Turn on thread page Beta

Post Your Economics Question Here watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Could it any of you just answer a couple of these for a student economics mini survey?
    Thank you !

1. What do YOU believe has caused the credit crunch?
    2. How long do you predict it to last?
    3. Have local (small) businesses near you have been affected?
    4. Have you and how are you being affected by the credit crunch?
    5. How are you (going) to respond(ing) to the credit crunch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by time.to.dance)
    Could it any of you just answer a couple of these for a student economics mini survey?
    Thank you !

1. What do YOU believe has caused the credit crunch?
    2. How long do you predict it to last?
    3. Have local (small) businesses near you have been affected?
    4. Have you and how are you being affected by the credit crunch?
    5. How are you (going) to respond(ing) to the credit crunch?
    1. A multitude of factors, too many to talk about here, but significant contribution has been made by over-excited, greedy and poorly educated city-workers who didn't actually understand what they were doing. Hence, the people who know what they are doing are still making money.

2. Depends entirely on business and consumer confidence which is directly related to how governments and banks act during the turmoil. Anything up to 2012/2013

3. Direct vicinity: not too badly but that is because a lot of the people living in my area have secure jobs and are not only living off their personal incomes.
    Bristol as a whole: quite badly but not disastrously, a lot of the excess service providers like poor quality restaurants and hairdressers etc are finding it hard, but only because they had a poor business strategy and were badly run.

4. Not really being affected to be honest. I have a very secure job, due to the people in the area, and this provides all of the income i need. Things if anything are going to get cheaper which is always a nice benefit. My parents are not really massively affected by it because my dad and I had actually been aware of the possibility of this happening for a year or two so they have saved money etc.

5. I am saving a bit, but no more than i would anyway. If you can, the best way to get the economy out of a situation like this is to spend your money. The problem is far too many people have been living beyond their means for far too long and are now in trouble when their creditors come calling wanting their money back.

ReputationRep:
    Can someone please explain to me what liquidity actually is.

ReputationRep:
    liquidity is the capital used in order to finance the day to day running of the business. People tend to call it the life blood of the business because without a company can not operate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ramos_Spurs)
    liquidity is the capital used in order to finance the day to day running of the business. People tend to call it the life blood of the business because without a company can not operate.
    So is liquidity the same as cash flow? In simple terms how much money a bank or firm has that it can lend?

ReputationRep:
    1) outline 2 possible scales of economies available to a consumer electronics manufacturer? (6 marks)

2) 'dvd recorders are likely to fall rapidly in price over the nxt few years'. how may this effect the market for video cassette recorders (VCR's)? (8marks)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by studentbug)
    1) outline 2 possible scales of economies available to a consumer electronics manufacturer? (6 marks)

2) 'dvd recorders are likely to fall rapidly in price over the nxt few years'. how may this effect the market for video cassette recorders (VCR's)? (8marks)
    What do you think? We're here to help, not do your homework for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    What do you think? We're here to help, not do your homework for you
    well i wouldnt be asking if i knew the answer.

1) erm....no idea. thats why i decided to ask

2) well i kinda know the answer to this.... erm...The declining prices in dvd recorders will further isolate the sales of vcr's and cause the demand for the VCR's to be really low / while increasing the number of sales for dvd recorders.

but i dont know whats need of me to get the 8 marks for that question.

Help please!!

ReputationRep:
    You can't have no idea. You know what economies of scale are, right? Think of each type (production, marketing, etc etc) and see if they can be applied.
    2) wants you to mention that the two are substitutes (you get extra marks for using the right terminology), and so the demand for one can be affected by the price for the other. Specifically, a fall in the price of DVD players will cause an inward shift of demand for VCRs (draw a graph to illustrate).

ReputationRep:
    hmmm....

ReputationRep:
    dont listen to him...his a yido

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kev123)
    dont listen to him...his a yido
    Oi, what are you saying? Anyway yids know a lot about money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coren111)
    Oi, what are you saying? Anyway yids know a lot about money
    was i wrong about i said?

ReputationRep:
    was i wrong about i said?
    it wasn't very accurate.

liquidity is a measure of how easily a business is able to turn its' capital stocks into cash in order to meet cashflow demands

ReputationRep:
    I have few questions to ask regarding Demand and Suppy, (pictures are attached). some of these questions involve graphs, just annoucing it advance

Questions 3-7 is continued to next page

I hope you can all see this picture,it is not very clear,I have to admit.

and 6&7 plus next question

17-19

20-21

If you are sure about the answers,could you explain to me briefly?
    Thanks very much in advance
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    @MCYan: What do you think the answers should be? By now you should at least be able to have a go. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    @MCYan: What do you think the answers should be? By now you should at least be able to have a go. :yes:
    By now?Im not relying you,I promise!I really dont understand,some of the answers r so similar to each other! please give me any clues!otherwise i wudnt have asked you
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by MCYan)
    By now?Im not relying you,I promise!I really dont understand,some of the answers r so similar to each other! please give me any clues!otherwise i wudnt have asked you
    I really don't have time to include explanations but I get the answers as:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    2. B
    3. B
    4. C
    5. B
    6. C
    7. A
    8. B
    17. C
    18. B
    19. A
    20. E
    21. D
    30. E

No guarantee that I got any of those right; that was very quick and the letters were a little confusing at times.

ReputationRep:
    You are brilliant lol

With the aid of a diagram, explain the effect of a fall in the level of subisidies for local bus services.

Discuss whether subsidies alone are a sufficient policy to halt the decline in demand for local bus services.

ReputationRep:
    Tell us what you think Emma :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 11, 2018

University open days

• Manchester Metropolitan University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • University of Chester
    Chester campuses Undergraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Ambitious, driven, developing your career & employability? Aspiring in your field, up-skilling after a career break? Then our Postgrad Open Evening is for you. Postgraduate
    Wed, 14 Nov '18
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.