Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, Iwas wondering whether these are relevant examples of government intervention inhealthcare. Please give me feedback on how to improve these in the context ofeconomics and please tell me if I am doing from what examiners may consider asmere observations than interpretations of economics theories.Thanks inadvance!>direct subsidizationof healthcare, especially expensive and long-running treatments such as chemotherapyfor cancer patients. Anotherform of direct subsidization would be building more health facilities to accommodatethe ever-shortage and excessive demand of beds in the NHS.>Indirectsubsidization by encouraging people to join medical fields by offering greaterincentives (maximum wage raise for doctors in the public sector or simply byallocating more budget into scholarships for programs that are going to improvehealthcare, thus, raising social benefit in the long run.)>settingprice ceilings and government watchdogs in private healthcare industries, asprivate healthcare is notorious for exploiting patients due to asymmetricinformation>attracting doctors, nurses and healthcare officials from foreign nations such as Ghana andIndia to work in the NHS by providing them better incentives or facilitiesunavailable to them in their home countries. This increases medical workforceand reduces the workload of the currently stressed out NHS. This would raise laborproductivity.For example,emphasizing on the better standard of living of UK to lure a doctor or reducingimmigration barriers for doctors.>Imposinga higher taxes on demerit goods that cause need for healthcare in the future(cigarettes and alcohol). This tax revenue may be used to fund healthcaresubsidies.>collaborati ngmore frequently with foreign healthcare systems to share new innovation,knowledge and techniques to raise social benefits in the long run. Let’s faceit, one single country doesn’t specialize in R&D of healthcare, so sharingprogress does help in the long run.>removingunneeded bureaucracy or red tape measures that might be hindering the provisionof healthcare at the costs of patients.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tanusha-tomsk)
    1 March 2009

Hello

I used to help A-Level economists in this thread and over PM.

I don't do this anymore though...

(i) I've got too much stuff to do as it is
    (ii) It's been 3 years since I've done my A-Levels
    (iii) I don't even come on TSR that often anymore

However this thread is still alive - thanks to all those who keep it going.

Do visit TSR Economics society - some lovely people over there could help you if you ask nicely.

Best of luck!
    Hi , I was wondering whether these are relevant examples of government intervention inhealthcare. Please give me feedback on how to improve these in the context ofeconomics and please tell me if I am doing from what examiners may consider asmere observations than interpretations of economics theories.Thanks inadvance!

>direct subsidization of healthcare, especially expensive and long-running treatments such as chemotherapyfor cancer patients. Anotherform of direct subsidization would be building more health facilities to accommodate the ever-shortage and excessive demand of beds in the NHS.

>Indirect subsidization by encouraging people to join medical fields by offering greaterincentives (maximum wage raise for doctors in the public sector or simply byallocating more budget into scholarships for programs that are going to improve healthcare, thus, raising social benefit in the long run.)

>setting price ceilings and government watchdogs in private healthcare industries, asprivate healthcare is notorious for exploiting patients due to asymmetric information

>attracting doctors, nurses and healthcare officials from foreign nations such as Ghana and India to work in the NHS by providing them better incentives or facilities unavailable to them in their home countries. This increases medical workforce and reduces the workload of the currently stressed out NHS. This would raise labor productivity.For example,emphasizing on the better standard of living of UK to lure a doctor or reducing immigration barriers for doctors.

>Imposing a higher taxes on demerit goods that cause need for healthcare in the future(cigarettes and alcohol). This tax revenue may be used to fund healthcaresubsidies.

>collaborating more frequently with foreign healthcare systems to share new innovation,knowledge and techniques to raise social benefits in the long run. Let’s faceit, one single country doesn’t specialize in R&D of healthcare, so sharing progress does help in the long run.

>removing unneeded bureaucracy or red tape measures that might be hindering the provisionof healthcare at the costs of patients.

ReputationRep:
    What is the impotance if opportubity cost in goverments and businesses with real lofe exampkes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xnessxmcx)
    What is the impotance if opportubity cost in goverments and businesses with real lofe exampkes
    Hey man my answers to your questions are attached in this file.
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Answer for Oppurtunity Cost for TSR.docx (12.1 KB, 85 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xnessxmcx)
    Here is a version online

Business Example
    Let’s say aprimary school nearby your home has received a subsidy of 60000 pounds.Now withthat money, the school has the option of buying 10 smartboards or hire 4 teachersfor a year.The school administrationfeels that adding more staff is more vital in improving the quality of itseducation as there will be a lower teacher to student ratio than simply adding afew high tech gizmos. Let’s saythe school has hired four new teachers, now the opportunity cost of adding theteachers was the ten smartboards as that was the next best alternative forgone(or simply gone) whilst making a choice. Government policy example Since the Eisenhower's presidency, the USA government has invested over half a trillion dollars toimprove their highway road system. Now what are the opportunity costs of that?USA couldhave allocated that money in improving the quality of existing infrastructure,by refurbishing existing airports, bridges and flyovers. Some transportationofficials and politicians have argued that quality improvement was more crucialthan the expansion of roadways to very remote areas.The governmentcould have accumulated half a trillion dollars’ worth of soveirgn funds. (LikeNorway)Thegovernment could have paid regional subsidies to people living in remote andrural areas (like Cali farmlands), by offering them extra money to move and buyproperty in cities (like NYC). This way they don’t have to build new roads torural areas at the first place! q�'�Q�

ReputationRep:
    Explain with the use of a diagram why the supply of a commodity tends to increase with a rise in its price.

Does the supply line increase or decrease
    Or does the demand line increase or decrease?

Elasticity of Demand
    Elasticity of Supply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randyortonrko)
    Explain with the use of a diagram why the supply of a commodity tends to increase with a rise in its price.

Elasticity of Demand
    Elasticity of Supply

rightward shift in supply curve

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone done the June 2014 a2 unit 4 paper, I'm stuck on the 25 mark question: using the data and your economic knowledge discuss the possible uk balance of payment of an given increasing rate of inflation throughout the global inflation, please help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annab1237)
    Has anyone done the June 2014 a2 unit 4 paper, I'm stuck on the 25 mark question: using the data and your economic knowledge discuss the possible uk balance of payment of an given increasing rate of inflation throughout the global inflation, please help
    An increasing rate of inflation, may lower the value of the UK currency (British Sterling). So I would assume, what you're being asked to do here, is discuss how this could affect the balance of payments.

As the value of our currency falls, this could cause the amount of goods and services we export to other economies to increase (assuming that the goods and services we export are not price inelastic).

The UK economy may also import less, as the cost of imports will have risen, due to our currency being worth less (assuming that the goods and services we import are not price inelastic). This could lead to an improvement on the balance of payments.

But make sure you evaluate, by explaining that it is possible that other economies may have had a higher rate of inflation, and discuss what the implications of that scenario may be, and so forth.

I have an economics degree, but my economics may be a tad rusty. That's just my interpretation of the question, and what an examiner would want you to write!

ReputationRep:
    In the AS/AD model, describe an economy where the level of production (Y) is above the natural level (Yn). Would the economy stay forever in this position? Explain the adjustment process in the economy. Suggest a monetary policy or a fiscal policy to adjust output. Analyse the effect of this policy on price level and employment. Find, collect, present and analyse data from the United Kingdom or France or Italy that illustrate your answer by identifying and describing two occasions/time periods (each covering about 2 to 3 years) anytime since 1945 in which such adjustment process took place.I need ideas on this essay. What do they mean by natural level and how can I do this essay. 1000 words is the limit so need to get the main points down.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I am currently self studying AQA AS and A2 Economics (in 1 year).

I just wanted to find out, how would you answer the 8 mark, 12 mark and 25 mark questions in order to achieve 8/8, 12/12 and 25/25 (full marks)?

Also, for A2 Economics, how would you answer the 10 mark, 15 mark and 25 mark question in order to achieve full marks?

Could someone please help me with this, and any examples of model answers just so I am aware would be appreciated.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,Does anyone have access to the 2015 economics AQA past paper and mark scheme for Unit 1, 2, 3 and Unit 4. I know it is not available online but if anyone can e-mail it to me or share the link to their drive or dropbox were it may have been uploaded. I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randyortonrko)

Elasticity of Demand
    Elasticity of Supply
    (Original post by fedorahat88)
    rightward shift in supply curve
    i thought that change in price level will only create movement along the supply/demand curve
    in this case the supply curve
    so when price increases, quantity supplied of the commodity will extend, ceteris paribus

the supply curve only shifts when non-price factors are affecting supply,
    when the assumption: 'price is the only factor affecting supply, other factors remain constant' breaks down

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mega.white)
    i thought that change in price level will only create movement along the supply/demand curve
    in this case the supply curve
    so when price increases, quantity supplied of the commodity will extend, ceteris paribus

the supply curve only shifts when non-price factors are affecting supply,
    when the assumption: 'price is the only factor affecting supply, other factors remain constant' breaks down

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You are actually right man, sorry !

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with my economics essays i.e. anything above 4 marks I seem to be unable to acquire all the marks.
    My teacher believes I know all the content very well but when it comes to answering questions I'm not so good, does anyone have a structure on how to answer 8markers 12markers and 30markers cheers

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with my economics essays i.e. anything above 4 marks I seem to be unable to acquire all the marks.
    My teacher believes I know all the content very well but when it comes to answering questions I'm not so good, does anyone have a structure on how to answer 8markers 12markers and 30markers cheers

ReputationRep:
    I have a problem with my economics essays i.e. anything above 4 marks I seem to be unable to acquire all the marks.My teacher believes I know all the content very well but when it comes to answering questions I'm not so good, does anyone have a structure on how to answer 8markers 12markers and 30markers cheers

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tblanc1)
    I have a problem with my economics essays i.e. anything above 4 marks I seem to be unable to acquire all the marks.My teacher believes I know all the content very well but when it comes to answering questions I'm not so good, does anyone have a structure on how to answer 8markers 12markers and 30markers cheers
    u can find everything abt the structure of answers from the markschemes!
    try learn the format of the answers by heart on ur own, cuz teachers dont usually teach u the way of answering the questions ie the markscheme
    they only teach u the theories
    what ive been doing since my igcse is to copy the markscheme onto the question paper in point form, and write down how every single mark in the que can be gained
    never skip steps in ur answers, explain every single detail

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mega.white)
    u can find everything abt the structure of answers from the markschemes!
    try learn the format of the answers by heart on ur own, cuz teachers dont usually teach u the way of answering the questions ie the markscheme
    they only teach u the theories
    what ive been doing since my igcse is to copy the markscheme onto the question paper in point form, and write down how every single mark in the que can be gained
    never skip steps in ur answers, explain every single detail

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good idea, cheers

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2018

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.