The Student Room Group

TSR anti-bullying society

Scroll to see replies

thansk for ur answers, mine's simliar but i'll post 2moro, bed now!
Reply 321
I'm thinking of organising a sponsored event for Childline. Any suggestions? (And would you be up for it?? :p:)
hmmm --- what exactly do you mean? what would be have to do??

sponsored event -- hmm--- have to think about it [as in what we could do]
Reply 323
I'm thinking something simple:

Marathon/half-marathon
Sponsored swim
Cycle
Long walk/trek
etc...

I figure that if we can come up with a good idea which a lot of people can get involved in, then we might be able to raise quite a bit. I'm really up for it!
Reply 324
not everyones nearly fit enough for that, personally at my current fitness, I could maybe do 5 miles if I had to and then die.
You do realise that to run the marathon for a charity you have to raise a certain amount of money for them to give you one of their allocated places. I suppose its plausible to get all TSR users to donate something, and send 1/2 people who are up for it. With the number of users around even if a tiny proportion donated a relatively small amount of money - say 50p - you could raise alot of cash. How to coordinate is a admistrative nightmare though - I sense a challenge!
Reply 325
I'm up for it. However I too am rather unfit at the moment :frown: and we definitely want something that a lot of people can get involved with - both friends in the real world and people on TSR. As you say it wouldn't be easy to do a marathon because there are limited places available, but how about a cycle or walk across the UK? We don't necessarily have to make it a race; just an enjoyable challenge where a few of us get together and do something to support a great charity! And of course we could organise it all ourselves.

What do you think?
James Gurung
I'm thinking of organising a sponsored event for Childline. Any suggestions? (And would you be up for it?? :p:)

oh dear, normally i would be up for it but i'm currently trying to raise funds of a differnt kind for a gap year placement in peru:s-smilie: ! but after that i would be :smile:
Reply 327
bump
bronsonbear
So what make you two (or others!) such passionate anit-bullying campainers?

To answer my own question (if anybody is interested!) I do all can to prevent bulying becasue i know what it's like to be on the recieving end, like most. Similarly to you WS I was bullied for a long time (over 4 schools) for absolutely no real reason/no fault of my own, and belive it still affects my life now, though i try not to let it.
I suppose you're right, we can't wipe out bullying, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't try bl**dy hard! Being an empathetic person, it hurts to much to know other go through bullying not to do anything about it really.

How long has this society been around?
Reply 329
James Gurung
I'm thinking something simple:

Marathon/half-marathon
Sponsored swim
Cycle
Long walk/trek
etc...

I figure that if we can come up with a good idea which a lot of people can get involved in, then we might be able to raise quite a bit. I'm really up for it!

I'm up for that! ;yes;
I mean when I finish my exams and 6th form i'll be waiting around till August for my results then September, sounds a good idea.:smile:
The society has been here for sometime now i think!?

well - i am terribly unfit as well! hehe --- but i like the idea of getting TSR members to donate 50p --- considering the number of users here - that should raise quite a bit!
We would have to figure out where the money goes -- as in who is collecting
Reply 331
wackysparkle
The society has been here for sometime now i think!?

well - i am terribly unfit as well! hehe --- but i like the idea of getting TSR members to donate 50p --- considering the number of users here - that should raise quite a bit!
We would have to figure out where the money goes -- as in who is collecting

The admin side of things won't be a problem at all. We can easily create an account on http://www.justgiving.com. The main challenge is getting five or ten people to actually do this cycle/walk/???
well sorry but i think i am out! --- too much on really at the moment ---
why couldn't you just make it a "donate 50p to a charitable cause?" and stick it up on TSR?
Reply 333
Off topic - Why was the other thread closed - in About? What exactly is happening? we seem to have got precisely nowhere :frown:
i think james wants it to remain as it is right now - and just help out when we can at the H&R dept -- i guess its okay -- but i still wish we had our own seperate forum --- it would better the place a bit - and seperates the issues a bit more -- coz right now -- there are dozens issues that are all over the place!
Reply 335
So basiclly all that debating and idealistic campagaining got us nowhere. Quality.
Reply 336
Wangers
So basiclly all that debating and idealistic campagaining got us nowhere. Quality.

I disagree. It was an interesting discussion and we got our opinions heard. In the end, however, there was a substantial consensus against the idea of creating a new forum, and a number of mods/admins were in this majority. If you go back and read through all the posts there, as I have done today, I hope you will agree that the idea of having a new sub-forum was flawed.

Sorry for closing the thread. I just felt that the discussion was over, and there was nothing more to be gained. I hope, however, that over the course of 100+ posts :eek: it raised awareness of this society and how serious bullying can be. :smile:
Reply 337
Im sorry :frown: im just frustrated today.
nah i get you wangers - its like we got defeated when we were really into this issue and thought we were going somewhere

oh well - i am trying my best here - lets just hope that people can still be able to come to this society and ask for help - and lets hope that this thread remains active + stays on the first page :smile:
i went to a small primary school, there was no real bulling there, but i went to a small public school for my first year of high school where i didnt have any friends. I was on the receiving end of bulleys all year, and got beaten up quite alot - my mum moved me to a private exclusive high school from then on to keep me out of trouble (im a very reserved and shy person, and everyone i know now likes me for my politeness) so i doubted i ever deserved my hardship at highschool.
someone from this public highschool went to the private school with me, and because we both didnt have friends he decided to talk himself up by putting me down, so the bullying continued.
I didnt make real friends until after year 9 when i was strong enough to stand up for myself and stop the bulling.
Although i was still harassed by ex bullies in later years of highschool and college, i shrugged it because i had friends and new i was decent enough not to put up with others crap.
the last incident of bulling i experienced in highschool was me standing up for my friends little brother who i walked in on in the locker room where 2 boys in his year were holding him to the ground and spat in his face.
After brutally kicking some punk ass to help my friends lil bro, i was on the receiving end again when these kids older brothers came after me...

anyway - my 2 cents - if you get bullied - stand up for yourself, the worst that will happen is it may be worse short term
if you see someone get bullied, irrispective of repurcussions, do the right thing - lend a hand.
if you are a bully - ask yourself a question - do you deserve to draw breath or would the world be happier if you caesed to exist?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending