Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My favourite is ASP vbscript and C++. I think I will like Java but not done enough in it yet so I am still a novice. I will try and right a simple applet tonight. PHP is pretty easy but I have yet to learn how to get it to work with MySQL.

C++ I just love though as it is so structured however C is annoying when you want to simple stuff like use strings. The only way I know of storing strings in C++ is to use an array and a for loop to populate it.

At least Java has the same nice structure as C++ but also has full support for strings and the like.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    C++ I just love though as it is so structured however C is annoying when you want to simple stuff like use strings. The only way I know of storing strings in C++ is to use an array and a for loop to populate it.
    You can use the same array in C as in C++.

Anyway that's not the regular way to deal with strings which is this one:

char *message_string = (char*)malloc(512); //alloc 512 bytes for it
    strcpy(message_string,"THIS IS AN EXAMPLE"); //fill it with text
    printf(message_string);
    strcat(message_string," THAT WOULD RUN UNDER C OR C++"); //add more text
    printf(message_string);
    free(message_string); //dealloc

ReputationRep:
    My favourite is ASP vbscript and C++. I think I will like Java but not done enough in it yet so I am still a novice. I will try and right a simple applet tonight. PHP is pretty easy but I have yet to learn how to get it to work with MySQL.

At least Java has the same nice structure as C++ but also has full support for strings and the like.
    I got a good PHP/MySQL book for ya, which might be useful...

MySQL/PHP Database Applications
    by Jay Greenspan and Brad Bulger

btw there is this nice package thing i found with apache and all and php and mysql work lovely together.
    http://www.firepages.com.au/

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I downloaded apache the otherday but when I stuck an index page in the HTDOCs directory everytime I tried to load it up by typing in my IP address in the URL bar my router configuration screen kept displaying :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I downloaded apache the otherday but when I stuck an index page in the HTDOCs directory everytime I tried to load it up by typing in my IP address in the URL bar my router configuration screen kept displaying :confused:
    try viewing 127.0.0.1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alaric)
    try viewing 127.0.0.1
    Yes or localhost

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eternal Idol)
    Yes or localhost
    same thing, except there has to be a localhost definition in the hosts file for that to work...

ReputationRep:
    same thing, except there has to be a localhost definition in the hosts file for that to work...
    Most probably it would be ...
    Have you seen my answer about compiled/linked code in a previous post of yours?

ReputationRep:
    Have you seen my answer about compiled/linked code in a previous post of yours?
    I think I did, it was a long time ago now, non?

ReputationRep:
    127.0.0.1 works fine but how would I get it work on the www and not just locally?

ReputationRep:
    I think I did, it was a long time ago now, non?
    Yes, you din't answer me reply that's why I was asking.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have Java disabled on their school PCs? I know you're all on half term at the moment so you can't check, but has anyone had problems with it in the past?

Nearly finished my site (see sig) and there's a big problem - sent it to a mate and her PC at work has got Javascript disabled so the links don't work! Apparently it's a security thing so I reckon a lot of schools will do this too.

Help?

ReputationRep:
    127.0.0.1 works fine but how would I get it work on the www and not just locally?
    If you're running a NAT set up then get it to forward port 80 to your local network ip.

Your router should only show the config page to the LAN I'd guess, so that shouldn't be available to the outside.

What's your IP we can check for you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, you din't answer me reply that's why I was asking.
    Oh, sorry, I don't always reply to everything, I seemed to think it was relatively concluded anyhow. You were working on a different layer of abstraction from me or something, don't really recall what it was now!

Alaric.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, sorry, I don't always reply to everything, I seemed to think it was relatively concluded anyhow. You were working on a different layer of abstraction from me or something, don't really recall what it was now!

Alaric.
    No problem, I just told you that compiled code already contains machine code.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    For me, 'real' programmers don't use bloated IDEs to virtually write code for them. Its all very well using your nice VC++ and JBuilder until you've had to debug something out in the field using only vi (not fancy dan vim either!)
    Of course, except when the boss don't let me I just use Windows API's in C\C++ but for my own projects I only use Assembly since I know how to.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by piginapoke)
    Those who can, program assembly. Those who can't, write C
    Yeah, anyway I don't call myself a real programmer; I want to be one, I'm a professional programmer with some knowledge, more than the average hehe

ReputationRep:
    c++, probably cos its the only one i know

ReputationRep:
    Everyone will tell you 'the best language is the one that you can apply to a specific work' and I agree.
    But if I have to compare languages, the code produced by C compilers is so much better than the Pascal's one and I don't like the Pascal syntax at all.
    Pascal isn't a serious programming language, is just a thing to learn structured programming.

The same goes in the comparing of VC++ and Borland Builder, the code produced by the compilers; VC++ code is so much better than the BB one.

That's my opinion, just mine, not the holy truth.
    :cool:
    I have doubts about the compiled code. Why do Delphi apps run as fast as VC++ apps? It´s the same compiler,more or less.

ReputationRep:
    You can use the same array in C as in C++.

Anyway that's not the regular way to deal with strings which is this one:

char *message_string = (char*)malloc(512); //alloc 512 bytes for it
    strcpy(message_string,"THIS IS AN EXAMPLE"); //fill it with text
    printf(message_string);
    strcat(message_string," THAT WOULD RUN UNDER C OR C++"); //add more text
    printf(message_string);
    free(message_string); //dealloc
    hehehe... that´s exactly why Delphi is so comfortable, cause all this

char *message_string = (char*)malloc(512);

can just be replaced by MyVariable:string; in Delphi! And don´t tell me the memory is not properly allocated or anything, not one byte is wasted this way!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 17, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.