The Student Room Group

X-Factor Culture fuelled the Riots claims IDS.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2011/dec/09/x-factor-culture-fuelled-riots

Good grief! What next? Recession in UK caused by mass unemployment?
Reply 1
Hmmm...Do people really feel jealous of these X Factor "winners"? I just think it was mob mentality for the most part. Those people didn't see themselves as individuals. They were hidden by their anonymity which fueled their behaviour. Any given day, if you were to ask someone to steal a TV and burn down houses and shops, of course they would say no. I do however acknowledge that there must have been a trigger in order for this to have happened.
Reply 2
I agree.

When they played "I predict a riot" in July I knew it would cause trouble.

Those chavs like their dubstep and pop culture.
Here we go again, another political figure/commentator trying to be too clever with their over-analysis. Seriously with something as vague as this issue, you can find 'links' with anything you want if you look hard enough for it.
Thething is he's actually mostly right.

argued that some of the looting and robbery was fuelled by an acquisitive consumer culture. "If you look at the footballers, you look at our celebrity culture, we seem to be saying, 'This is the way you want to be'. We seem to be a society that celebrates all the wrong people," he said.

"We do not celebrate people who have made success out of serious hard work."

Duncan Smith also blamed a society in which "a sense of structure and authority in kids' lives had collapsed".

These statements are clearly true. The X-factor celebrity culture among other things has created a generation with no belief in the value of hard work and no respect for hard work as the only real way of success. And if they don't believe in hard work, they can't see how else they are supposed to get they things they want and see on their idols other than theft and other crime.
Reply 5
What utter bull****, its ghetto chav culture
I see what he means but I disagree. I think it's too simplistic to be used as an excuse for the riots.
I don't like the X-Factor at all, or any show like it. It has it's many faults but this certainly isn't one of them.

Original post by DdotT
What utter bull****, its ghetto chav culture

Not all the scrotes who rioted were chavs though.
Reply 7
Original post by thunder_chunky
I see what he means but I disagree. I think it's too simplistic to be used as an excuse for the riots.
I don't like the X-Factor at all, or any show like it. It has it's many faults but this certainly isn't one of them.

Not all the scrotes who rioted were chavs though.

Agreed but its all deeply tied into it.
For example if you look at images on the news (live in these areas) you'd manly see black/mixed race/white chavs/some asians (zero orientals) standing off against the police.
Reply 8
Up until this year (when it's been a bit ****, or perhaps ****ter than usual) the demographic for X Factor was young, old, rich, poor. I actually doubt many of the rioters/looters have ever watched X Factor lol......not very gangsta is it
Reply 9
Original post by Aequat omnes cinis
Thething is he's actually mostly right.

argued that some of the looting and robbery was fuelled by an acquisitive consumer culture. "If you look at the footballers, you look at our celebrity culture, we seem to be saying, 'This is the way you want to be'. We seem to be a society that celebrates all the wrong people," he said.

"We do not celebrate people who have made success out of serious hard work."

Duncan Smith also blamed a society in which "a sense of structure and authority in kids' lives had collapsed".

These statements are clearly true. The X-factor celebrity culture among other things has created a generation with no belief in the value of hard work and no respect for hard work as the only real way of success. And if they don't believe in hard work, they can't see how else they are supposed to get they things they want and see on their idols other than theft and other crime.

Like bankers and politicians? He should look closer to home for the answer to this country's problems. Never mind though, he won't have time to do this as the UK is on borrowed time and may not need a government in the short to medium term.
And dont forget MP's are not allowed to tell you the real reason why these riots only occured in certain areas of the UK.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending