The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
BossLady
What is everyone's favourite programming/scripting language?
I tend to change quite alot. Right now I'm into php though.

Assembly!! Assembly!! Assembly!!

Always :smile:
:cool:
Reply 2
Eternal Idol
Assembly!! Assembly!! Assembly!!

Always :smile:

Reasons/?
Reply 3
BossLady
Reasons/?

A.Is the only real low level language
B.Minimum size
C.Maximum speed
D.Capable to access hardware

The best.
Reply 4
BossLady

Depends on the application of course, a lot of languages have positive and negative features.

PHP is probably the one I know best, I swear I could do it in my sleep without trouble these days. PHP5 is (at last) bringing some sensible OO stuff, though it's still going to be a messy language. The flat namespace isn't nice either.

Java is an alright all round language, though it can be horribly verbose at times and I'm never entirely sure about its OO layout. The API docs are fairly good too. Writing Java in Eclipse is a rather cool experience, with it checking you as you go along, I find it saves a fair bit of time occasionally! Being an interpreted language (basically) is an annoyance and swing components can be terrible.

C++ seems nice and relatively suited to me, but I don't have that much experience in it (yet).

ML is curious, as a procedural programmer in the main the functional and recursive nature of it screwed my head up at first. Though now I can see much more elegant recursive solutions to problems where I'd previously just hacked it with loop structures.

Verilog isn't really a programming language, but a HDL and I hate it. Right pain in the ass. FPGAs don't seem that useful for me, when you can get chips with Java/C++ support for not much more, even for embedded systems. I guess it's considerably more useful for prototyping chips that are going to be mass produced.

ARM asm is pretty cool, though I'd rather only use it for fairly small embedded systems rather than 'proper' application development.

Python just seems crazy at points, but otherwise has some cool features. Grr at whitespace significance though.

Perl is the daddy of scripting languages, and similar to PHP in ways, but horrible in others. Really hacky, which is kind of cool. Think I'll learn it again when v6 comes out properly.

Alaric.
Reply 5
You're right it does depend on thw application.

I have a feeling I'm into PHP for the same reason as yourself, I know it pretty well, and much better than the other languages in fact.

The one I hate the most is visual basic. Reason: Can't you guess? :rolleyes:
Reply 6
Delphi/Pascal. Reason? This is the only thing I can use.
Reply 7
BossLady

Delphi. Perfect for programming applications, strong compiler, way better interface than C++.
Reply 8
ben2111
Delphi. Perfect for programming applications, strong compiler, way better interface than C++.

Delphi=Object Pascal + VCL
Borland Builder=C++ + VCL

Reply 9
BossLady
You're right it does depend on thw application.

I have a feeling I'm into PHP for the same reason as yourself, I know it pretty well, and much better than the other languages in fact.

The one I hate the most is visual basic. Reason: Can't you guess? :rolleyes:

http://www.x-media.com.ar

What do you think about it?
Reply 10
Eternal Idol
Delphi=Object Pascal + VCL
Borland Builder=C++ + VCL

Yeah right, I do like the Borland C++ builder. I was referring to that ugly MS Visual C++, even though I heard they finally improved the interface of C#, but I´m sure Delphi still beats that easily!
Reply 11
Eternal Idol
http://www.x-media.com.ar

What do you think about it?

Is this yours?
Reply 12
ben2111
Yeah right, I do like the Borland C++ builder. I was referring to that ugly MS Visual C++, even though I heard they finally improved the interface of C#, but I´m sure Delphi still beats that easily!

Pascal and Object Pascal are crappy languages, C\C++ are so much better than Delphi.
MS Visual C++ compiler is ten times better than Borland Builder.
Reply 13
BossLady
Is this yours?

Yes, it is mine, what do you think about it?
Reply 14
Eternal Idol
Yes, it is mine, what do you think about it?

:O I am impressed, I dig it! :biggrin:

Only thing though, other players allow me to view the movies like it was made for widescreen, but when I make this larger, it stretches it, rather than making the top and bottom black. Can i not get it like the other ones view it?

More importantly, what did you use to create?
Reply 15
BossLady
:O I am impressed, I dig it! :biggrin:

Only thing though, other players allow me to view the movies like it was made for widescreen, but when I make this larger, it stretches it, rather than making the top and bottom black. Can i not get it like the other ones view it?

More importantly, what did you use to create?

Thanks hehe :smile:

No, I didn't program that feature. Is a pretty old project of mine that was quite amazing in the time that was finished (30/06/02).

Is it important? I always use this application as an example to show that the main limitation is the programmers skill and not the language; it was developed with Visual Basic 5.0
Reply 16
Eternal Idol
Pascal and Object Pascal are crappy languages, C\C++ are so much better than Delphi.
MS Visual C++ compiler is ten times better than Borland Builder.

and why are they better?
Reply 17
ben2111
and why are they better?

Everyone will tell you 'the best language is the one that you can apply to a specific work' and I agree.
But if I have to compare languages, the code produced by C compilers is so much better than the Pascal's one and I don't like the Pascal syntax at all.
Pascal isn't a serious programming language, is just a thing to learn structured programming.

The same goes in the comparing of VC++ and Borland Builder, the code produced by the compilers; VC++ code is so much better than the BB one.

That's my opinion, just mine, not the holy truth.
Reply 18
Oh, and by the way :

"Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal" :

http://www.pbm.com/~lindahl/real.programmers.html

Hehe.
:cool: :tongue: :smile:
Reply 19
Eternal Idol
Thanks hehe :smile:

No, I didn't program that feature. Is a pretty old project of mine that was quite amazing in the time that was finished (30/06/02).

Is it important? I always use this application as an example to show that the main limitation is the programmers skill and not the language; it was developed with Visual Basic 5.0

Visual Basic!

Latest

Trending

Trending