The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Dphil and PhD in English (Oxbridge)

I've been looking for a thread like the one I'm creating, but was unsuccessful. So here it is. Anyone else interested? I've applied to Cambridge's PhD and Oxford's DPhil in English. I'm currently awaiting BoGS approval at Cambridge. Anybody else applying to these programs? If so, where do you stand in the process.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm applying for Eng PhD at Cambridge - as it currently stands I'm "under consideration by degree commitee." I submitted my application about two weeks ago but I think it took quite a while for one of my referees to upload her statement.

I feel like I've got a fairly strong application, but I'm not sure if Cambridge would be very into my proposal.

Have you applied elsewhere as well or just Oxbridge?
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford
Reply 2
What is your area of focus? All the best to you.

I'm applying to one program in the US and one more in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by Shakesper

I'm applying for the Oxford DPhil in English, a couple more UK ones (not Cambridge though), and about six US schools. What's your focus?
Reply 4
Shakespeare (hence the name). You?
Reply 5
early modern, but definitely not Shakespeare :wink: However, I admire your courage!
Reply 6

My area is theory of tragedy, incorporating classical/early modern eras. But I'm approaching it from a much more philosophy-based standpoint, with a big emphasis on critical theory. The early modern stuff I'm sure they'd be interested in, it's just that I think it may be too focused on theory.
Reply 7
Original post by Theridamas
My area is theory of tragedy, incorporating classical/early modern eras. But I'm approaching it from a much more philosophy-based standpoint, with a big emphasis on critical theory. The early modern stuff I'm sure they'd be interested in, it's just that I think it may be too focused on theory.

Have you found a suitable supervisor? If your interests coincide and your proposal is strong, I see no issue.
Reply 8
yes, what about David Hillman at Cambridge? He's not afraid of theory :smile:
Reply 9
Yeah, I was thinking that Hillman would perhaps be interested. I guess my concern isn't that Cambridge wouldn't be able to 'handle' my proposal (because, I mean, it's Cambridge) but more that there doesn't seem to be a very big departmental interest in what I'm into (Deleuzian philosophy).

But then again, you never know.
Reply 10
Anybody with offers yet?
Reply 11
Just received an email from the Gates Scholarship asking for me to interview! I won't be able to go to Cambridge without full funding, so this is wonderful news for me. I'm sure it would be wonderful news for anybody. Weird thing is, I don't have BoGS approval yet. Hmm.
Wow, that's great news! It must mean something good - I'm much in the same boat regarding funding, so rather jealous. I just missed out on an external scholarship also, which is a bit of a downer.

What country are you from btw?

Good luck with the interview!
Reply 13
Thanks so much, Theridamas! I really hope you get your needed funds. I know what it's like to feel trapped by finances.
I'm from the U.S., but did a second MA in the UK.
How about you?
Ah lovely, I'm in Australia myself. Went for a Commonwealth Scholarship but didn't get it... Hoping to hear from the Gates trust sometime, but I have a few other universities as backup. Let me know how it goes!

Have you had a look on the Gates Trust website at all the past recipients? Most of them seem to be engineers talking about developing new water filtration systems for third world countries etc etc - I had a hard time thinking how to justify an English PhD as contributing to helping others in the same way :rolleyes:
Reply 15
The Wolfson Foundation scholarships in the humanities

The awards are available for doctoral research only, and will be paid over three years (or up to six years part time). The value of each award is £75,000 (£25,000 per annum on a full time basis). The award will cover full fees, maintenance and an element for research and training costs. The selection of students to be awarded a scholarship will be made by each university, with recommendations agreed by the Wolfson Foundation.

Selected host institutions are: University College, London, Cambridge, Edinburgh, Oxford, Shaffield, Southampton, Warwick, York, and SOAS.

The institutions have been carefully selected based on a formula drawing on 2008 Research Assessment Exercise scores and average number of Arts and Humanities Research Council postgraduate awards.
Each university will be offered three Wolfson Scholarships, one for each of the selected disciplines. The first awards are for students beginning their doctoral study at the start of the academic year 2012-13.

For details, follow the links: http://www.wolfson.org.uk/_uploads/d...-15-9-11-1.pdf and http://www.wolfson.org.uk/news/
Reply 16
Still waiting on BoGS. Anybody hear anything yet?
Reply 17
I have an official offer from Cambridge! Received it last week. Sorry to delay in posting. Now for the Gates Cambridge interview on February 4th!

Anybody else with progress or news?
Congratulations! Good luck with the interview!

I've still got the 'under consideration by degree comittee' so I'm not very hopeful. Not sure when the next round of offers is, but I've had a good offer for elsewhere which I'm quite happy about.

How are you going to prepare for the Gates interview? From looking at the Gates website they seem to like people who appear a little bit quirky rather than people who just tick all the boxes...
Reply 19
I have an official offer from Cambridge! Received it last week. Sorry to delay in posting. Now for the Gates Cambridge interview on February 4th!

Anybody else with progress or news?

Congratulations!!:smile: Will you be accepting the offer or are you planning to wait for Oxford?

I'm not expecting to hear from Oxford until late March (it's gonna be a torturous wait); does Cambridge's English dept generally notify applicants earlier?

Quick Reply