The Student Room Group

Would you prefer if all university admissions had interviews?

Very few universities currently have an interview as a main aspect of the admissions process. I was just considering the fact that quite a few top universities completely disregard personal statements, and for those who are beyond passionate in regard to their chosen subject but do not hold the 10A* etc qualification standard, they are at an immediate disadvantage.
I'm not talking just in regard the Oxford caliber - I'm talking also about UCL / Kings / Bristol / Warwick / Bath / Edinburgh and more. You could have been through unfortunate circumstances during the exam periods / bloomed late / been bored / or simply not been able to learn the exact method to score marks - which are over precise in many papers and exam boards.
Perhaps it's time for a Rehaul? I mean when do you ever apply for a job and do not sit an interview? As univeristy has become more expensive I believe my point becomes ever more valid. People are paying A LOT of money to go to univeristy and have put a lot of effort and time going through important, sometimes irrelevant, but above All complete boredom during the Christmas and April/May months to pass exams.

Whats your opinion on this matter?

Scroll to see replies

No I wouldn't. A university degree should be a purely academic qualification in the subject, as that is what it says it is on your certificate. I'm already unhappy with the irrelevance of parts of my course to the degree we will receive. People who like people and are sociable already have an advantage in the job market. I believe university should be purely academic and degrees should be purely academic qualifications. It's upsetting for less sociable people who are potentially very good academically to **** up an interview or communication based aspect of their course, and then have this tarnish their academic record, as then they're viewed as "stupider academically" as well as being "less socially skilled" than their peers.

If you want to show people you're academic but don't have good grades, I suggest writing a really good personal statement, doing lots of competitions in your subject e.g. essay contests. An interview just introduces bias.
Reply 2
Yes. I would think it would reduce drop out rates too.
Reply 3
Original post by problemsolver
No I wouldn't. A university degree should be a purely academic qualification in the subject, as that is what it says it is on your certificate. I'm already unhappy with the irrelevance of parts of my course to the degree we will receive. People who like people and are sociable already have an advantage in the job market. I believe university should be purely academic and degrees should be purely academic qualifications. It's upsetting for less sociable people who are potentially very good academically to **** up an interview or communication based aspect of their course, and then have this tarnish their academic record, as then they're viewed as "stupider academically" as well as being "less socially skilled" than their peers.

If you want to show people you're academic but don't have good grades, I suggest writing a really good personal statement, doing lots of competitions in your subject e.g. essay contests. An interview just introduces bias.

A students grades will reflect how academic they are. The interview will demonstrate how much passion the student holds for the subject.
Original post by anradu
Very few universities currently have an interview as a main aspect of the admissions process. I was just considering the fact that quite a few top universities completely disregard personal statements, and for those who are beyond passionate in regard to their chosen subject but do not hold the 10A* etc qualification standard, they are at an immediate disadvantage.
I'm not talking just in regard the Oxford caliber - I'm talking also about UCL / Kings / Bristol / Warwick / Bath / Edinburgh and more. You could have been through unfortunate circumstances during the exam periods / bloomed late / been bored / or simply not been able to learn the exact method to score marks - which are over precise in many papers and exam boards.
Perhaps it's time for a Rehaul? I mean when do you ever apply for a job and do not sit an interview? As univeristy has become more expensive I believe my point becomes ever more valid. People are paying A LOT of money to go to univeristy and have put a lot of effort and time going through important, sometimes irrelevant, but above All complete boredom during the Christmas and April/May months to pass exams.

Whats your opinion on this matter?

Yes it would but I do not think it is feasible.

Oxford has 17000 applicants. By virtually the entire teaching staff spending two weeks exclusively on interviewing and decision-making they manage to do it.

Manchester has 55000 applicants. Although its teaching staff is about a third larger than Oxford's there is no way they could feasibly interview those numbers.

Then look at Manchester Met. It has a similar number of applicants to Manchester but far fewer teaching staff.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Besakt
A students grades will reflect how academic they are. The interview will demonstrate how much passion the student holds for the subject.

I see what you're saying.

Here's some thoughts.

Do you need to be passionate about what you're applying for to do it? Obviously you do for courses like med, vet med, dentistry, law, nursing :blah: but what about for something like accountancy? Surely nobody finds that an interesting subject (no offence accountants, just an example), but if you're good at it, does that mean you shouldn't be able to get into accountancy?

and should somebody who is naturally gifted and gets better grades but is not really excited about a subject, be considered not as good as somebody who gets worse grades but is really enthusiastic about that subject?

do you see how it's not as easy as that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Besakt

One person might have passion for a subject but not be able to communicate it. Some people have more charisma than others.

You could show passion without an interview, for example by doing a maths olympiad and getting the relevant books to prepare for it and writing about that in your personal statement.

I think you'd have to look at the exam and how it was graded before judging whether it reflects how academic the student is.

If half of a maths course was graded on presentations and communication skills, and half on a rigorous exam on the academic content of the course, and you had one student who got full marks for presentations and communication skills and then got 40% for the rigorous academic exam, that'd give them 70% and a first. If another student hated presentations and communicating with people, so just missed all the presentations, but then got 100% in the purely academic exam, they'd come out with 50% and a 2:2 overall (I think). So people would think that the student who got the first was better at maths, since their qualification would just say "Mathematics First Class Honours", while the other guy's would say "Mathematics 2:2 Honours" (or something). That's an extreme example, but lots of degrees now aren't purely judged/dependent on your ability in the subject you study.

I agree.
I'm not unsociable, but I get very nervous doing such things and definitely will not represent myself in my favour, where as someone who has the gift of the gab and can easily talk about them-self, will. I find talking about my self really quite difficult, and so find discussing my positives quite hard, I've never been good at 'selling myself' I'd rather just prove my ability.
Anyway, the majority of what people say in interviews are near-lies, things they believe the interviewer wants to hear. They may not necessarily have those attributes.

Also, just that, it should be about how academic a person is. If a person went to private school for example or is from a more well-spoken background, they will come across as more articulate and eloquent, and will have learnt how to represent themselves well in an interview situation. I just don't think it's a great measure of a person's worthiness for a degree.

Save that type of thing for your career, not for your education. Your education is your education and you personality type shouldn't affect the level and quality of education you recieve.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
I believe there should be interviews because too often will you be judged on just a few letters and a quick snapshot. The process will be much fairer with interviews.

Although some people are not good with this sort of thing, myself included, I do think that it would make some good practice for the real world.
I think personal statements should be abolished.

You can have people that have the perfect grades to do well in chosen subject but really struggle to write well.
Original post by Besakt

Why do you think that is? I don't really see that myself.
Reply 11
No, the application process is already stressful and long-winded as it is. I'm sure the university staff would LOVE the extra workload of interviewing several thousand students, though.

Original post by Besakt

In what way?
Original post by Genocidal
I believe there should be interviews because too often will you be judged on just a few letters and a quick snapshot. The process will be much fairer with interviews.

Although some people are not good with this sort of thing, myself included, I do think that it would make some good practice for the real world.

But because you aren't good at it don't you think that you'd be at an unfair advantage? You not being good at interviews doesn't reduce your suitability for that degree.

There's a time and a place for practice, uni application isn't one of them. :yep:
Reply 13
Original post by Pride
I see what you're saying.

Here's some thoughts.

Do you need to be passionate about what you're applying for to do it? Obviously you do for courses like med, vet med, dentistry, law, nursing :blah: but what about for something like accountancy? Surely nobody finds that an interesting subject (no offence accountants, just an example), but if you're good at it, does that mean you shouldn't be able to get into accountancy?

and should somebody who is naturally gifted and gets better grades but is not really excited about a subject, be considered for less than somebody who gets worse grades but is really enthusiastic about that subject?

do you see how it's not as easy as that?

For courses like accountancy the interview would be based around mathematical questions, and the interviewer seeing how the way they think. Some people find things like maths interesting and they would be able to show why.
Depends upon if the admission tutor or interviewer thinks they will be able to cope with the course it will be up to the student to demonstrate this.

One person might have passion for a subject but not be able to communicate it. Some people have more charisma than others.

You could show passion without an interview, for example by doing a maths olympiad and getting the relevant books to prepare for it and writing about that in your personal statement.

I think you'd have to look at the exam and how it was graded before judging whether it reflects how academic the student is.

If half of a maths course was graded on presentations and communication skills, and half on a rigorous exam on the academic content of the course, and you had one student who got full marks for presentations and communication skills and then got 40% for the rigorous academic exam, that'd give them 70% and a first. If another student hated presentations and communicating with people, so just missed all the presentations, but then got 100% in the purely academic exam, they'd come out with 50% and a 2:2 overall (I think). So people would think that the student who got the first was better at maths, since their qualification would just say "Mathematics First Class Honours", while the other guy's would say "Mathematics 2:2 Honours" (or something). That's an extreme example, but lots of degrees now aren't purely judged/dependent on your ability in the subject you study.

Interviewers take into account people are nervous and not the best at communicating. You don't necessarily need to talk in an interview, for example the interview can consist of mathematical questions and the interviewer assessing how you work through them.
Reply 14
Original post by EffieFlowers
Why do you think that is? I don't really see that myself.

Original post by Cicerao
No, the application process is already stressful and long-winded as it is. I'm sure the university staff would LOVE the extra workload of interviewing several thousand students, though.

In what way?

Students would be able to demonstrate whether they can cope with the course and interviewers will be able to see whether they are doing the course because they find it interesting or if they are doing it just for the sake of going to university and living the "university life".
But because you aren't good at it don't you think that you'd be at an unfair advantage? You not being good at interviews doesn't reduce your suitability for that degree.

There's a time and a place for practice, uni application isn't one of them. :yep:

I don't think it is at all.

Isn't it an unfair advantage for those who are charismatic can't use their gift to help them get where they need to be rather than just a few letters?

University is an adult location and that's why I believe this is the time and the place for this sort of thing.

Isn't it an unfair advantage for those who are charismatic can't use their gift to help them get where they need to be rather than just a few letters?

University is an adult location and that's why I believe this is the time and the place for this sort of thing.

I wouldn't say it is an unfair advantage if they can't use their charisma, because it doesn't have a negative impact like it would if you were awful at interviews.

I think university should be kept purely about what it is meant for, an education, to learn, I don't think charisma and social skills should affect your right to a university.
Reply 17

This. I know students who have written in their personal statements they have read X, Y and Z books, participated in so many events. Pretty much just talked crap. But as they knew they would not be getting interviews they didn't care as they could get away with it.
Reply 18
Original post by Besakt
For courses like accountancy the interview would be based around mathematical questions, and the interviewer seeing how the way they think. Some people find things like maths interesting and they would be able to show why.
Depends upon if the admission tutor or interviewer thinks they will be able to cope with the course it will be up to the student to demonstrate this.

Interviewers take into account people are nervous and not the best at communicating. You don't necessarily need to talk in an interview, for example the interview can consist of mathematical questions and the interviewer assessing how you work through them.

yes, but wouldn't your grades just show if you were any good at maths?

Why should somebody enthusiastic about accountancy be given more priority than somebody who isn't so much, if the latter gets the better grades?

in an ideal world, we would choose people on effort, but it's about productivity in this world, and it'd be more advantageous for unis (of course not including things like medicine etc. where there are a lot more factors) if they chose the most academic/best at accountancy or whatever the course is.
I wouldn't say it is an unfair advantage if they can't use their charisma, because it doesn't have a negative impact like it would if you were awful at interviews.

I think university should be kept purely about what it is meant for, an education, to learn, I don't think charisma and social skills should affect your right to a university.

I think it does provide an unfair situation whichever way you look at it really.

But I do swing it towards interviews because of the benefits provided by having the experience of it in the future.

The poster below me also brings up a very valid point about lying on one's personal statement. Interviews can help sort this out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending