Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    It really depends on what transportation you have to hand, and if you intend to take it home often.
    I much prefer having a tower case than a laptop with me - but then I drive home to Bristol only during holidays.
    Of course taking a laptop with you does provide a little more convenience, but then it is more prone to damage/technical issues as a result.

ReputationRep:
    o rite i guess i need to save up for a laptop then, i presumed that most people use the computers available there to do work as in the prospectus' they all seem to have rooms with computers etc in!

hmmmmmmmmmmmm i wonder if i can get a pink laptop?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    TAKE A PRINTER
    as long as it's not a Dell!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    A desktop can be just as good - if budget is an issue then defintiely get a desktop to save on the cost...and if you possibly can, laptop or desktop, TAKE A PRINTER
    Nothing fancy, mind. You're only going to be printing off black and white essays on the whole.

ReputationRep:
    My laptop is invaluble and I wouldn't be without one now. They are great for taking to the library, or other places for group work projects. I usually keep mine in my bag (it is very small and light) so wherever I am I have all my notes and work. And since the uni is wireless it means I can access the internet from anywhere one campus.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    With regards to the printer, check first. Computery subjects may well have free printing in the department (Manchester physics does, for your first 200 pages, and they're only 1p a page after that...).

As for desktop/laptop, I've never seen the need for a laptop. But I expect the issues are different for essay-based subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr. Blazed)
    Nothing fancy, mind. You're only going to be printing off black and white essays on the whole.
    You can get v small and cute desktop ones I'm sure I saw one for about £30... anyone know if they're any good?

And yeah, shopaholic_soph - apple laptops!! Pink ones are LUSH but I'm scared of AppleMac comps

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular belief a laptop/computer is NOT vital (I survived without one), however it is true that most people have them and if you do not you will definitely have to spend more time in the library/computer areas.

ReputationRep:
    I had a laptop at uni mainly because i knew i was going to be doing a eyar abroad and figured a lap top would be the best thing to buy. It was also really handy for taking to the library, and for big study sessions in the reading room. Lap top all the way.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'll be taking both laptops. My HP for work back home, and the Apple for moving around with. Couldnt bare to leave my computers alone for more than 5 minutes anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    I'm taking my desktop and getting a laptop once I get there. I've got an iMac, so there's not really much to carry about. I'll be getting an iBook (or MacBook) with the education discount.

ReputationRep:
    I have a desktop with a flat screen. This therefore takes up less space than a normal monitor.

I have seen one person this year with a laptop in the library. Most people I know with laptops never take them from their rooms.

I couldn't work for long periods of time on a laptop, so desktops all the way for me. Besides you can get more hard drive space on a desktop, and if you are going home save your work on to a USB drive.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to have a laptop, but not to carry around. I'd use it as a more convenient to transport PC.

I'm just worried, that having a computer in my room will keep me awake. I used to have a CD player, a PC, a radio etc; but they hummed even when they were switched off so I had to get rid of them to get any sleep. Do laptops hum when they're off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gianthead)
    I'm going to have a laptop, but not to carry around. I'd use it as a more convenient to transport PC.

I'm just worried, that having a computer in my room will keep me awake. I used to have a CD player, a PC, a radio etc; but they hummed even when they were switched off so I had to get rid of them to get any sleep. Do laptops hum when they're off?
    They don't if you switch them off at the wall.

ReputationRep:
    i would take a laptop with me to uni as that way it is easier to carry around with you and then you could take it to lectures and seminars it will help as i am also not that good at taking long notes or spelling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sidekick)
    They don't if you switch them off at the wall.
    really? that'd be great

ReputationRep:
    really? that'd be great
    Well, mine don't anyway Though I don't mind a bit of a low hum - comforting sound.

ReputationRep:
    Laptops are great, just don't use them in lectures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChemistBoy)
    Laptops are great, just don't use them in lectures.
    why not?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    why not?:confused:
    Imagine 200 people clicking away at computer keys...no one would be able to hear the lecturer! I have a laptop here, but have yet to take it out of my room, so I wouldn't use portability as a reason to choose one over a desk top. I can go on it in bed though . A printer is useful, especially if you will be writing lots of essays. I have a 3 in 1 printer, scanner and copier, which is really useful. Especially the copier as I often find myself copying lecture notes, pages of books, etc.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.