The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Economics & Business with East European Studies UCL 2012 Entry

Just wandering if anyone has heard yet regarding this Course? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am an international (EU) applicant for Economics and Business with EES. I suppose they will start the final round of offers next week (after 15.January). Do you know anything about offers in 2011?
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Reply 2
I found this course really interesting, so much so that it is tingling. Would like to do it in future, since I have a passion for just about anything Russian. But what are you guy's grades like? The website states a range of AAB-ABB, sounds pretty low to me, especially when UCL's on the table. I'm guessing that even so, many prospective applicants have much higher grades than this, perhaps straight As.
Reply 3
Has anyone heard of a reply for this course yet?
Reply 4
Original post by sam838
Has anyone heard of a reply for this course yet?
I have not. It's weird that for Politics course places have been already given out, but Econ&Business applicants are still kept waiting...

When did you apply?
Reply 5
I applied in the beginning of Oct, but still haven't heard from them. My predicted grades are A*AA, but this waiting is killing me :/
Reply 6
I applied in mid october. Realised I most probably messed up my chances by not writing a personal statement suited to the course at all.
Reply 7
I applied on the 7th December and received my offer exactly two weeks later.
I also have an invitation to the Open Day on the 14th March.
x
Reply 8
Original post by sam838
I applied in mid october. Realised I most probably messed up my chances by not writing a personal statement suited to the course at all.
If you wrote about economics, you still have chances. My PS is about macroeconomics mostly, there's only one sentence referring to transition in Eastern Europe.
Reply 9
Original post by shake_it
If you wrote about economics, you still have chances. My PS is about macroeconomics mostly, there's only one sentence referring to transition in Eastern Europe.

Yes i statement was mostly about economics and a bit of history, but not russian history... So fingers crossed
Reply 10
Original post by nala.
I applied on the 7th December and received my offer exactly two weeks later.
I also have an invitation to the Open Day on the 14th March.
x

I just wanted to confirm. Is this for Economics and business with east european studies? And do you mind telling us how your grades are?

Thanks
Reply 11
Yeah. It's for Economics and Business with East European Studies.
My offer is AAB, and I'm predicted A*A*AA

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by nala.
Yeah. It's for Economics and Business with East European Studies.
My offer is AAB, and I'm predicted A*A*AA

Hope that helps :smile:
Congrats! :smile: Does your PS include your interest in Eastern Europe?
Reply 13
Congrats! :smile: Does your PS include your interest in Eastern Europe?

Yeah it does include a substantial amount on Eastern Europe since this course was one of my two top choices.
Reply 14
Original post by llbros545
I found this course really interesting, so much so that it is tingling. Would like to do it in future, since I have a passion for just about anything Russian. But what are you guy's grades like? The website states a range of AAB-ABB, sounds pretty low to me, especially when UCL's on the table. I'm guessing that even so, many prospective applicants have much higher grades than this, perhaps straight As.

My best friend does a very similar course (History with Eastern European Studies or similar, but it's in SSEES all the same and had the same stated AAB-ABB range), and she applied with something like ABB predicted and got an offer of BBB. They actually mean what they say on the website in cases like this :yep: I'm not sure why it's so much lower than the rest of UCL, but they do actually mean that they expect predicted grades of AAB-ABB.
Reply 15
Original post by kerily
My best friend does a very similar course (History with Eastern European Studies or similar, but it's in SSEES all the same and had the same stated AAB-ABB range), and she applied with something like ABB predicted and got an offer of BBB. They actually mean what they say on the website in cases like this :yep: I'm not sure why it's so much lower than the rest of UCL, but they do actually mean that they expect predicted grades of AAB-ABB.

From what I know, universities sometimes have lower grade requirements because that course isn't in as much demand, but in my opinion, I don't think it makes it worse than a similar course elsewhere.
Reply 16
Original post by kerily
My theory is that SSEES courses are less desirable counterparts of UCL's couses ("pure" Economics, History, Politics etc.) and therefore requirements are lower. Additionally, if Economics of Economics Department has 600 offers for 180 places, I suppose that this ratio is even higher in SSEES...

If I am right, our chances are relatively high :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 17
My theory is that SSEES courses are less desirable counterparts of UCL's couses ("pure" Economics, History, Politics etc.) and therefore requirements are lower. Additionally, if Economics of Economics Department has 600 offers for 180 places, I suppose that this ratio is even higher in SSEES...

I sure hope you are right :biggrin:
Reply 18
Still no answers? I'm super excited whilst waiting for a reply. I choose this course because it was more interesting than pure economics; The fewer applications is an additional bonus.
Reply 19

the benefits of applying for a very refined course, not many others apply for it = more chance of getting in .. good times for all :wink::biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending