Turn on thread page Beta

Japanese speakers? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    He did aye

ReputationRep:
    Lol here are a list of curious/funny sounding japanese words which I learned once and never forgot:

Kinki (禁忌) - Taboo
    Fu kyou (不況) - Recession
    Fu kyuu suru (普及する) - Restore
    Bubi (武備) - Penultimate
    Fu kouhei (不公平) - Unfair (I have the unusual way of remembering this word by thinking of "f**k oh, hey! that's unfair!)

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me of something I wanted to ask, am I right in thinking the Japanese don't have many of their own swear words?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eien)
    Lol here are a list of curious/funny sounding japanese words which I learned once and never forgot:

Kinki (禁忌) - Taboo
    Fu kyou (不況) - Recession
    Fu kyuu suru (普及する) - Restore
    Bubi (武備) - Penultimate
    Fu kouhei (不公平) - Unfair (I have the unusual way of remembering this word by thinking of "f**k oh, hey! that's unfair!)
    The last one is definitely very funny. Thanks for the tip. Better for me to remember it.

(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    That reminds me of something I wanted to ask, am I right in thinking the Japanese don't have many of their own swear words?
    Yes, that's correct. 'Baka' is practically the only real swear words that they have though I'm sure they invented more. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Two other exclamations I know are:

てめえ (Temee) - The western translation would be something like "Why, you!" - the sort of thing a bad guy in a cartoon would say to the heroes

くそっ!(Kuso!) - The equivalent translation would be s**t! but the implication is milder, so is somewhere between "oh no" and "s**t"

Also a suffix that can be added to somebody's name is め (Me)

E.g. Dr Robotnik might say くそっ!ソニックめ!(This is the example I learnt it from! :p: ) and it is used to express irritation or anger towards the person whose name precedes the "me". It can also be used to express milder forms of anger such as if somebody forgets to do the washing up, and somebody says (name)Me!

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd just share some similar Japanese and Korean words for your amusement :p:

Japanese word/Korean Word
    Shinbun = Shinmum (Newspaper)
    Yakusoku = Yaksok (Promise)
    Kashu = Kasu (Singer)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eien)
    日本語を話せる人がいますか? 日本人だったら、イギリスに行ったこ とがありますか。私は、イギリス人ですけど、三年前に日本語を勉強し はじめることにして、大学で日本語を勉強するつもりです。でも、どこ で日本語を勉強するのかをまだ決めなかった!ヨーロッパとアジアの違 っている点は、何と思いますか。私は、日本に行ったとき、本っっ当に 。。暑くて、皆の電車を乗ってる人は、いつも急ぎました!自動販売機 が沢山あって、典型的な日本人は、喧嘩をしないようによく妥協します 。皆さんは、違う話し方と考え方があって、日本に行くことは、私の人 生を変えました。イギリスに行ったことがある日本人は、同じ経験があ りましたか。日本人じゃなかったらどれぐらい日本語を習 いましたか。
    私は日本語を勉強してよかったですけど、日本語を話すのがはっきり下 手ですね。
    しかし僕は前より日本語が無論上手になりましたよ。いつか日本に行き たいです。
    貴方は三年前に日本語を勉強し始めることにいると言っていましたね。 自分は、スウェーデンで、
    ただ一年前に日本語を習い始めることにありますでも、そら、鮮に貴方 の日本語は
    難しくてきれいなですと思います。さて、自分も確かに大学で日本語を 勉強するつもりです。うん、程よく大変なと思った。

My Japanese is clearly rudimentary, I've only finished Genki I (if you know what I mean). Can you even read the above properly? -- I want your comments! -- I bet I made plenty of grammatical misstakes above I have studied Japanese only for 1 year when I lived in Sweden, although I have been self-"studying" out of my own interest after that. I really wanted to go to Japan and take a summer course in Japanese, but it's just waaay too expensive for me!

Hehe, do you know any other Japanese words for "I", except those I mentioned (私,僕,自分)

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, I can hardly read that

Genki as in the books? Are they any good?

Another word for I is 俺 (おれ), its suppose to be an arrogant way to say it and used by males.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jim-ie)
    Jesus, I can hardly read that

Genki as in the books? Are they any good?

Another word for I is 俺 (おれ), its suppose to be an arrogant way to say it and used by males.
    Don't worry, the above I wrote in Japanese took me some time to write, too (or did you mean that my Japanese is simply put not-Japanese?:confused: )

Yeah, I meant Genki 1: An Integrated Course in Elementary Japanese book. I have done the first 4 chapters of the book in class, and then read through the remaining 8 chapters by myself. I got to tell that I found it very useful, just wish I had time to read Genki II as well The Genki books have dialogs followed by a vocabulary list and grammar rules in each chapter. You can find many of those grammar rules etc. at http://www.stolaf.edu/depts/asian-st...mmar/index.htm

I also find bilingual literature rather useful then learning Japanese. I will buy this book: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/4...lance&n=266239 soon enough. You can find a bit simpler japanese texts with explained 漢字 here: http://contest.thinkquest.gr.jp/tqj1...omi/index.html

Alright, I now know FOUR ways to tell "I" in Japanese!

ReputationRep:
    Once again I underestimated the Japanese language (!) Here are some ways to say "I" in Japanese:

• 私【わたくし】 (adj-no,n) I; myself; private affairs; (P).
    • 私【わし】 (adj-no,n) I; me (used by elderly).
    • 私【わたし】 (adj-no,n) I; myself; private affairs; (P).
    • 俺様【おれさま】 (n) I, myself (pompously).
    • 我が輩【わがはい】 (n) (arch) I, me, myself (masc) (nuance of arrogance);
    • 我輩【わがはい】 (n) (arch) I, me, myself (masc) (nuance of arrogance); we,
    • 己様【おれさま】 (n) I, myself (pompously).
    • 吾が輩【わがはい】 (n) (arch) I, me, myself (masc) (nuance of arrogance);
    • 吾輩【わがはい】 (n) (arch) I, me, myself (masc) (nuance of arrogance); we,
    • 自分【じぶん】 (n) I, myself; oneself; (P).
    • 僕【ぼく】 (n) (male) I; manservant; (P).

:eek:

ReputationRep:
    :eek:

I couldnt read it because I'm not good enough at Japanese, 日本語をちょっとしゃべれます..

I meant Where did you get the genki I book? Anywhere online within europe? I need to learn katakana.........

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. aye..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ross_j)
    先ず、自分は貴方のポスツを何も知りなかったけど、後でとても楽しい な。

I couldn't actually get that one at first! Hehe, "Japanese Speakers"

(Original post by ジム-イエ)
    Where did you get the genki I book? Anywhere online within europe? I need to learn katakana.........
    You could buy the Genki books from amazon.co.uk, but it would probably be easier to go to your local book shop and ask them to deliver it for you (some shops can order books especially for you). There are the Genki Textbook and Workbook -- get the textbook first, as workbooks are rather expensive. Also, if you have cash you could buy the Genki CDs (good for speaking), but those are really expensive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paragon)
    私は日本語を勉強してよかったですけど、日本語を話すのがはっきり下 手ですね。
    しかし僕は前より日本語が無論上手になりましたよ。いつか日本に行き たいです。
    貴方は三年前に日本語を勉強し始めることにいると言っていましたね。 自分は、スウェーデンで、
    ただ一年前に日本語を習い始めることにありますでも、そら、鮮に貴方 の日本語は
    難しくてきれいなですと思います。さて、自分も確かに大学で日本語を 勉強するつもりです。うん、程よく大変なと思った。

My Japanese is clearly rudimentary, I've only finished Genki I (if you know what I mean). Can you even read the above properly? -- I want your comments! -- I bet I made plenty of grammatical misstakes above I have studied Japanese only for 1 year when I lived in Sweden, although I have been self-"studying" out of my own interest after that. I really wanted to go to Japan and take a summer course in Japanese, but it's just waaay too expensive for me!

Hehe, do you know any other Japanese words for "I", except those I mentioned (私,僕,自分)
    Hey, your Japanese is pretty good! 日本語が上手だよ!でも、あなたは、典型的な日本人のように日本語が 下手ように言われました。。(笑)あなたの話は、少し間違えたけど、 あまり大変じゃないですよ!私の日本語も完璧じゃないで す!

あなたの話を修正しました:

私は日本語を勉強してよかったですけど、日本語を話すのが本当に下手 ですね。
    しかし、僕は前の月のときより日本語が無論上手になりましたよ。いつ か日本に行きたいです。
    あなたは三年前に日本語を勉強し始めるということを言っていましたね 。私は、スウェーデンで、
    一年前だけに日本語を習い始めましたが、そら、鮮にあなたの日本語の レベルは、高くてきれいだと思います。さて、私も確かに大学で日本語 を勉強するつもりです。うん、程よく大変だと思いました 。
    「貴方」の漢字は、今、あまり使われなかったので、ひらがなで書きま した。

私の修正は、全く完璧じゃないでしょう。。

日本語を勉強し続けようね!漢字を覚えることは、だんだん易しくなり ます!!頑張って!私は、漢字を650つぐらいしか覚えませんでした 。でも、漢字は、忘れやすいです!!

Sorry I just want to correct this too: (I don't pretend to always have perfect Japanese though!!)

先ず、自分は貴方のポスツを何も知りなかったけど、後でとても楽しい な。
    最初にあなたの冗談を全然分からなかったけど、分かれるようになった 後でおかしかったです。冗談(じょうだん・Joke)I s probably better to use, as well as 分かる (Understand) Rather than 知る。Normally in Japanese you have to say the thing after which something happens rather than just ”After" 後で - I learned this after being corrected by my teacher. So you would say "after getting the joke" (分かれるようになった後で)

Btw, 自分 Normally means "myself" in the context of "I did it myself" (自分でやりました) Or "my own" 自分のやり方 (My own way of doing things) Rather than being used for "I".

Hope this helps, I don't want to sound too nitpicky since I'm not perfectly fluent in Japanese myself..yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot, Eiden! I found your comments really usefull (just that I wanted ), no need to apologize for being picky! After all, I doubt that anyone know Japanese perfectly!

I never had a teacher in Japanese for very long, so I find your amendments very useful. Memorizing Kanji is, of course, [usually] difficult, so I tend to use them as much as possible in order to keep them in my head (I used to even keep a diary as a practice writting kanji).

I will certainly persist and continue to study Japanese little by little I don't think that I will be able to keep up in a conversation with someone Japanese, but I will definitely be able to read contemporary Japanese novells.:cool:

Thanks once again for your comments!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paragon)
    Thanks a lot, Eiden! I found your comments really usefull (just that I wanted ), no need to apologize for being picky! After all, I doubt that anyone know Japanese perfectly!

I never had a teacher in Japanese for very long, so I find your amendments very useful. Memorizing Kanji is, of course, [usually] difficult, so I tend to use them as much as possible in order to keep them in my head (I used to even keep a diary as a practice writting kanji).

I will certainly persist and continue to study Japanese little by little I don't think that I will be able to keep up in a conversation with someone Japanese, but I will definitely be able to read contemporary Japanese novells.:cool:

Thanks once again for your comments!
    Actually, after practise, and constant exposure to Japanese, you'll be surprised how much of a conversation you can carry (although it'd probably take at least another year to gain a basic level of confidence in your situation I'd imagine), I find after a while of listening to Japanese (at a level I can understand) I gain the sensation of listening to it as a natural first language, and I am no longer "translating" it in my head. People have different approaches to learning and understanding languages, so it will be important to find your own and maximise it - and find in what areas you are strongest and weakest (e.g. reading, writing, speaking, listening, etc)

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I know what you mean, 永遠 ! I think it's after all pointless to translate Japanese to English in the long run -- it simply turns out to be completely different.

Japanese is my 5th language, and it's certainly the most beautiful language I've ever encountered. I now realize that I don't even have to bother to memorize all those new kanji, if I see and use them often enough, most of them stay in my memory by themselves. Constant exposure is the key

EDIT: I know this might be a bit weird of me asking you, but... Do you know any anime series/movies in a similar style to Chobits? I'm sorry, but I have simply been chained in front of my PC until like 3am yesterday just to finish the last Chobits episode. Alas, Chobits is solely a 26 episode series! And how much I love it!

ReputationRep:
    I've ordered myself a Koto from Japan, well a smaller 4ft portable one because full sized ones have to be shipped or brought back in person. Should be able to pick up a bit of the language in the process of learning to play it!

ReputationRep:
    A koto? Eh? What's that?

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.