The Student Room Group

Cambridge Interview/Durham & Warwick rejection

Scroll to see replies

Original post by la-dauphine

Original post by la-dauphine
It's often fairly easy to tell if an application is an Oxbridge application. I sent mine before the deadline, my predicted grades are very strong, my personal statement was strong and I also mentioned the Oxford and Cambridge summer schools that I went on. What you're saying should be right in theory but I've lost count of the number of people who were rejected from universities like UCL, Warwick and Durham almost immediately and then got Oxbridge offers - too many to be coincidental. Why would UCL give offers to hundreds of probable Oxbridge candidates if they have a strong chance of getting into Oxbridge? They'd just put UCL as their insurance choice.

And? People who have strong grades, a good personal statement and mention Oxford or Cambridge summer schools also apply before the deadline and also don't apply to these universities. Regardless, this is not the actual point. The fact that people you know were rejected from other universities then got an Oxbridge offer is nothing more than coincidental. Regardless of what you may think, UCL or other universities did not think "oh wow, these people are far too good for us, lets not make them an offer as its guaranteed they're going to Oxbridge" - it is nothing more than a coincidence.

Universities don't want to be an insurance choice no, and there's a lot of discussion within university networks at the moment that they want the insurance choice to be got rid of completely due to the problems it causes. However, that said, universities will not and do not reject candidates that they think are strong on the off chance that this person might get an offer from Oxford or Cambridge. Even if this person did get an offer from Oxbridge it doesn't mean that they'd certainly accept it and likewise, purely because someone failed to get into Oxbridge but then was given a UCL offer also doesn't mean that they'd accept it.

The truth is that we don't know exactly what goes on behind the scenes, but it would be naive to say for definite that there aren't any tactics being employed. You can't just automatically assume that I or other applicants "weren't what UCL is looking for" - a lot of people display all of the qualities that UCL looks for (strong grades/predicted grades, love of the subject, independent and wide reading, getting involved in social activities, managing time) and are still rejected without interview. We're not saying for definite that it's true - like I said, we only have anecdotes - but you don't really have any evidence for your theory either, apart from the official stance taken by UCL (they couldn't even give me individual feedback as to why I was rejected).

Put it this way, I've been around on TSR long enough, been in education long enough and have had enough direct contact with admissions teams through my role on TSR to know that rumours like this are quite simply rumours. If you're going to believe this rumour then you may as well also believe the fact that your friends got rejected from Edinburgh because they're from Lincolnshire and Edinburgh don't accept English students.

As I said to you before, Oxford and Cambridge have the benefit of doing their pre interview tests and requesting written work before they even decide who to interview. At interview they then get to see you for several days in depth and different people see you. This can compensate for low UMS grades or a weaker personal statement or reference and other universities just don't have this privilege so subsequently have to make some tough decisions given they have even more applicants to deal with than Oxford or Cambridge do. As a result, some seemingly "odd" results happen but this has nothing to do with the fact an applicant may have also potentially applied to Oxbridge. At the end of the day, the difference between most successful Oxbridge candidates and unsuccessful candidates is marginal. Its the same with successful/unsuccessful applicants at other universities. These universities have enough suitable and good applicants that they could fill the course several times over - they're not going to go rejecting the people they think are good purely because of the fact there's a chance another university might have also thought they were good.

And as for the idea that we make up rumours to make ourselves feel better - I have an offer from Oxford. I really don't need to 'soften the blow' of getting rejected from UCL :tongue:

Well that's good, and I'm happy for you. I hope that it is your preferred course/university and come the summer you meet the offer.
Reply 21
Its always unpredictable. I got rejected from glasgow, and I heard rumours that its grades first and personal statement second. You just put it behind you and accept it. Sometime finding out why via the university and asking for feedback can help.
Reply 22
Original post by oxymoronic

I agree with what you've said about "universities reject Oxbridge applicants because they don't like being second best" being a myth, but I think that occasionally they may act strategically.

In my case, I completed a few A Levels early and had three A grades before applying, whilst undertaking further A Levels at sixth form. I applied to Cambridge, Durham and three other AAA universities. Those three gave me unconditional offers.

As far as Cambridge went, I got an interview and was made an offer. When I applied to Durham, I chose Castle (against the advice of my careers adviser due to it being so competitive) and received a conditional AAA offer but clearly I'd been pooled since the offer was from Cuth's. Whilst I appreciate that it's extremely difficult to second-guess admissions decisions, the only reason I've come up with for this so far is that Castle thought I was likely to go to Oxbridge and therefore wanted to free up my place to take someone whose firm was probably going to be Durham.

I think that was actually pretty logical. In the end, I contacted Cuth's and asked them to make my offer unconditional because it wasn't that helpful to either of us in its original form. Either I'd make my Cambridge offer and end up there, or I'd miss it and go to my insurance. But when other AAA universities had made me unconditional offers, there was no incentive for me to make Durham my insurance!
And? People who have strong grades, a good personal statement and mention Oxford or Cambridge summer schools also apply before the deadline and also don't apply to these universities. Regardless, this is not the actual point. The fact that people you know were rejected from other universities then got an Oxbridge offer is nothing more than coincidental. Regardless of what you may think, UCL or other universities did not think "oh wow, these people are far too good for us, lets not make them an offer as its guaranteed they're going to Oxbridge" - it is nothing more than a coincidence.

It's not that they think "These people are far too good for us" - I'd say that the vast majority of UCL students would be really successful at Oxbridge. It's more the fact that, 9 times out of 10, Oxbridge candidates place Oxbridge first.

As I said to you before, Oxford and Cambridge have the benefit of doing their pre interview tests and requesting written work before they even decide who to interview. At interview they then get to see you for several days in depth and different people see you. This can compensate for low UMS grades or a weaker personal statement or reference and other universities just don't have this privilege so subsequently have to make some tough decisions given they have even more applicants to deal with than Oxford or Cambridge do.

I got full marks in AS English and History and am predicted 3 A*s at A2. At my Oxford interview the tutor said "It's clear from your personal statement that you read widely for pleasure", and I also dedicated a big paragraph to extra-curricular activities to show that I'm an all-rounder who would fit in at somewhere like UCL. Surely if my application was weak then I wouldn't have had a reduced offer of AAB from Bristol (which only takes 1 in 27 applicants for English) and an AAB offer from Leeds two weeks after I submitted my UCAS form? It just doesn't seem to make sense. But anyway, I don't want it to be specifically about me - I know a lot of people who've had the same experience over the years. The fact that UCL refuses to give feedback makes it all even more suspicious!

It doesn't really matter now anyway. I don't think we'll ever really know what goes through the minds of the admissions tutors. :tongue:

Well that's good, and I'm happy for you. I hope that it is your preferred course/university and come the summer you meet the offer.

Thank you! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tortious

Original post by Tortious
I agree with what you've said about "universities reject Oxbridge applicants because they don't like being second best" being a myth, but I think that occasionally they may act strategically.

In my case, I completed a few A Levels early and had three A grades before applying, whilst undertaking further A Levels at sixth form. I applied to Cambridge, Durham and three other AAA universities. Those three gave me unconditional offers.

As far as Cambridge went, I got an interview and was made an offer. When I applied to Durham, I chose Castle (against the advice of my careers adviser due to it being so competitive) and received a conditional AAA offer but clearly I'd been pooled since the offer was from Cuth's. Whilst I appreciate that it's extremely difficult to second-guess admissions decisions, the only reason I've come up with for this so far is that Castle thought I was likely to go to Oxbridge and therefore wanted to free up my place to take someone whose firm was probably going to be Durham.

I think that was actually pretty logical. In the end, I contacted Cuth's and asked them to make my offer unconditional because it wasn't that helpful to either of us in its original form. Either I'd make my Cambridge offer and end up there, or I'd miss it and go to my insurance. But when other AAA universities had made me unconditional offers, there was no incentive for me to make Durham my insurance!

The Durham college system doesn't work like that though. It's not like Oxbridge where the colleges make their own decisions on admissions and 'pool' you to someone else if they like you but haven't got room for you. When you first submit an application, the department looks at all applications regardless of college and makes a decision on them. If you get accepted, then they send the application to the college of your choice and if they have space for another student in that subject, then they HAVE to accept you- they can't just pick and choose. If not, then they will send the application to other colleges until they find one that has room for a student in that subject.

So all that happened in your case was that the department liked your application and accepted you, but Castle didn't have room for another student in your subject (as is quite common as it's a very popular college) so sent your application to Cuth's who did have room for you.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by lil_miss_rapunzel
The Durham college system doesn't work like that though. It's not like Oxbridge where the colleges make their own decisions on admissions and 'pool' you to someone else if they like you but haven't got room for you. When you first submit an application, the department looks at all applications regardless of college and makes a decision on them. If you get accepted, then they send the application to the college of your choice and if they have space for another student in that subject, then they HAVE to accept you- they can't just pick and choose. If not, then they will send the application to other colleges until they find one that has room for a student in that subject.

So all that happened in your case was that the department liked your application and accepted you, but Castle didn't have room for another student in your subject (as is quite common as it's a very popular college) so sent your application to Cuth's who did have room for you.

Interesting, I didn't know that. Thanks for the info. :smile:
Offer from York, Exeter and Sheffield. Rejection from
Durham despite getting predicted A*A*AA after getting AAAA at as plus an A grade epq. My personal statement was seen as very good by my teachers, I just don't know where I went wrong. Don't feel I have a chance at getting st Andrews...Am I wrong?
Original post by Linclass
Stuff :tongue:

Did you get into Cambridge or St. Andrews?
Any useful feedback?
(Sorry for being nosy :biggrin:)
Reply 28
Original post by Alexandra's Box
Did you get into Cambridge or St. Andrews?
Any useful feedback?
(Sorry for being nosy :biggrin:)

Unsuccessful at Cambridge :frown: and still waiting to hear from St Andrews

I'm not holding out much hope of an offer, I feel disheartened and let down by the whole application experience. I know I am lucky to have an offer at a Uni I liked, but wish I had a choice!
Original post by Linclass
Unsuccessful at Cambridge :frown: and still waiting to hear from St Andrews

I'm not holding out much hope of an offer, I feel disheartened and let down by the whole application experience. I know I am lucky to have an offer at a Uni I liked, but wish I had a choice!

Oh :frown: very unlucky. There seems to be a lot of complaints or sad comments about UCAS etc. At least you do have somewhere good to go! I hope that St. A is helpful... you never know! Good luck with your course in September. :smile:
Reply 30
Looking at the offers/rejections that many of my friends and some cousins have had, when comparing GCSE'S, AS results, predicted grades, extra curricular activities, different schooling i.e. Grammar, private, state or socio-economic backgrounds etc etc. There seems little logic in the selection process. One of my friends had undertaken so many AS & A2's they have had no time for extra curricular activates. [no interview at Cambridge but two offers from Durham] Some of the high achievers, appear to have 'ticked all the right boxes' but have received a higher rejection rate from their chosen Universities than those who have lower AS results and final predicted grades BUT have had 5/5 offers.

The clearest difference I have noted is the popularity of the course and/or university, my friends who have the highest grades, who have applied for oversubscribed courses/Universities have received the highest rejection rate. Compared with those with similar or lower grades, who have applied to more obscure/undersubscribed courses.

I have come to the conclusion as long as you meet the entrance criteria for your chosen course, the rest is down to luck and what sort of mood who ever reviews your application is in that day for oversubscribed courses/universties!
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending