The Student Room Group

My hair gets greasy within one day! (male)

What can I do? It means I have to have a shower and wash my hair every day. My hair is thinning btw which is why it looks ridiculous in the morning. Why does it get so greasy so fast? And how do I keep it from getting so greasy so quick? Any products you can recommend? I am using head and shoulders at the moment.

Scroll to see replies

Talcum powder is a life saver.
Trust me, when your hairs looking greasy just rub some of this in and then comb it through.

Not sure what to do to prevent it but, yeah. :smile:
It could be the shampoo you use. My cousin sister's hair would get greasy after a day or two of using Pantene but that's not the case for me. Different hair suits different shampoo/conditioner.

Or you could use dry shampoo
Reply 3
Hormones buzzin :bee:

Don't use any other extra hair products apart from Shampoo, and try touching your hair less as well.

Weird word of advice, but it works :awesome:
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
What can I do? It means I have to have a shower and wash my hair every day. My hair is thinning btw which is why it looks ridiculous in the morning. Why does it get so greasy so fast? And how do I keep it from getting so greasy so quick? Any products you can recommend? I am using head and shoulders at the moment.

Yeah try a different shampoo/ conditioner.

And also, the more you wash your hair, the more greasy it will be so try washing it every other day if you can. Trust me it helps :smile:
Reply 5
Do you wash it twice in one shower? If not try it.
If this doesn't work wash it 3 times.

If this doesn't work then you might be being paranoid and it might not be as greasy as you think.
DontJudge is right, it's most likely just your hormones; however, do try and touch your hair less and try not to roll around or go crazy in your sleep.

Don't use conditioner. And don't use Head and Shoulders - while different shampoo types work for different people, I've never met anyone for whom H&S works.
Maybe try Timotei or Herbal Essences?

Talcum powder can indeed help, as can hairspray.
Reply 7
- Don't use conditioner/ other products

- Improve your diet/ exercise/ drink more water

- Use a shampoo for greasy hair

- Use dry shampoo or talcum powder for a quick fix so you don't have to shower every day

I am using head and shoulders at the minute too and my hair seems to get much greasier with it than a more expensive/ better quality shampoo for greasy hair! (I washed my hair this time yesterday and it's already feeling a bit on the greasy side) Herbal Essences works better for me.
(edited 12 years ago)
I also have this problem....
Original post by Vixen47
It could be the shampoo you use. My cousin sister's hair would get greasy after a day or two of using Pantene but that's not the case for me. Different hair suits different shampoo/conditioner.

Or you could use dry shampoo

Is this a mistake or a term I don't know?

OP: maybe get a really short haircut. When my hair looked greasy, I was told to stop conditioning so much and just use shampoo. I'm not sure if that's good advice, but it seems to have worked for me.
Original post by Mocking_bird
Talcum powder is a life saver.
Trust me, when your hairs looking greasy just rub some of this in and then comb it through.

Not sure what to do to prevent it but, yeah. :smile:

Talcum powder deffo :smile: and the prevention is going to sound stupid but here it goes...stop washing your hair so much! Ideally you should only wash your hair 2/3 times a week. Honestly the less you wash your hair the longer it will take for it to get greasy again in between washes :smile: it's just a pain doing it because you feel self conscious but it truthfully will prevent you from having to wash it every day.
Reply 11
Original post by arsenicandoldlace
Talcum powder deffo :smile: and the prevention is going to sound stupid but here it goes...stop washing your hair so much! Ideally you should only wash your hair 2/3 times a week. Honestly the less you wash your hair the longer it will take for it to get greasy again in between washes :smile: it's just a pain doing it because you feel self conscious but it truthfully will prevent you from having to wash it every day.

This. If you stop washing your hair as much it will eventually take longer to get greasy! It needs it's natural oils back. Saying that, I wash my hair every night too out of habit.
Reply 12
You have to wash daily?! Life's a b****** at times eh?!
Reply 13
I have the same problem, the only way around it that i've found so far is just to wash it everyday. I don't like using talcum power or dry shampoo because it still feels kinda greasy which isn't a very pleasant feeling. A lot of the time it's the feeling more than the look that makes me feel the need to wash it, it doesn't look too bad after a couple of days, but I hate how it feels.
I don't think I can put it down to the shampoo/conditioner I use because I use all different kinds. I do touch my hair a hell of a lot though, especially when it's all blowing around in the wind, I don't really have a choice! So I can probably put it down to that.

I could just cut it all off I guess....haha
Reply 14
Thanks for the suggestions. A lot of people on here is telling me to stop washing my hair every day however I only wash my hair everyday only du to my hai8r looking ridiculous the next day due to it being really greasy. I will try a different shampoo (recommendations?) and I will try powder in my hair.
Special shampoo. Oh, and don't wash your hair really thoroughly every day. I read somewhere that people with greasy hair tend to wash their hair more thoroughly as if to make sure all the oil is out, but this makes your hair more greasy. Not sure how this works but there you go!
Original post by Anonymous

How long is your hair? mine is quite long- shoulder length and I have the same problem. I'm sick of washing it every time I go out, even twice if I'm going out in the evening about an hour and a half before to stop it looking like this. I am also intrested in finding a solution.
Reply 18
If my room is too warm when I sleep it gets greasy overnight.

Also, washing your hair everyday can speed up the thinning process. My hair is thin and I was advised to not wash it everyday if possible.
there is a theory that i've heard, that using no shampoo, and only washing your hair under water for a short period of time actually helps hair regrowth and reduces the oilyness.
The only issue is the transistion phase where your hair looks really greasy for a while , but eventually, the natural oil balance stabilises and you require no hair products for cleaning and styling your hair as the hair becomes stronger and thicker.

Quick Reply

Latest