The Student Room Group

Housemate heating issues!!

Ok so i've looked around the forums and most people seem to be complaining about housemates who don't want the heating on or disagree about putting it on. I'm one of these housemates, and although I'm sure the problems these people are having are because their housemates aren't being reasonable but I am!

Basically one of our housemates wants the heating on from 4am till 9am every morning, not only this but the thermostats set at 40 degrees +. I don't understand how thermostats work but my impression is they heat the house to that temperature. He insists that it's the temperature of the water in the radiators and having it at 23 degrees is ridiculous etc etc. Now this wouldn't be a problem except I'm trying to compromise, the heating is way to hot and i'm constantly waking up roasting hot. Last night I was even lying in bed with the window wide open and no bed covers what so ever and still couldn't get to sleep, I eventually had to turn it off. This he claims meant he woke up in the earlier hours because it was too cold, although this could be because I had to keep my window open I just find it ridiculous.

I need help people, first of all could someone explain to me how heating works so I'm armed with the facts for the next discussion. I usually have to back down because i'm not really sure but somethings not right when I'm sleeping with my window open and duvet on the floor in december!! Secondly whats the best way to come to a compromise if I'm wrong? I can't keep waking up because I'm being slow roasted!

Regards,
Chickpea

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Thermostats switch the heating off when the temperature reaches the set value (eg. 23 degrees). When the temperature goes below that value, the heating is switched back on.

There's no point having the thermostat at a stupidly high number like 40. The radiator water temperature is set from the boiler (if the house is gas heated). The thermostat is the thing in your living room (usually) that tells the boiler whether it should be on or off.

However, if the thermostat is placed in a stupid location such as near a radiator, you'll need to set it higher than the desired room temperature because that part of the room is hotter than average.
Reply 2
40 degrees is the temperature of the room the thermostat is it. When it reaches that it'll turn off, then back on as needed.

Turn the radiator off in your room for a start, and then explain to him how much it costs to heat a house at that temperature. It's a LOT of money, if you pay bills you're in for a raping, if your landlord pays bills he's almost certainly going to charge you an excess, a big one.
Theres a reason most people have their heating on for just a few hours a day at a reasonable temperature.

Theres absolutely no need to have the heating on at night because you can just use more blankets, or use a heating blanket/ hot water bottle.

I'd be tempted to decommision the thermostat if he's not willing to listen to reason. 40 degrees is just disgustingly hot, I start sweating at 25.

And just out of fairness, what kind of house are you living in. Ours had a very poor extension which wasn't insulated and had no DPC so our housemate had to have an electric heater on to stop freezing to death. But I'd say that kind of scenario is rare.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3
I would recommend having it on about 4 hours in the evening. and then a few in the morning when people wake up. then if people are in during the day they can use a heater or wear ltos of layers. It is ridiculous having it on for so long as it will cost hundreds of pounds!
Check that your housemate has a) turned his radiator on, b) has a winter duvet on and c) actually sleeps in pjs - sounds stupid but they keep you much warmer.
Original post by Megaross

I'd be tempted to decommision the thermostat if he's not willing to listen to reason.

Don't do this! If the thermostat is broken, then the heating will never switch itself off, even when it's managed to heat your house to 60C!
Reply 6
Original post by Origami Bullets
Don't do this! If the thermostat is broken, then the heating will never switch itself off, even when it's managed to heat your house to 60C!

Wrong, thermostats aren't neccesary to heating systems.
You can turn heating on and off at the boiler if theres no thermostat installed, yes it'll be constantly on, but hopefully the guy in the OP with his complete misunderstanding of central heating systems won't realise that you can turn it on/ off at the boiler and won't know how to commission a thermostat.
(edited 12 years ago)

Wrong, thermostats aren't neccesary to heating systems.
You can turn heating on and off at the boiler if theres no thermostat installed, but hopefully the guy in the OP with his complete misunderstanding of central heating systems won't realise this.

I'm quite well aware of that - the thermostat and timer in my house broken when I was a small child and wasn't fixed until after I left home. It was a complete pain, though, to have to get up early to switch the hot water on for a shower, then go back to bed, and then get up again.

What I actually said was that the heating wouldn't switch itself off, so OP would end up in a similar situation to the above, plus the landlord would charge them for the damage.
Reply 8
Just to clarify I may be wrong as what I'm referring to as the thermostat is on the boiler? Would that be normal?
Reply 9
Original post by Origami Bullets
I'm quite well aware of that - the thermostat and timer in my house broken when I was a small child and wasn't fixed until after I left home. It was a complete pain, though, to have to get up early to switch the hot water on for a shower, then go back to bed, and then get up again.

What I actually said was that the heating wouldn't switch itself off, so OP would end up in a similar situation to the above, plus the landlord would charge them for the damage.

Depends if you've got a combi or not, most boilers don't have storage tanks for hot water these days so you'd be fine without it.
Depending on how it's plumbed in he may be able to shut off the heating side and just have hot water, most combi systems have a valve at the boiler for purposes of flushing the system and obviously hot water is independant of the pressurised heating system.

And you needn't damage a thermostat to decommision, simply take the batteries out if it's wireless. Or if it's wired just remove and terminate the wires from the control panel.
(edited 12 years ago)
Im having this issue now. I wear a dressing gown to bed. My bed is freezing and my carpet. Everything is cold. Wierdos who get hot in winter.
Get a thermometer and take the actual indoor temp that way, in your room and the housemate's. Then you will both see what the true temp is independent of the heating system. They aren't expensive.
Original post by mangolegs
Im having this issue now. I wear a dressing gown to bed. My bed is freezing and my carpet. Everything is cold. Wierdos who get hot in winter.

is your radiator turned on? Does it have an adjustable/thermostatic valve?
do you know where the thermostat is in the house?

Put a blanket or similar under your bed sheet to help stay warm in bed. And make sure you've got a good duvet (if you can get a double duvet - even on a single bed that will help you stay warm).
Do you shut your curtains? Can you get thicker/longer/thermal curtains?
Are their drafts coming through from anywhere?
Get some slippers - then it doesn't matter about cold carpets - and a nice fluffy rug for next to your bed.
Reply 13
Ok everyone, this thread and anyone wanting advice all happened 7 years ago. Let the thread rest.
Original post by Bio 7
Ok everyone, this thread and anyone wanting advice all happened 7 years ago. Let the thread rest.

Post 11 was 8 hours ago
Reply 15
Original post by PQ
Post 11 was 8 hours ago

They should create their own thread rather than open up something old.
Original post by PQ
is your radiator turned on? Does it have an adjustable/thermostatic valve?
do you know where the thermostat is in the house?

Put a blanket or similar under your bed sheet to help stay warm in bed. And make sure you've got a good duvet (if you can get a double duvet - even on a single bed that will help you stay warm).
Do you shut your curtains? Can you get thicker/longer/thermal curtains?
Are their drafts coming through from anywhere?
Get some slippers - then it doesn't matter about cold carpets - and a nice fluffy rug for next to your bed.

Radiator is on but my housemate keeps turning the heating off at night so it gets cold. I wear slipper socks. The room itself is just cold. The walls everything. I shut my curtains. My housemate is just a **** who keeps turning heating off
Original post by Bio 7
They should create their own thread rather than open up something old.

Its not that deep
Original post by mangolegs
Radiator is on but my housemate keeps turning the heating off at night so it gets cold. I wear slipper socks. The room itself is just cold. The walls everything. I shut my curtains. My housemate is just a **** who keeps turning heating off

You shouldn't need the heating on at night. It's not good to sleep in a hot room.
Original post by PQ
You shouldn't need the heating on at night. It's not good to sleep in a hot room.

Ok thats your opinion. I can't sleep if its freezing cold. The cold literally wakes me up.

Latest

Trending

Trending