OddThings
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I am really struggling with a question I've been set and at the moment,I cant seem to write an essay,even though I got mixed A's and B's in the British topic.The question is:

Austrian Strength was the greatest obstacle to German unification between 1815-1850.How accurate is this claim?

I think this is an isolated factor question,so I would deal with Austria first,then was planning to go onto:nationalist division,religious differences,german princes,resentment towards Prussia and indifference of the masses(not sure what this is)

I seem to be struggling with getting my head around the germany topic,before the Nazi's,which are much better.
OddThings
Rep:
?
Bump
OddThings
Rep:
?
Nobody?
OddThings
Rep:
?
I know no-one has answered in a while but I really really really would appreciate the help.I want to do well in this subject but I cant get my head around this essay.My teacher originally changed the essay as the whole class found it too difficult but has now asked us to write it,as it is important. Please anyone?
lor_mitch
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
other factors contributed to the difficulties of overcoming nationalism such as;
metternich
resentment towards Prussia
German princes
religious difference
Luce2608
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
My Themes/factors would be

Austrian Strength -
Throughout 1815 to 1850 Austria was considered the dominant country within the German States.
Austria was against any form of a united Germany and worried that Prussia would pose a threat to her multi-ethnic empire.
Austria was also angry about being left out of the Zollverein.
Any attempt made towards German unification was weakened by Austria as she had permanent chairmanship of the bund ( the German Confederation ).

Religious Differences -
Austrians were mostly catholic and Prussians were mostly Protestant.
German states were also divided by religion. Northern states were protestant and the southern states were catholic.
Religion was very important at the time in Germany and is one of the features many assign to a nation.

Indifference In the Masses -
Peasants made up the largest group of people in the German states.
Urban/Rural divide.
Urban peasants effected by industrialization and were more likely to participate in protests.
Peasants support was essential but they had a limited education and struggled to grasp political theories

Economical Issues -
Prussia controlled the Rhine land and its natural resources.
Austria had little access to natural resources so was not as economically strong as Prussia.
Economic differences were simply part of the wider rivalry between Austria and Prussia.
- You should also mention the Zollverein -

Resentment towards Prussia -
Smaller states, particularly in the south, resented theeconomic and political predominance of Prussia.
The small states feared Austria would dominate them.
Prussia was powerful in economical and military areas.

The German princes -
Did not want any form of unification as a united Germany would require one single leader and they were not willing to give up their powers.
Each leader controlled their own army which made opposition difficult.
For unification to take hold all 39 states in the German Confederation would have to come to an agreement but this was likely not going to happen unless the German princes could face loosing their powers.

This type of question could also be written as
" 'The German Princes ( or any other factor ) were the most important obstacle to German Unification before 1850'
How valid is this view ? "
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads