Seriously dude, Reading all the way. It's like 8th best for Law in the country.
Thanks man, though looking through all of them, there's just something about Reading that I don't like; for one the prospectus just kept taking pictures of the same ethnic minority (walking, sat on trees, reading on a bench) and it seemed as though he was the only minority there, and I would want to meet people of different backgrounds. Also, I don't like some of the modules they offer. Right now, I'm feeling either Aberdeen or Oxford Brookes. Though there are pro's and con's in both. Aberdeen's course is excellent, though its 4 years, and if I do decide to become a solicitor in England I'd have to convert, whilst with Brookes, though the course sounds really good, and Oxford is a top area, I believe it would be slightly harder to get jobs than if say I went to Aberdeen, which has a more established reputation (as I've learned from work experiences and graduates from both unis)

Thanks for the advice though man :gthumb:
s.a.u
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
i'd say go for aberdeen
ultimate mashup
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Natmay93)
I have the same issue, I have unconditional offers from Oxford Brookes, Buckingham, Salford, Keele, and havent heard from Nottingham Trent yet.
But I really don't know who to go for.
I want to go to the most reputable uni out of my choices, but I dont really know what that is, could anyone help??
Keele or Trent will be the most reputable out of these
digitalfever
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Scottish Law is not the same as English Law.
helpunipls
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Polytechnics over an Ancient Uni like the University of Aberdeen is wild. There really are no Aberdeen students on this site. Maybe I'm biased because im from Scotland but this is crazy lol. Even if this was 10 years ago.

Aberdeen
Reading

-Big Gap-

Oxford Brookes
Hull.
X
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (67)
28.39%
As I expected (73)
30.93%
Harder (88)
37.29%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.39%

Watched Threads