This discussion is closed.
goofymark13
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've been looking at dozens of reviews on the net with this being the fairest I have found http://peaktimesonline.wordpress.com...acbook-review/ because I need a new laptop for university but is the macbook worth the massive price tag? :confused:
ak9779
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Windows laptops at the same prime tag are better IMO
killercow292
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by goofymark13)
I've been looking at dozens of reviews on the net with this being the fairest I have found http://peaktimesonline.wordpress.com...acbook-review/ because I need a new laptop for university but is the macbook worth the massive price tag? :confused:
Ive had my macbook pro for 3 months, I love it!! The build quality is superb feels like no other laptop, the battery life is great i can get 6 hours on the internet. The OS is good, tho it takes time to get used to it. If there is anything wrong with it just take it to a apple store and get it fixed-so easy.

Only bad things is the price, not the best value when compared to cheaper laptops spec for spec wise...
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by killercow292)
Ive had my macbook pro for 3 months, I love it!! The build quality is superb feels like no other laptop, the battery life is great i can get 6 hours on the internet. The OS is good, tho it takes time to get used to it. If there is anything wrong with it just take it to a apple store and get it fixed-so easy.

Only bad things is the price, not the best value when compared to cheaper laptops spec for spec wise...
Same. I can sometimes get up to 9 hours if I'm just browsing with nothing else running in the background.

Honestly, they might be a little expensive, however my auntie has had her macbook for 8 years, and I would have used around 3 laptops in that space of time, so if you take that into consideration it puts it into perspective a bit more. I've been on her macbook, and it's still just as fast as mine is that I bought in April. She's had to replace the battery twice, which cost her £150 altogether (I think that's what she said) but even taking that into account it's fantastic value for a long term investment.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
From a specs standpoint, definitely not. As an overall experience, they can be. I paid through the nose for mine and haven't regret it for a second.

What's your budget and what will you be using it for?
TheDubs
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Unless your entering a graphics course, whats the point?

Windows offers so much more, besides, its the process/spec that you should be looking at in a computer. The higher these values are, the better the computer. Make sure you buy it from a reputable store and a reputable brand for refund/ long lasting life guarantee's. Laptops like Acer, a decent enough brand can be alright for some people, but another friend I have always has breakdowns on his ones.
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
In my eyes, no. A Windows laptop for half the price would do just as good a job, if not better.

Seeing it from the eyes of an apple worshipper, in all fairness the build quality of a mac is superb, the iOS is simple (although for those who say it's considerable easier than Windows, you guys seriously need help) and it's got a good battery life.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Hippysnake)
the iOS is simple
iOS is what Apple use on the iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches =P you mean OS X
Beenman500
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by goofymark13)
way way better off with a £500 windows computer and an Ipad all for less than the cheapest mac book pro.

the ipad is nicer for video watching and browsing (without flash) than most pc's i think.

one can get a PC with good specs for anything browsing related with office and a 9 hour battery for less than £500 easily
RollerBall
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No.
tazarooni89
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Depends what you're planning to do with it. There are many things that a Macbook can do that a Windows laptop can't. But it's pointless getting a Macbook unless you're actually going to use those features.
Plus, I'd say that there are many more things that you can do on Windows and not on OS X, than vice versa.
Dez
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Apple make premium products, not value-for-money ones. If that's your main criteria, you should probably go with a Windows machine.
poolopis01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
No. Its basically just a shiny piece of trash. Also, you could use Apple's operating system of a machine you built yourself, or something like it. And you could do it for much less money. There is no such thing as a Window's Machine. Its just a computer with an operating system designed by Microsoft, that can be removed/updated etc.
cactus kid :)
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
IMO no, but i suppose it depends what you're using it for.
Hippysnake
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Gofre)
iOS is what Apple use on the iPads/iPhones/iPod Touches =P you mean OS X
The closest thing to an apple product I've ever owned is Mr Kipling's deliciously good apple pies.
metric
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I have never for a second regretted spending that extra amount of money on getting a macbook
tedhill284
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
i only regret it when i struggle to buy other things, but the mac is great, the backlit keyboard is genius for doing work late at night!
adam.o.ao
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
They're definitely worth the buy if you have the budget.

And for the people saying that you can buy a Windows Laptop for cheaper with better hardware specs, please message me and show me them, I've been searching for weeks for a better spec laptop running Windows than say, the top end MacBook Air, 8GB SDRAM, i7, 128GB SSD for ~£1400.
Kasarna
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Well my older brother bought me the iMac and to be honest there's alot of features that I have never used. The OS is amazing though gets some getting used to but to be honest apart from the 'cool' factor..with people constantly swooning over the fact you have a macbook or an iMac. There's nothing that amazing about it. IMO you'd be better off to just buy a top end windows laptop and the extra money spend it on an iPad, iPhone (if you really want an Apple product) or what ever else that takes your fancy.
jojayne
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I think so, my mac is really reliable.. you don't get the viruses and the freezing screens, you get on other laptops. It is pricey but i think the pros out weigh the cons, it's a laptop that will last so its worth it
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should the school day be extended to help students catch up?

Yes (78)
29%
No (191)
71%

Watched Threads