Is it okay to lie about named drivers on your policy? Watch

This discussion is closed.
Bad Boy ~ Records
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
Adding on named drivers had reduced my online quote by £400. it is free to add on named drivers, adding those with good driving history can reduce your premium, I also believe you don't need the permission of the people you are adding as they are not losing anything but instead getting free excess to drive a car.

Anyway I don't know all the details of the people I am adding such as license obtained e.t.c. these are the people with the best driving history.

so with this the case, can I just add on fake named drivers without it invalidating my policy in anyway?
Aack
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It's fraud and obtaining by deception.
LissRules!!
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
I'd say no. I can't see how they'd find out either way but if they did they would say your insurance is invalid. You know what these compaines are like, any excuse not to pay out. Cant you add your parents/family members? I'd ask their permission first though, seems the decent thing to do.
wizzar
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Is it ever okay to lie?
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bad Boy ~ Records)
so with this the case, can I just add on fake named drivers without it invalidating my policy in anyway?
No. You can't lie and make up people to add them.

Ask parents/other good drivers though if you can add them on as named drivers. My brother added boht our parents to his policy and it halved the price of it even though the parents were only named drivers. They only drove the car once or twice as well i think...
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Of course it isn't. How can lying to an insurance company be OK?
Bathwiggle
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Don't make details up. Ask the people if you can use their details.

I'm on a friends bike insurance, he lives 300miles away from me, but if i went to visit him i'd still want to be able to use his bike, it made a large difference on his insurance and there is a chance i'd want to use his bike. I'm also on another friends bike insurance so we can swap bikes when he comes to visit me.

Only do it if you ask their permission and it's conceivable that they might actually use the car.
Superlogon
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by wizzar)
Is it ever okay to lie?
That was EXACTLY what i was going type, word for word!
olumide_apexking
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
might do this myself
wizzar
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Superlogon)
That was EXACTLY what i was going type, word for word!
Great minds superlogon, great minds...
Megaross
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes it's fraud, the word LIE is kind of a prerequisite.

Put some real named drivers on, parents, grandparents etc.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Yes. It's okay. It's perfectly fine to lie or "Lie" on your policy. Because deception is good! :yep:

Hence the word: "lie" and lying usually being a bad thing..... I never knew that lying especially about named drivers on an insurance policy was good! :rolleyes:

The intelligence of some people who allegedly use the road...... It worries me. It really does! :erm:
crusher30
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Actually my partners ex added him on her insurance without him knowing. He recieved an email about her policy and saw his name, when he contacted the company they wouldnt talk to him because they said he was not the policyholder, he asked to be removed and they said they cannot do this without her permission which she wont do. He wrote to the company asking for his no claims bonus and they refused to deal with him. We spoke to the police and they said there was nothing they can do !
Yawn11
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Fool and his wallet are easily parted.

Don't be a fool, of course you should lie. Things are expensive enough.

All this "morality" crap to support to corporate company that couldn't care less about you :lol:
scotttb
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Yawn11)
crap to support to corporate company that could care less about you :lol:
How much less could they care? :confused:
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LissRules!!)
I'd say no. I can't see how they'd find out either way but if they did they would say your insurance is invalid. You know what these compaines are like, any excuse not to pay out. Cant you add your parents/family members? I'd ask their permission first though, seems the decent thing to do.
I agree.
Just find real people to add as named drivers such as parents, older siblings, other family members etc.
Insurance companies have ways and means of finding out these things. In your case, if they wanted to, they could check that these fake people have driving licences etc with the dvla and things would start to come to light then. They will find any excuse to not pay out if they can. Its not worth it.
yumavibe
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
There are some people that would say it isn't good to lie (or fabricate) anything on your insurance, period! But when it comes to named drivers I don't think the risk is as great as lying about your Ncb or address. I have a friend who added their parents on with accurate personal details but have lied about how many years they've both held their license and its saved her millions!(because car insurance is THAT expensive). Don't get me wrong lying about anything on your policy is risk but it's at your discretion really
username2842002
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Bad Boy ~ Records)
Adding on named drivers had reduced my online quote by £400. it is free to add on named drivers, adding those with good driving history can reduce your premium, I also believe you don't need the permission of the people you are adding as they are not losing anything but instead getting free excess to drive a car.

Anyway I don't know all the details of the people I am adding such as license obtained e.t.c. these are the people with the best driving history.

That's fraud. Don't do it, unless you want to ruin your life. If you get caught you'll be a convicted fraudster. You'll find it hard, even impossible, to get work in areas such as policing, finance and so on.

Don't mess up your life when you've not even started it.
StriderHort
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Guys this was 7 years ago, they're prob well on with their life
X

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
17.62%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
15.03%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (41)
21.24%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (70)
36.27%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (8)
4.15%
No particular grades needed (11)
5.7%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise