Can sneezing cause brain damage?

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
This is probably going to sound like a stupid question, but I have pretty bad health anxiet so please take this seriously. I was wondering if it was possibl to damage your brain by sneezing. I was sitting at my laptop with my head down and I felt an urge to sneeze, I sneezed really hard and it felt like the front of my brain had crashed into my skull. I know some types of head trauma cause the brain to hit the skull and was wondering if sneezing could do this? Again, sorry if this is a stupid question I'm just really worried at the moment. Please give as detailed an answer as possible. Thanks very much for the help.
Minimalist__
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
I think the kind of forces needed to cause traumatic brain injury by acceleration alone (i.e. without a direct impact to the skull) are much higher than you can produce by your own movement. Things like whiplash, or being punched hard in the face would be possible causes. So I think it is highly unlikely that the force you move your head from with sneezing would be sufficient.

Most brain injuries that didn't cause unconsciousness are mild anyway, and I presume you didn't lose consciousness. If you are still worried, the most common symptoms are things like nausea, vomitting, dizziness, headache etc. If you start having any of those then you could phone NHS 24 or A&E
NeuralGroove
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Sneezing is an adaptation that helps clear the nasal passages. I doubt very much that it would have been evolutionarily favourable if it did cause brain damage.

The movement of the head in itself will almost definitely not cause brain trauma, but I imagine that it could, in rare circumstances, cause spinal injury.
[Insert_Username]
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
If you sneezed head first into a concrete wall - maybe.
If you sneezed normally - no.
HighestKungFu
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Of course not.

*aaaaa...aaaahhh...aaaahhhhchhooooo*.

I LIKE TURTLES!!!
Alanine
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
No.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Thank you for all the replies, it has been very re-assuring.

(Original post by Minimalist__)
I think the kind of forces needed to cause traumatic brain injury by acceleration alone (i.e. without a direct impact to the skull) are much higher than you can produce by your own movement. Things like whiplash, or being punched hard in the face would be possible causes. So I think it is highly unlikely that the force you move your head from with sneezing would be sufficient.

Most brain injuries that didn't cause unconsciousness are mild anyway, and I presume you didn't lose consciousness. If you are still worried, the most common symptoms are things like nausea, vomitting, dizziness, headache etc. If you start having any of those then you could phone NHS 24 or A&E
Thanks for this particularly detailed reply. I didn't pass out or feel dizzy. Is the pressure sensation I felt normal? I'm starting 2 think I just felt [ressure in my sinus which felt like my brain hitting my skull. Does anyone else have this feeling?
Company Commissar
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
If it did you'd be brain dead now considering how many times in your life you've sneezed...

Coming to think of it I feel like I need to sneeze now scuse me
username852165
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Wonder why the OP is anon.

How messy do you get during your sneezy time, OP?
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
if you feel a sneeze coming on you can stop it in its tracks by pressing hard on your philtrum
this works for about 60% of sneezes
jimbo139
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
no. not unless it causes you to suffer a serious brain injury eg by crashing a car or falling from a window.
corpuscallosum
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
You cannot get brain damage from sneezing.
If you are worried about your brain hitting your skull, let me reassure you by saying your brain is surrounded by three membranes, each with cerebrospinal fluid inbetween them before your skull. These cushion impact. It would take a hell of a lot more force to cause brain damage than by sneezing. Think of the people who've been in car accidents...
FXX
Badges: 18
Report 10 years ago
Unless you give yourself debilitating whiplash every time you sneeze, it's pretty unlikely.
Stop_GMO
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
yes you can certainly get a headache from sneezing.It would all depend on the intensity of your sneezes the frequency and the way in which you sneeze.Some people hold their head perfectly still when they sneeze, some people hold her head still while suppressing a sneeze, these people will not get a headache from sneezing.However, if you are one of those persons who raises your head backwards and then forwards on the sneeze and you do this repeatedly when you have a cold, then you are likely to get an Associated headache from all that sneezing and the minor impacts of your insulating brain tissue layers hitting the inside of your skull, however gently or violently you do that.
Stop_GMO
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
it depends on the frequency of sneezing, the intensity of the sneezing, and your definition of what brain damage is.Repeated sneezing is associated with headache. a quick internet search or searching the PubMed database at the National Institutes of Health or searching the databases of the Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic will conclusively tell you that repeated severe sneezing can lead to headaches. What causes the headache? It is the repeated banging of the meninges and other layers insulating the brain against your skull.Is that brain injury? I would say yes when you injure the layers of the brain which are designed to protect your grey matter from injury then yes you certainly have injured the brain. So it appears that we have to Define where the brain begins and ends. Are the insulating layers part of the brain? If an injury to the insulating layers causes a headache Do you have brain injury? Again I would say yes.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What is your favourite revision method?

Taking notes manually (78)
20.8%
Note taking apps (7)
1.87%
Flashcards (86)
22.93%
Revision guides (19)
5.07%
Past papers (171)
45.6%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (14)
3.73%

Watched Threads