The Student Room Group

Getting Accepted into A Top 10 Uni Guarantees you NOTHING

Sick of these elitists saying " hurr durr I'm going to Oxbridge, got offers from Nottingham Trent"

Watch them come out and struggle to get work at Wickes.

discuss

Scroll to see replies

Haters are hating tonight!
Reply 2
Discuss what?
Reply 3
He's got a point. Not a very good one, but I can see what he's trying to get at. Unfortunately, we still live in a system whereby anyone who goes to Oxbridge can get pretty much any job irrespective of whether or not they're actually qualified.

You want to go into Investment Banking? You've got a 2.1 in Theology from Oxford? Nice to meet you, your desk's over there :smile:
You want to go into Investment Banking? You've got a 2.1 in joint Honours Maths & Economics from LSE, an MA and two IB internships under your belt? Hmm, we'll get back to you. Your CV's on file.

I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not :sadnod: The job market is terrible just now and employers are looking for experience > qualifications, but the Oxbridge bandwagon continues to roll in its little bubble. An elitist anachronism if ever I saw it.

There is also this little thing called "being overqualified". If you have a PhD and apply for a job at Wickes, people are a) going to think you're some kind of stuck-up tosser and b) you're too bright for the role and will run a mile as soon as something else comes along, therefore you're not worth the risk. Sad, I know, but also true.
(edited 12 years ago)
not much to discuss here..... but i concur nonetheless.

O.O''
nah but it's certainly a good start.
Reply 6
Actually I worked at Wickes before I went to Cambridge, and they offered me part-time work throughout my masters after graduation too. Who says those with Oxbridge degrees can't work at Wickes? :awesome:
Original post by ch0llima
He's got a point. Not a very good one, but I can see what he's trying to get at. Unfortunately, we still live in a system whereby anyone who goes to Oxbridge can get pretty much any job irrespective of whether or not they're actually qualified.

You want to go into Investment Banking? You've got a 2.1 in Theology from Oxford? Nice to meet you, your desk's over there :smile:
You want to go into Investment Banking? You've got a 2.1 in joint Honours Maths & Economics from LSE, an MA and two IB internships under your belt? Hmm, we'll get back to you. Your CV's on file.

I wish I was exaggerating but I'm not :sadnod: The job market is terrible just now and employers are looking for experience > qualifications, but the Oxbridge bandwagon continues to roll in its little bubble. An elitist anachronism if ever I saw it.

There is also this little thing called "being overqualified". If you have a PhD and apply for a job at Wickes, people are a) going to think you're some kind of stuck-up tosser and b) you're too bright for the role and will run a mile as soon as something else comes along, therefore you're not worth the risk. Sad, I know, but also true.

Chances are you probably will. Add in the money and time used up to train every new employee up to scratch, its not always fair to blame employers for not taking this risk.
Still, the students there are probably more intelligent than people who fail their GCSEs and go off to get jobs right afterwards.

A lot of kids don't think in terms of employment. The clever ones get good grades along with their friends, and end up going to uni because it seems like the natural thing. The less clever ones fail their GCSEs along with their friends, and go off to get jobs.
Reply 9
Original post by problemsolver
Still, the students there are probably more intelligent than people who fail their GCSEs and go off to get jobs right afterwards.

A lot of kids don't think in terms of employment. The clever ones get good grades along with their friends, and end up going to uni because it seems like the natural thing. The less clever ones fail their GCSEs along with their friends, and go off to get jobs.

I disagree to an extent. I have plenty of friends who are more intelligent than me but who don't work as hard as me, they didn't go to uni, but I did. In the long run I think the affect of uni upon my overall satisfaction of life will be minimal, except for those 3 amazing years.
Well, I think this point has been well established for many years.
Original post by simstar88
I disagree to an extent. I have plenty of friends who are more intelligent than me but who don't work as hard as me, they didn't go to uni, but I did. In the long run I think the affect of uni upon my overall satisfaction of life will be minimal, except for those 3 amazing years.

Based on what?
Original post by Locogooner
Sick of these elitists saying " hurr durr I'm going to Oxbridge, got offers from Nottingham Trent"

Watch them come out and struggle to get work at Wickes.

discuss

I spy some sour grapes in your cupboard >>
Reply 13
Original post by ch0llima

Wildly untrue.
Reply 14
Here are two things that I have gathered from these types of threads:

The difference between people going to a top 10 university (A) and non-top 10 university (B) is that A knows that he isn't guaranteed anything, and that B thinks that A believes that they'll graduate into a job.

B makes these types of threads because they're secretly insecure about what they're doing in life. If you truly don't care, why are you making a thread and watching/caring about what other people do?
Original post by Jingers

The difference between people going to a top 10 university (A) and non-top 10 university (B) is that A knows that he isn't guaranteed anything, and that B thinks that A believes that they'll graduate into a job.

B makes these types of threads because they're secretly insecure about what they're doing in life. If you truly don't care, why are you making a thread and watching/caring about what other people do?

I agree. It's pathetic. For example, in this thread, I think Slumpy is a Cambridge graduate and OP a bitter weirdo.
Reply 16
Original post by Jingers

Ur a party pooper
Original post by Jingers

This.
Thanks, OP.

I was feeling all proud and happy that I managed to get into a top ten university, but you've convinced me that it was all useless.

I should've just settled for the University of North London. :frown:

Which, incidentally, no longer exists.
Reply 19
your notion of "elitists" are generally speaking, lazy insufferable oafs born with a silver spoon in their mouth; of course, this is only the case with a small fraction of those who get into Oxbridge since many come from overseas to study who are arguably less arrogant and retain an over all better attitude - (in some cases) generally speaking a degree from Oxbridge under your belt is an accolade seldom found, however a university degree from a relatively average university with a perhaps less work shy attitude could go as far.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending