Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caramello)
    I speak Japanese, I'm 1/2 Japanese although my keyboard is in English so I cannot type in Japanese.

But anyway, The Student Room ni hoka ni nihongo shabereru hito ita no shiranakatta desu. Haha why am I talking in keigo.
    im half japanese too and im stuck with the same problem - my keyboard doesn't have japanese

anyhooo - konnichiwaaaaaa~*:suith:

ReputationRep:
    My new laptop has a touch screen that lets me draw Kanji and converts it into text! But I have nobody to help me practise

ReputationRep:
    I set my Laptop to type in kana, forget how I done it though. I think i had to install the east asian language packs with the windows CD then change my language setting from English to "JP". Then you just press Alt and ¬ to type in ひらがな.

Done it ages ago.

On a side note, I'm starting to learn Katakana and I hate it. Why is A in both kana so hard to write :mad: あ and ア, i can never get it right.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I found hiragana easier and more fun than katakana. Which is just as well as it is more important.

ReputationRep:
    Can you believe I spoke Japanese and its my first language but we left Japan when I was a child and haven't used that language ever since and now I don't speak it anymore!!!

ReputationRep:
    I am a newbie around here and very interested in the Japanese culture and am contemplating learning the language. Would anyone be willing to teach me some basic stuff and just inform me a little more on the culture.

If so, thank you very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princess319)
    im half japanese too and im stuck with the same problem - my keyboard doesn't have japanese

anyhooo - konnichiwaaaaaa~*:suith:
    YEAaahhh go half.
    HAhaha!
    I have jp input cuz im cool.
    見て、日本語日本語日本語

(Original post by guess-who)
    Can you believe I spoke Japanese and its my first language but we left Japan when I was a child and haven't used that language ever since and now I don't speak it anymore!!!
    How old were you when you left japan?

(Original post by BlueNose)
    I am a newbie around here and very interested in the Japanese culture and am contemplating learning the language. Would anyone be willing to teach me some basic stuff and just inform me a little more on the culture.
    Culture - I guess buy some books on Japan. Or if you have any questions just ask.

(Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    My new laptop has a touch screen that lets me draw Kanji and converts it into text! But I have nobody to help me practise
    Woah cool! Practice on here man!

(Original post by Jim-ie)
    On a side note, I'm starting to learn Katakana and I hate it. Why is A in both kana so hard to write :mad: あ and ア, i can never get it right.
    HAha! Why do people always find the last stroke on あ so difficult? My mum cant write it properly haha.

Woaah IM full of energy today waaaaaaa.
    今日俺元気元気 笑

ReputationRep:
    こんにちは

ちょっと悪いけど。。。話題じゃないですけど。僕は今日本に住んでい るけど今年の十月からロンドンに住む予定だ。日本語を忘れないように 日本人のルーメートを探している。合格した大学はlse です。

私はノルウェー人です。二十歳です。国際関係を勉強する予定です。ロ ンドンで勉強しようと思っている日本語が話せる方がいらっしゃいます か。

どうぞよろしくお願い致します。

ReputationRep:
    Can someone help me find the right kanji/ kana to use for some romaji sentences?

The first is the polite introduction 'hajimete o-me ni kakarimasu'

ありがと

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cheesecakebobby)
    Can someone help me find the right kanji/ kana to use for some romaji sentences?

The first is the polite introduction 'hajimete o-me ni kakarimasu'

ありがと
    初めてお目にかかります。

Kakarimas has probably a Kanji, but this should be ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugla)
    初めてお目にかかります。

Kakarimas has probably a Kanji, but this should be ok
    Thanks a lot! Could I also trouble you for a literal explanation? I know it is functionally equivalent in most cases to はじめまして but I want to understand what exactly is being said (for example what does the 目 in the sentence do?)

ReputationRep:
    yo waddup xD
    Currently in Roppongi Tokyo atm (I live here ) but hopefully I'll get to go to the UK for uni next year :P

ReputationRep:
    みんなの好きな食べものは。。。。なんですか?

俺のは、
    ラーメン
    ハイチュ

子供みたいな:d

ReputationRep:
    てんぷらはおいしいだよ!

ReputationRep:
    I might have asked this before but does anyone know of any good websites, books, DVDs even that help facilitate the self-teaching of the koto? I can't find any teachers and I doubt I could afford one anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back from Nihon this afternoon. Hence the reason I'm writing this at 5am as I'm still stuck on JST.

6 days is an unsual time to get lost in Tokyo but I managed it. My mind and body are out of sync.

Slowly wandering
    Softly past clouds
    I cannot sleep.

I've learnt sod all Japanese whilst I was there, yet somehow feel I have learnt more in doing so. Sort of learning by the process of doing nothing but simply exisiting at that exact moment in time when the Gods deem it worthy. Give me a week break in Shinjuku over a £600 DIY Japanese course and I'll show you a happy man. Hanami is coming early methinks. I don't mean the sakura.

Went to an onsen for the first time and loved it (in Hakone, along Lake Ashi right underneath the glare of Fuji-san - view ain't up to much :p: .) Want to go back to one in the summer and do it again. But sadly I'll be moving, so no Japan for at least 18 months. Hopefully laughing at (or should that be 'with') some exchange students, watching my newly imported DVD collection and learning some vocab kanji should now bring me back in line. I'm my own worst enemy when it comes to actually studying - I've done nothing and have a *ton* of it to do....

benkyou suru - 勉強する
    wakaru - 分かる
    katsu - 勝つ

Repeat ten times a day until jet-lag and a proficieny to do some bleedin' work is resolved.

ReputationRep:
    Tried writing some kanjis yesterday with a friend of mine who knows some chinese characters, but unfortunately I've forgotten most of the kanjis.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ugla)
    こんにちは

ちょっと悪いけど。。。話題じゃないですけど。僕は今日本に住んでい るけど今年の十月からロンドンに住む予定だ。日本語を忘れないように 日本人のルーメートを探している。合格した大学はlse です。

私はノルウェー人です。二十歳です。国際関係を勉強する予定です。ロ ンドンで勉強しようと思っている日本語が話せる方がいらっしゃいます か。

どうぞよろしくお願い致します。
    Wow, I actually understood some of that.

Progress finally

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by layla*)
    Tried writing some kanjis yesterday with a friend of mine who knows some chinese characters, but unfortunately I've forgotten most of the kanjis.
    Watch as much variety, manzai and morning tv shows in Japanese as you can. The variety shows are great because they usually flash up the words on the screen when they say something so you can sort of read them off the screen and it helps you recognise them with the sounds. It saves having to get a load of books and magazines out.

Dotch cooking show is a favourite of mine.

Its all about familiarisation. Once you see it in the context, you'll understand it.

ReputationRep:
    Where can we get hold of those shows, gaijin?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.