The Student Room Group

Post Your Economics Question Here

Scroll to see replies

is there anyone can help me with this question. it's data question in page 330 - economics Alain Anderton fourth edition.
it says: an 8500 TEUs vessel sets sail with containers whose volume is only 5000 TEUs. another vessel, whose size is 5000 TEUs, sets sail from the same port to the same destination carrying a full load of 5000 TEUs. using long run average cost envelope diagram, compare the possible average costs of the 2 vessels for the journey

this questions is in " economies of scale"
please help me.
please cud u help me with this questions.am a postgrad student.why is market structure important for business conduct? 3000 words.
:no:
emoticons
please cud u help me with this questions.am a postgrad student.why is market structure important for business conduct? 3000 words.
emoticons

Because it underlies everything, if the firm can't make a profit in the marketplace it goes out of business. For example is the industry becomes to concentrated, prices may be kept higher to enable weaker or smaller firms to survive, therefore avoiding any anti-competitive legal action on the big firms.

You'll get 3000 words from that easy. Post-grad? Don't you cover something specific, that's a very general economics question.
Quick query, how might unemployment affect income inequality? Other than the obvious reason that they'll be more people earning no income.
Gascoigne
Quick query, how might unemployment affect income inequality? Other than the obvious reason that they'll be more people earning no income.

get doing some serious maths/econ, not this ****.
a) Explain how a Philiips Curve arises
potterotter
a) Explain how a Philiips Curve arises

i think it's applicable when you've fixed or adaptive expectations.
Reply 1068
Or rational expectations and sticky wages/prices
Can u see my attachment and then see wether im right please.
Would i draw a demand curve with a line going to the right to show an increase in demand? but it also says there is a increase in price and we were told if this happens then there would be less demand so im confused. Then would i draw a dis ecquilibrium graph because demand demand is greater than supply?
Happy Kid
Can u see my attachment and then see wether im right please.
Would i draw a demand curve with a line going to the right to show an increase in demand? but it also says there is a increase in price and we were told if this happens then there would be less demand so im confused. Then would i draw a dis ecquilibrium graph because demand demand is greater than supply?

I'm not entirely sure but I think you would have a large shift in demand and a small shift in supply, resulting in a much higher equilibrium price.
Reply 1071
Discuss the likely effect on demand for both Playstation consoles and games if there were a decline in real incomes in their major markets such as the UK, USA and Japan.
The Question is 15 marks... It's due in for tomorrow, can someone help me out please? I think it's to do with inferior goods or something related to that.
htn
Discuss the likely effect on demand for both Playstation consoles and games if there were a decline in real incomes in their major markets such as the UK, USA and Japan.
The Question is 15 marks... It's due in for tomorrow, can someone help me out please? I think it's to do with inferior goods or something related to that.

Looks a bit simple for a 15 mark question, and whether or not it's to do with inferior goods will depend on when the question was originally asked (Playstation consoles are inferior to PS2/PS3 now but possibly not for that exam paper).

If it is a normal good then the basic idea would be an inwards shift of the demand curve for the consoles, resulting in a lower quantity and price (draw the supply and demand diagram, marking the equilibrium price and quantity before and after the decline in real incomes). The extent of the shift will depend on the income elasticity of demand (YED) for the consoles. If it is an inferior good then the demand curve would shift outwards and YED would be negative.

As for the Playstation games, I suppose you could say that they complement the consoles so would also experience a fall in demand as the demand for the consoles fell (or the demand for both rises if it is an inferior good). You could also possibly mention something about buying games for a old console being a substitute for buying a new console, but I'm not sure how much effect that would have. One last thing, although the demand for new games is likely to fall, the demand for used games might rise (these could be seen as inferior goods).

Hopefully there's something useful in that. :smile:
Reply 1073
htn

Fall in real incomes (Y) causes demand to decrease as relative cost per unit increases so less people can afford it because it's a luxury good (in economics terms at least :p:). The demand for games will also decrease due to derived demand. As there is decline in Y in manufacturing countries, a fall in sales may lead to the companies tryin to reduce their economic rent (in terms of Factors of production) and hence people may be made unemployed, hence further decreasing real incomes and continuing in a spiral, depending on the extent of the fall in real incomes and the price elasticity of demand for the games consoles. As most households already own a PS2 the effect on consoles sales will be less profound, although further sales will decrease (such as PS3), but the effect on games sales depends on the differing individual PED's of each game, especially as it does not comprise a large proportion of one's income- the effect will be more felt in poorer households. In the LR however, games prices will have to fall to meet the XS, as they always do, and an equilibrium will be reached. Exploitation of the market for pre-owned game is also a factor.
Reply 1074
Thanks for the help guys. :biggrin:
i need to come up with a power point for economics on lots of issues to do with cuts in i/r.
i am working within a group and my subjects to cover are:
supply of money
the money market
credit availability.

quite frankly i haven't got a clue what to include for each. i have got together some graphs from sources like the Bank of England which shows what's been happening to each topic recently. but i need to be able to explain what this means.
for money supply it says on the Bank of Englands website:

"Provisional figures for August indicate that M4 rose by £24.6 billion, seasonally adjusted; above the average flow for the previous six months of £13.6 billion. The twelve-month growth rate rose to 11.5% from 11.2% in July.

M4 lending increased by £22.0 billion or 1.0%, seasonally adjusted, in August. The twelve-month growth rate fell to 12.3% from 12.7% in July."
:confused:
How do u draw a disequilibrium graph where demand exceeds supply?
Hi guys, I just need brief pointers on these questions to get me going:

1) http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/jan/22/highereducation.education
Does the passage suggest that education always increases labour productivity?

I think it does as there is lots of emphasis on training the workforce but am I missing anything?

2)Discuss the effect on the LRAS curve of immigration.

I believe that immigration would shift the LRAS to the right as in the long-run we would have a greater labour force?

3) Explain at what point on its LRAS curve an economy will be operationg if it is close to becoming a full employment society.

Also, which of the follwoing would cause a decrease in LRAS: an increase in unemployment, an increase in general price level, a decrease in investment or a decrease in demand for exports?

I think its an increase in unemployment, but I'm not totally sure.

and finally,

would net emigration decrease both AS and AD?

Pointers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reply 1078
Discuss the extent to which firms in the UK TV broadcasting industry behave as oligopolists.
I know why they are oligoppolists, but dont know any evaluative comments for why they wouldnt be oligopolistic.
thanks
[QUOTE="Graphix"]Hi guys, I just need brief pointers on these questions to get me going:

1) http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2001/jan/22/highereducation.education
Does the passage suggest that education always increases labour productivity?

I think it does as there is lots of emphasis on training the workforce but am I missing anything?

2)Discuss the effect on the LRAS curve of immigration.

I believe that immigration would shift the LRAS to the right as in the long-run we would have a greater labour force?

QUOTE]

It's criticizing education in 6th forms not being of the right type to fill the skills gap. Hence productivity is lower than it could be.

Quick Reply

Latest