Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    question?
    do you think the british would be strong enough wthout america holding us up?

my oppinion is..no..and sorry being british and all..but we are **** and im not to proud to admitt it..

-x
    please concur?

ReputationRep:
    What exactly are we supposed to stand up to and for?

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about ... the only weakness we have is Tony Blair

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinnttintin)
    thank you. britain did fine without the states (along with the rest of the world) and would continue to do so if Mr blair would stop playing monkey see monkey do with that other ape in the white house

I'll think you'll find Britain is still one of the top dogs with or without america. We'd do just fine. No one is going to want to mess with us.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by stand up. If you mean invade and occupy somewhere like Iraq, no. If you mean go on as normal, just as prosperous and respected world wide, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    Gb is a lap dog of the US. No question. It routinely humiliates itself with its undying service to Washington, and Tel Aviv.

ReputationRep:
    It depends entirely on what you mean by 'stand up'...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinnttintin)
    he maybe a weak link to some, however he is the strongest link in parliment, who would you rather have lead your country, Tony Blair or Druggie Cameron?
    Gordon Brown isnt an option at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky-x)
    question?

my oppinion is..no..and sorry being british and all..but we are **** and im not to proud to admitt it..

-x
    please concur?
    Britain still is a relatively powerful nation militarily. We don't really need the Americans to defend us.

British PM's are always under pressure to maintain this "special relationship". So what if the US has the same language? So what if we have historical ties? I don't think we need any "special relationship" with the US.

ReputationRep:
    The special relationship has vastly more to do with the sharing of Intelligence than it does anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daban)
    he maybe a weak link to some, however he is the strongest link in parliment, who would you rather have lead your country, Tony Blair or Druggie Cameron?
    Gordon Brown isnt an option at the moment.
    Yip Tony blair i think is one of the strongest links in our government and domestically he has been an almost perrfect pm... in comparison to all the rest

ReputationRep:
    I think Bismarck is the geopolitics boffin in D&D, his is the comment to await...

I would say something similar to Weej at this point, we have no real enemy (with Weej so far), except ourselves (where Weej I think leaves). He doesn't think ourselves exist because he has opted out--probably in the 60's...

But...The "special relationship", very nebulous as it is, is still a factor if we continue to have a "Western Civilisation", which will trump all geopolitical considerations as far as my eye can see, and which will make the Anglosphere a focus for all of us Westerners--and our enemies.

>>such as Islam Weej!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by legbreakgoogly)
    Gb is a lap dog of the US. No question. It routinely humiliates itself with its undying service to Washington, and Tel Aviv.
    It's always interesting to get a different perspective. Americans certainly don't think of GB as a lap dog...more as an equal partner and friend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArthurOliver)
    I think Bismarck is the geopolitics boffin in D&D, his is the comment to await...

I would say something similar to Weej at this point, we have no real enemy (with Weej so far), except ourselves (where Weej I think leaves). He doesn't think ourselves exist because he has opted out--probably in the 60's...

But...The "special relationship", very nebulous as it is, is still a factor if we continue to have a "Western Civilisation", which will trump all geopolitical considerations as far as my eye can see, and which will make the Anglosphere a focus for all of us Westerners--and our enemies.

>>such as Islam Weej!
    What do you mean "We"? Who are "ourselves"?

There is no such thing as "Western civilisation". There are many western ciovilisations. Until very recently they were much like any other culture- inner directed, fearful of the unknown, incurious and scared of curiosity. Over the last few hundred years there has been a change and western civilsations have become different- uninterested in the sources of ideas or things, only in their use, endlessly curious, Faustian, willing to think things through logically. They can still produce monsters- Mao was a product of western ideas as much as chinese, hitler was home-made- and they have very dangerous aspects- the deranged consumer/advertising culture that spreads everywhere- but the fact remains: western ideas have won. Even the enemies of every western idea have to use western ideas to fight western ideas and so what they want to defend has been transformed utterly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Made in the USA)
    It's always interesting to get a different perspective. Americans certainly don't think of GB as a lap dog...more as an equal partner and friend.
    In my more sentimental moments that's the way I think of my dog. but i make the decisions.

ReputationRep:
    The relationship between the USA and the UK is a strength, not a weakness. It is such a strength that is generates envy and jealously amongst various other European, middle-eastern nations.

The media is telling you its a weakness because the media are following state-trends. Think about it, this isn;t schoolyard business, this is international relations. The UK and the US have a huge influence, and command high respect, there is no evidence that Britain is run from Washington - in fact, Tony has had quite an influence on the USAs decisions - the UK was Americas best advisor post-9/11.

Enough is enough - boycott tabloid s***.

ReputationRep:
    I take it you mean in defence terms? Absolutely not. Tiny country with no nuclear weapons to call our own.....we'd be gone in sixty seconds.

Thats why Blair has to rim Bush. And why every damn PM will have to do it to every subsequent President. Until we get control of our own nuclear weapons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Weejimmie)
    In my more sentimental moments that's the way I think of my dog. but i make the decisions.
    So you are my dog then? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by becky-x)
    question?

-x
    please concur?
    I'm really not sure what you are talking about. The UK has always been more than strong enough, considering they are an ex EMPIRE..... even completely isolated from the US they are extremely powerful, in terms of raw influence alone.

Now if the question you are asking is "should we alter the current relationship with the US", that's entirely different.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.