Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a great believer in the unashamed need to jump through hoops when doing AS Levels, but have a question about OCR's English Lit:

Can any kind soul help me understand the difference between Assessment Objective 2i and AO 5i?!

I understood AO2i to be concerned with 'intertextuality' (and so involves comparing texts with other texts)... e.g. if I'm doing Dracula, I would bring in some references to another Gothic text to show I can compare and contrast the genre, etc.

Thus, I thought AO5 to be about 'contextuality' (i.e. being aware of the social and historical factors behind a work of literature being produced), and so would have to mention that women were discovering their independence when Dracula was written, hence the strong female characters.

However, looking at past papers from OCR, they seem very random when it comes to asking about AO2i (i.e. they are meant to tell you to mention different texts, but in fact ask you to consider the role of women when the book was published).

Therefore, any advice as to what to expect for the above two AOs would be much appreciated

Thanks... rep points are at stake here!

ReputationRep:
    hey, see if this helps:
    ·AO2 (AS) respond with knowledge and understanding to literary texts of different types and periods, (A2) exploring and commenting on relationships and comparisons between literary texts .

·AO5 (AS) show understanding of the contexts in which literary texts are written and understood; (A2) evaluate the significance of cultural, historical and other contextual influences on literary texts and study .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkleyez)
    hey, see if this helps:
    ·AO2 (AS) respond with knowledge and understanding to literary texts of different types and periods, (A2) exploring and commenting on relationships and comparisons between literary texts .

·AO5 (AS) show understanding of the contexts in which literary texts are written and understood; (A2) evaluate the significance of cultural, historical and other contextual influences on literary texts and study .
    Yes, but do you have any idea how these wordy AOs translate into mark-scoring answers?

In other words, does a "response showing knowledge of literary texts of different types and period" actually mean 'know about a similar text so you can make a comparision', or 'know the social circumstances around the time the novel was published, so you can emphasize with the characters', or 'learn a few critics so you can show you have came to your own conclusion', etc?

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.