The Student Room Group

Crap driving lessons, weeks before test

My driving test is in 4 weeks (ish), but a few days ago I had a disastrous lesson; I would've failed within the first five minutes! I forgot to indicate at a roundabout, I "straight-lined" another roundabout, tried to reverse park and reverse around a corner too quickly, stalled at traffic lights, made little use of mirrors, broke the speed limit numerous times, etc. I felt totally crap throughout the lesson and just ashamed of my driving. I only have 3 more lessons before my test and was just wondering if it is common to have crappy lessons in the lead up to a test, or whether I might as well cancel it?!

Scroll to see replies

I had my test at the end of november and had really bad lessons leading up to it my instructor expected me 2 do everything without prompting which i couldnt i would have failed several times after that i dreaded driving. Then the lesson before my test went really well and i passed with 2 minors! i think lots of people hav bad lessons b4 because people are feeling more nervouse about taking their test! dont worry about it u will b fine!
Reply 2
Wow, that's excellent, well done. :smile:

It's like I have this feeling that now I've *finally* booked a test I can drive, but because of that I make stupid mistakes because my brain is telling me I don't need to do things properly anymore, even though this is the time when I need to be doing things really well.
Reply 3
yup, I think it's perfectly normal.
I have my test in 4 weeks, and today I unbelievably drove on the wrong side of the road :eek:
Reply 4
How come? lol
Reply 5
I had a lesson just like that last week - it was really, really bad. I've had two lessons this week and they've both been better than any other lesson, which is a nice confidence boost before my first test on Tuesday.. eek :O
Reply 6
I'm in the same position as you, except my test is in three days! So I really wouldn't worry - everything'll come together in the end :smile:
Reply 7
-Sian-
How come? lol

I really don't know :frown: I was driving with my dad to a uni open day, and when I got onto the campus I got all confused and ended up on the right-hand side with my dad getting extremely stressed at me :redface:.
Reply 8
-Sian-
My driving test is in 4 weeks (ish), but a few days ago I had a disastrous lesson; I would've failed within the first five minutes! I forgot to indicate at a roundabout, I "straight-lined" another roundabout, tried to reverse park and reverse around a corner too quickly, stalled at traffic lights, made little use of mirrors, broke the speed limit numerous times, etc. I felt totally crap throughout the lesson and just ashamed of my driving. I only have 3 more lessons before my test and was just wondering if it is common to have crappy lessons in the lead up to a test, or whether I might as well cancel it?!

Aw, don't worry about it! that happens to me now and then to and my test is in 3 weeks! actually less! I think on the actual test you will be fine, because when your nerves kick in, you tend to focus more, well that's the case with me lol
But, just try to focus more, and btw you only have 3 more lessons till your test??? If your test is in 4weeks! I advise you to take some lessons in the week of your test and couple before.
And..Good luck!:smile:
Reply 9
Hi. I think this is perfectly natural, everyone has good and bad days driving even after passing. See how you feel closer to the test and if you still feel like your not ready you can cancel within 4 working days. Don't worry about it, let things take there course.
i know this is off the subject, but how many lessons have you had and how long did you wait before taking the theory test?
Reply 11
My test is three weeks today, and yesterday I failed a 90-minute-long mock test for the following reasons:

Lane dicipline (two serious)
hitting the kerb (one serious)
pulling away without looking OR indicating (one serious)
plus enough minors to fail anyway!
Reply 12
I stalled about 50 times in the lesson just before my test. I still passed, and didn't stall once!
It really does happen to everyone - build up of nerves and all that.

As long as you're calm on the 'big day' then you'll be absolutely fine! Try using Bach Rescue Remedy or Kalms if your nerves are unbearable...
*~CARALA~*
Hi. I think this is perfectly natural, everyone has good and bad days driving even after passing. See how you feel closer to the test and if you still feel like your not ready you can cancel within 4 working days. Don't worry about it, let things take there course.

Heheh :biggrin:

the other day i was told by my instructor just 15 minutes into a lesson that if it'd have been my test it'd have been abandoned for dangerous steering three times over! that was a bad day... was ill though!

To the OP: some of those mistakes, such as the reversing round a corner too quickly and stalling might be due to being overconfident and rushing things? I started stalling regularly a few lessons back but quickly put that back by remembering the stuff I'd been taught on like day 1.
Reply 15
Carrying on from driving on the wrong side and keeping up my brillinat record, today I had a small incident driving my parents' car. They now need a new hubcap and possibly tyre.:redface:

Bring on the test, 4 weeks and counting :biggrin:
I had a driving lesson before my test, and couldn't parallel park, I was so nervous I was shaking and ended up crying saying I was definately going to fail. Took my test and passed first time :biggrin:

Everyone has bad driving lessons, even drivers have bad days, don't worry about it as long as you pull it together for the test :smile:
Bad rehearsal, good show as the old saying goes. I'm sure you'll be fine :smile:
Reply 18
Juno
I stalled about 50 times in the lesson just before my test. I still passed, and didn't stall once!

I drove terribly in the few lessons before my first test, but then on the morning before the test it all came together.

I stalled twice on my first test, but it's only a minor if you deal with it properly.

You'll be fine!
I had a small incident driving my parents' car. They now need a new hubcap and possibly tyre.

I told you- we'll look back and laugh at all these mishaps and aprehensions in ten years!

Latest

Trending

Trending