Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Liliahh)
    I have an essay title to discuss the differences between Economic Growth and Economic Development, not to refers to any particular country really but I grately appreciated with your information...
    I've never done economics before and so trying to find some evidence to support the points of Life Expectancy, Poverty Rate and Adult Literacy (they form the foundation of Eco Development from what the textbook say dont they?).. and also trying to find some points relate to Eco Dev beyond that..
    It's easiest to think of development as the QUALITY of growth. So you have a look at the rising GDP figures and you think to yourself, "but have living standards risen with it?"

Take life expectancy, for example. What you'll find is that as incomes increases, so does expected lifespan. Not, of course, when the country has an AIDS pandemic. This suggests that the development problems run deep, while the GDP/cap might be skyrocketing.

Not sure if you were asking a question or not :p: So, just sayin'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sports Racer)
    It's easiest to think of development as the QUALITY of growth. So you have a look at the rising GDP figures and you think to yourself, "but have living standards risen with it?"

Take life expectancy, for example. What you'll find is that as incomes increases, so does expected lifespan. Not, of course, when the country has an AIDS pandemic. This suggests that the development problems run deep, while the GDP/cap might be skyrocketing.

Not sure if you were asking a question or not :p: So, just sayin'.
    Yeah it was a question, thanks very much!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I need some urgent help. I'm not sure if these statements are true or false:

(1) The economy’s average propensity to consume out of disposable income is always lower than its marginal propensity to consume.

(2) As disposable income rises, average propensity to consume out of disposable income will also rise.

Thanks very much! (Rep+ available)

ReputationRep:
    Heeey!
    omgosh this is looking really good!
    I have just started AS Ecnomics,took it all came from interest,then just realised this isn't easy!!

I have few questions to ask:
    1)What reasons lead financial crisis and credit crunch?what is the relationship between them?
    2)How can exchange rates be measured?
    3)Finally,any tips for achieving A in exams?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MCYan)
    Heeey!
    omgosh this is looking really good!
    I have just started AS Ecnomics,took it all came from interest,then just realised this isn't easy!!

I have few questions to ask:
    1)What reasons lead financial crisis and credit crunch?what is the relationship between them?
    2)How can exchange rates be measured?
    3)Finally,any tips for achieving A in exams?

thanks
    I love your enthusiasm! At AS it is easy, once you get your head around it...
    of course, being a completely new subject it'll take a little while to get used to it's demands (:p:) but once you get through the core content, it all seems to fit in well with each other, and has very diverse applications, making it much easier to grasp as a whole.

1) In short, Sub Prime mortgages. Cbb to explain in length, look it up...lots on google, im sure :p:
    2) I believe this is in Unit 6 Economics (Edexcel), however in simple terms, the exchange rate is determined by supply of pounds and demand for pounds. So, for example, if the Current Account was improving, this means that many pounds are being demanded to buy UK exports, and so demand for pounds is high, meaning the value of the pound will appreciate.
    3) Make sure you know the key topics well, and posses good exam technique...rest is plain sailing really

Good Luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JLou01)
    Hi, I need some urgent help. I'm not sure if these statements are true or false:

(1) The economy’s average propensity to consume out of disposable income is always lower than its marginal propensity to consume.

(2) As disposable income rises, average propensity to consume out of disposable income will also rise.

Thanks very much! (Rep+ available)
    lol...
    1) True- if you were to draw a graph illustrating the two, the MPC would obv be higher; however, there are points where the APC is higher than MPC.
    2) False. APC is largely dependant on relative value of assets as opposed to disposable income; although given more money, you- in theory- have more money to spend, you may be spending a lower proportion of the income you now earn, and hence APC does not increase...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by random18)
    I love your enthusiasm! At AS it is easy, once you get your head around it...
    of course, being a completely new subject it'll take a little while to get used to it's demands (:p:) but once you get through the core content, it all seems to fit in well with each other, and has very diverse applications, making it much easier to grasp as a whole.

1) In short, Sub Prime mortgages. Cbb to explain in length, look it up...lots on google, im sure :p:
    2) I believe this is in Unit 6 Economics (Edexcel), however in simple terms, the exchange rate is determined by supply of pounds and demand for pounds. So, for example, if the Current Account was improving, this means that many pounds are being demanded to buy UK exports, and so demand for pounds is high, meaning the value of the pound will appreciate.
    3) Make sure you know the key topics well, and posses good exam technique...rest is plain sailing really

Good Luck!
    thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    After analysing the trends of the main economic indicators that inform the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) decision making process, what base-rate (interest rate) decision would you recommend to the MPC when it meets in December this year 2008? please help me i have to write 2000 words on it.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charikaar)
    After analysing the trends of the main economic indicators that inform the Monetary Policy Committee (MPC) decision making process, what base-rate (interest rate) decision would you recommend to the MPC when it meets in December this year 2008? please help me i have to write 2000 words on it.....
    This should be a good starting point.

http://www.bankofengland.co.uk/publi...2008/index.htm

ReputationRep:
    sorry i didnt understand that..... r u refering me to that link you have listed..... i cnt use those information coz my teacher might knw about it....

ReputationRep:
    sorry i didnt understand that..... r u refering me to that link you have listed..... i cnt use those information coz my teacher might knw about it....
    Yes. Why can't you use that information as long as you don't copy it? After all, it's the conclusions that the MPC themselves have reached and have made available to the public domain.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    At the very least you can use it to find out which economic indicators they use to come to their conclusions.

ReputationRep:
    what criticisms can be levied at the perfect competition model? Thanks. I've tried searching online, but it doesn't really have much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 02mik_e)
    what criticisms can be levied at the perfect competition model? Thanks. I've tried searching online, but it doesn't really have much
    The absence of super-normal profits means that there is a lack of funds to carry out necessary research & development (think pharmaceutical firms).

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the link economist you are realy helpful........ i am at uni doing my second year n will have to hand in one other assignment which i have already completed but i just want to knw if i have gathered the right points in my essay.

The question is, Does the reoccurance of financial crisis leads to the inefficiency of financial market..... i explained financial market in three forms..... Capital market( which includes.... stock market, money market, commodities market and bonds market, ) Derivaties market, and currency market .

Also the financial crisis that i refered to are: Credit crunch (liquidity trap) ( Fall in Share index causing difficulties in WEALTH and firms find it harder to raise fund i also said that a fall in share price has derived from short selling.... is this point correct ? )
    i have explained those points in more details but its only one sided argument that i have made..... in the question it says the word DOES....... so am i not suppose to mention mething like,,,, the reoccurance of financial crisis did not lead to the inefficiency of financial market coz of this n that................. please advise me on my points n if you have smething relevant tell me so that i can include them in my essay...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help Economist.... i have another question to ask.... Does the reoccurance of financial crisis leads to inefficiency of financial market.. i have mentioned .... Financial market in three forms... Capital market, Currency market and Derivaties market. i have talked about the current crisis such as Credit Crunch and Fall in share prices.... i have mentioned that a fall in share price is derived frm short-selling am i correct ? i have mentioned the effect of all on this on Allocative efficiency in primary market and informational and operational efficiency in secondary market..... i have also mentioned the three forms of efficiency of EMH..... i just want to knw if i have mentioned the right points have i ? do you have any more ideas about financial crisis leading to inefficiency of financial market ? But this seems to be only one sided argument.... dnt you think, it should be two sided argument... because it says the word DOES in the question

Thank You...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the help Economist.... i have another question to ask.... Does the reoccurance of financial crisis leads to inefficiency of financial market.. i have mentioned .... Financial market in three forms... Capital market, Currency market and Derivaties market. i have talked about the current crisis such as Credit Crunch and Fall in share prices.... i have mentioned that a fall in share price is derived frm short-selling am i correct ? i have mentioned the effect of all on this on Allocative efficiency in primary market and informational and operational efficiency in secondary market..... i have also mentioned the three forms of efficiency of EMH..... i just want to knw if i have mentioned the right points have i ? do you have any more ideas about financial crisis leading to inefficiency of financial market ? But this seems to be only one sided argument.... dnt you think, it should be two sided argument... because it says the word DOES in the question

Thank You...

ReputationRep:
    hi everyone. i am a newbie member of thstudentroom. i have a question for my homework and i need help. i will be so grateful if someone can help. here is the question:

These variables known for an economy:

C=100 + 0.8Yd

Yd = Y – ty Md=2y – 9000r

G=100 M=300

t=1/6

I = 100 – 1000r

a) Find is-lm curves functions for this economy
    b) Find equilibrium point, Y and i
    c) for equilbrium point find budget extra or deficiency

ReputationRep:
    Need help with these two questions (multiple choice). The answer and reasons to why it is. Thanks.

1) In market economy, the market mechanism can achieve all the following except;

a) signalling changes in consumer tastes
    b) causing supply to respond to changes in demand
    c) eliminating excess supply and demand
    d) ensuring a fair distrubution of all types of good

2) resources are allocated through the market mechanism partly by;

a) the existence of external costs
    b) the signalling function of prices
    c) the provision of public goods
    d) over-supply of merit goods

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student112233)
    Need help with these two questions (multiple choice). The answer and reasons to why it is. Thanks.

1) In market economy, the market mechanism can achieve all the following except;

a) signalling changes in consumer tastes
    b) causing supply to respond to changes in demand
    c) eliminating excess supply and demand
    d) ensuring a fair distrubution of all types of good

2) resources are allocated through the market mechanism partly by;

a) the existence of external costs
    b) the signalling function of prices
    c) the provision of public goods
    d) over-supply of merit goods
    I think the answer to question 1) is d).
    This is because goods are supplied to those who are willing and able to buy it. If individuals are unable to buy them they will not automatically be allocated the same value goods, that the very rich are able to purchase. This will be because Gov. have less control in a market economy. This ---> unequal distribution of goods
    I think that's a valid answer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2018

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.