The Student Room Group

Post Your Economics Question Here

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2560
Original post by helpmekid
Hello, i want to ask what are some good books for A level Economics to help me get better understanding in topic!

Thank You

AQA A Level Economics Student Book by Mr Alain Anderton
this is the one i use i do aqa econ
its pretty good
Reply 2561
what exactly is the foreign currency gap?
Been researching this for a while and I've had no result.
Is the foreign exchange gap the same thing or completely separate
when the interest rate on bonds is negative, does demand for bonds increase or decrease?
Original post by angelic03
when the interest rate on bonds is negative, does demand for bonds increase or decrease?

Depends on what the interest rate was before...
help me solve this.

C=250,000 + 0.8yd
I=500,000
G=1,200,000
T=50,000 + 0.2Y
X=400,000
M=50,000 + 0.25Y
POPULATION=12,000

FIND
1) equilibrium level of GDP

2)autonomous government spending multiplier within the economy and explain what it means

3)level of government budget deficit or surplus and explain what it means

4)if full employment level of GDP is pegged at 20,000,000 by how much should government spending increase to arrive at this GDP level.

explain the king of policy at work here.

5)if the government decides to arrive at this target but through tax, what could be the level of tax cut that could achieve this? what king of fiscal policy is at work here?

6)compute the per capita GDP before and after the a the attainment of the attainment of the full employment GDP level and comment on that.

7)If the economy wants to get 1,000 in order to attain a middle income status what will be the policy option available for them?

8) if the household sector desire to save more by reducing their consumption to C=100,000+0.8yd, what would be the new level of equilibrium GDP.find the level of saving before and after this decision and comment on the answer.

9)explain the concept of paradox of thrift and relate it to the answer in (8) above.
Reply 2565
Hi, could use some help with this Stats based question. Missed a lecture on portfolio analysis so missing the knowledge to do this.

There are two assets which follow normal distributions.
The returns on these assets are given by R1 and R2 respectively where:

R1~N(1.5,1)
R2~N(1.5,2)

I've done the first few question, but am stuck here. Could use any help, thanks :smile:

d) An investor is choosing between Portfolio A (all Asset 1), Portfolio B (invest half your funds in Asset 1 and half of Asset 2) and Portfolio C (all Asset 2). The investor has 100 units to invest.
Calculate the expected return and variance for each portfolio.
Eurozone Debt Crisis Theories?

Does anyone know of Appropriate theories that can be applied to the Eurozone sovereign debt crisis???

I am required to assess how the debt crisis in Europe has evolved in 2012/13.

Naturally, I am expected to underpin my findings with relevant theory.

Please help

Thanks In advance!!!
Reply 2567
Hi,

My question is:

Is Keynesian economics sustainable at all?
Reply 2568
Potential impact of China and India on world trade patterns and the possible reaction of developed economies.
Reply 2569
hey could somebody help me with the evaluation of contractionary Fiscal Policy? ty
Original post by pikomar
hey could somebody help me with the evaluation of contractionary Fiscal Policy? ty

Very topical at the moment!

Take into account the motives for implementing contractionary fiscal policy... E.g. Europe's debt crisis!

Consider the budget deficit! - shows the extent to which the govt. are implementing such policy.

Assess Austerity & it's impact and contrast it with the Keynesian viewpoint.

Hope that helped.
Reply 2571
Original post by meritgoods
Very topical at the moment!

Take into account the motives for implementing contractionary fiscal policy... E.g. Europe's debt crisis!

Consider the budget deficit! - shows the extent to which the govt. are implementing such policy.

Assess Austerity & it's impact and contrast it with the Keynesian viewpoint.

Hope that helped.

that is great thanks! i couldnt find a sufficient evaluation for contr. FP in the book :smile:
Hey could someone help me plan an answer to this Q: Evaluate the UK’s economic performance in recent decades from both an historical and international perspective.

TY
Hi guys, I'd love some help with a question that's part of my economics essay, it's as follows:

"The first part of your essay should use indifference analysis to examine the discrepancies between receiving a high quality education versus one that is inferior. Although there are exceptions, in general high-income households can afford to pay for better schooling. Households with lower incomes may have no choice but to send their children to no (or low) fee schools. In your graphic interpretation of the scenario, use two different budget lines to show this. Also include a discussion about why receiving a first-rate education would result in high utility."

I'm not really sure how to approach the indifference analysis, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
Hi there, I would like to ask for help on answering this question. What do you think are the key points that I have to include?

Discuss the role of money in :

allocation of scarce resources

improving living standards of a country

(12 marks)

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2575
Hi, My questions are:
1. What is the relationship between average productivity and marginal productivity?
2. What are the differences and similarities between average productivity and marginal productivity?
What is the difference between NRU and NAIRU?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2577
State whether the following statements are TRUE, FALSE, or UNCERTAIN,
and in brief sentences, possibly using diagrams, mathematical formulas, or an example, give the reason for your answers. The reasoning is more important than the correct classification.
a) Consider a simultaneous game in which both players have a
dominant strategy. In this case the Nash equilibrium is always Pareto-effcient.

b) In a game where the two players have no dominant strategies,
a Nash equilibrium cannot exist.

c) Two firms with the same marginal costs and competing à la Stackelberg, in equilibrium produce the same quantity.

d) In the Cournot model, firms always share the market equally
(produce the same quantity).

e) The Pearl Theater is a local monopolist in the town of Redcats.
Pearl’s marginal cost is constant and equal to $6. Thus, if it is optimal for Pearl to charge $12 per ticket, then the elasticity of demand at this price must be equal
to 1/2.

f) The cost structure of firms active in an industry is such that
the average cost is always higher than the marginal cost. Then, this industry is a natural monopoly.

g)A dominant strategy equilibrium is always a Nash equilibrium.

h) In a duopoly, with identical firms and homogeneous product,
total surplus does not depend on the type of competition, i.e. quantity (Cournot) vs. price (Bertrand) competition

i) Two firms A and B compete in a duopoly à la Bertrand. Their cost functions are cA(y) = 10yAe cB(y) = 5yB, respectively (where yAand yB are the quantities produced). In equilibrium B will be the only supplier in the market and will set the price equal to the monopoly price pM= 15.

k) In a monopoly situation the equilibrium will never correspond to a quantity on the inelastic section of the demand curve.

l)The market quantity supplied in a monopoly is always smaller than the quantity under perfect competition.
Reply 2578
Okay so the edexcel specification says (under current account deficit and surpluses) that we need to be able to Examine the significance of global imbalances...and i really need help with this. so if someone can answer the following q's to help me understand it, i will really appreciate it!

1. definition- What is global imbalances? i understand its like when some countries have large surpluses and others have deficits-- but if there is a "proper" definition then pls let me know.

2. what factors influence global imbalances?

3. Reasons why it is significant and why it isn't (Because if they ask us to examine its significance then we need counter arguments to say it isn't.)

Thank you in advance
Reply 2579
Structure for 25 marker question AQA??

Quick Reply

Latest