Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    No, being a Christian is about accepting humans are flawed and repenting for your sins, and sharing the good word. This does not necessarily mean telling people that if they don't agree with your own particular interpretation of the Bible and Christianity that they're wrong. Oh and it doesn't include telling every new student in Cambridge where all the churches are in Cambridge exceot the Methodist ones as you don't view their interpretation as valid because they allow divorcees to re-marry.

ReputationRep:
    Just a random observation:

There was a chap the other day standing on the corner of market square preaching the Christian message. I was tempted to stand opposite, and shout louder than him,

"Salvation lies only down the path of the Holy Cornish Pasty!" and then systematically parody the Christian faith. But had second thoughts as that's just a little bit too offensive.

Perhaps you should copy out the Bible passages that are against "Bible Bashing" and print them on to stickers or something to stick on the CICCU posters. "Every word in the Bible is true- but it's telling me to stop! Argh!" and cause a rift within CICCU, a vote of no-confidence in its leader, and much reportage fodder for the TCS and Varsity hacks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    This does not necessarily mean telling people that if they don't agree with your own particular interpretation of the Bible and Christianity that they're wrong..
    try telling that to the scary guy with a sign who marches round newcastle every saturday shouting at people...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicbloke)
    Yes, same idea's been floating round for a while, in fact last year I actually tried to set up a society called fuccu, to give talks on the gospels of Marx. I guess I should also add this.

MB
    Hmm, forgive me, but how are you going to convince anyone smart enough to get into cambridge of the merits of a philosophy that is demonstrably flawed (and whose flaws were exposed on an epic scale)? Unless youre a neo marxist that is (traitors that they are). Still, i like the idea of marxism, and i guess people going round spreading the word adds to the atmosphere in general.

ReputationRep:
    If you really want to annoy them:

http://www.venganza.org/

Be touched by HIS noodly appendage!

ReputationRep:
    Great. Amazing. I want to buy a Flying Spaghetti Monster hoodie just to annoy CICCU.

It's a leeeetle bit more subtle than MB's "No Thanks Sir" hoodie... and they won't be able to ban me from wearing it. Mwahaha...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Great. Amazing. I want to buy a Flying Spaghetti Monster hoodie just to annoy CICCU.

It's a leeeetle bit more subtle than MB's "No Thanks Sir" hoodie... and they won't be able to ban me from wearing it. Mwahaha...
    Yeah. I'm in a debate next week (evolution Vs intelligent design) against two of my teachers. (i'm on the side of evolution). I plan on printing up a couple of FSM leaflets to give to them :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why can't evolution been have designed by God?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    because god is perfect, and wouldn't have allowed such poor grammer to evolve.

ReputationRep:
    or spelling

ReputationRep:
    The poster campaign isn't really that funny really.

However.... My political mates and I got wasted after Thursday's debate and decided I should run for CUSU President on a New Christian Right agenda. I would turn up at CICCU meetings starting this week with the campaign they're doing and try and co-opt their support.

At CUSU hustings I could answer questions with 'Are you some sort of liberal East Coast girly man' and so forth. Other people thought of proposing 'prayer before CUSU council', getting rid of contraceptive campaigns and replacing CUSU Welfare with the 'CUSU Department Of Faith and Religiosity.'

Surely that would be decent satire, no??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    :ditto:

I go to church every Sunday, am a member of the Methodist society, but I want to join. I find CICCU, like most Christian Union groups, to be very forceful and trying to shove religion "down people's throats." I think they give Christians a bad name.

Sign me up!

I couldn't disagree more. I am not religious, and I think that we should fight religion with all the means at our disposal, as it is an intellectual cancer. CICCU should therefore be opposed as an institution that spreads lies, and the society proposed is thus an admirable one. However, assuming that you were religious, then surely the only moral and logical thing to do would be to spread the word.

I find it hypocritical to say that one has this overpowering belief on such a vital question, yet won't attempt to persuade other people of the merits of it. We should fight CICCU because of their opinions, not the fact that they try to make us aware of them. If we are persuaded that it is wrong to confront others with the way we view the world, then we lose the right to do so with regard to well-founded theories that oppose religious views. I think some Christians dislike CICCU's activities, because they know that frank discussion will eventually lead to a falsification of their unfounded beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    Of course it could. However, as things stand now you can have evolution without presupposing your god, whereas you can't have your god without evolution.

If you are simply looking for a way to preserve gods, in the face of scientific evidence, then evolution does not disprove them, but there is simply no reason to involve any gods in the matter at all.

ReputationRep:
    CICCU should therefore be opposed as an institution that spreads lies
    Be careful... I take this post to be anti-Christianity. If this is the case, I think everyone knows you cannot actually prove christianity is all a bunch of lies. If this was the case, Richard Dawkins would be without a job...

ReputationRep:
    http://landoverbaptist.org/

http://www.whitehouse.org/

the first one comes up as adult oriented nowadays- Damn Homerton fitlers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by toto8462)
    Be careful... I take this post to be anti-Christianity. If this is the case, I think everyone knows you cannot actually prove christianity is all a bunch of lies. If this was the case, Richard Dawkins would be without a job...
    Of course it is anti-Christianity, and of course you can't disprove it. We may be allowed to call something a lie if it is presented as an absolute truth, but not backed up by any evidence. If I told you I had powers of levitation but refused to demonstrate it, you would be in your right to call me a liar without having to 'disprove' it. The burden of proof is on those who posit a theory, not on anyone else, and if the theory goes against all reason and exxperience then we call it a lie if evidence is not forthcoming.

ReputationRep:
    However, were you actually able to levitate, regardless of evidence, one would clearly be wrong to call you a liar.

As far as I am aware lying implies some element of deception or knowledge that what is being said is false. Presuming that at least some people are honest with regards to what they claim to believe; I can't really see that explaining those beliefs can be said to be lying (without proof of course).

Why call people liars when what you're really saying is "I disagree"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)

I go to church every Sunday, am a member of the Methodist society, but I want to join. I find CICCU, like most Christian Union groups, to be very forceful and trying to shove religion "down people's throats." I think they give Christians a bad name.

Sign me up!
    I'm a Christian, but I can't stand CICCU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apd35)
    No, being a Christian is about accepting humans are flawed and repenting for your sins, and sharing the good word. This does not necessarily mean telling people that if they don't agree with your own particular interpretation of the Bible and Christianity that they're wrong.
    It certainly does if they consider that telling people they are wrong is "sharing the good word". And if that is their belief, then what right do you have to tell them that they are the ones who are wrong?

(Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Perhaps you should copy out the Bible passages that are against "Bible Bashing" and print them on to stickers or something to stick on the CICCU posters...
    This is a quite a good idea, except that there aren't any Bible passages that are against "Bible Bashing". All doctrines require the perpetuation of themselves, and Christianity has that principle very deeply embedded within it.

ReputationRep:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.