The Student Room Group

Getting Accepted into A Top 10 Uni Guarantees you NOTHING

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by problemsolver
Based on what?

General cognitive ability, logic and IQ.

I'm pretty sure that's what defines intelligence as well.

Being academic is not being intelligent.

Edit: I was having a think whilst re-reading this thread, what a lot of you refer to is lumping people into two categories:

- Those who go to a decent uni and get good grades. These people are suggested to be superior and somehow better and guaranteed a job in IB, even though IB results in a poor standard of life.

- Those who aren't academically inclined or gifted. These people are suggested to be low lifes who are insecure about where they are going.

This is not the population. Once you enter the world of work some of those people who weren't academically inclined/gifted will be above you and telling you what to do. It's even possible in investment banking, believe it or not,

I think I genuinely hate 60% of people on this forum, especially those who think they are better than others because they got an A. This is coming from someone who has mostly A/A*.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by simstar88
General cognitive ability, logic and IQ.

I'm pretty sure that's what defines intelligence as well.

Being academic is not being intelligent.

Edit: I was having a think whilst re-reading this thread, what a lot of you refer to is lumping people into two categories:

- Those who go to a decent uni and get good grades. These people are suggested to be superior and somehow better and guaranteed a job in IB, even though IB results in a poor standard of life.

- Those who aren't academically inclined or gifted. These people are suggested to be low lifes who are insecure about where they are going.

This is not the population. Once you enter the world of work some of those people who weren't academically inclined/gifted will be above you and telling you what to do. It's even possible in investment banking, believe it or not,

I think I genuinely hate 60% of people on this forum, especially those who think they are better than others because they got an A. This is coming from someone who has mostly A/A*.

I don't. I usually judge people on whether they give me respect and how much respect they give me. I've thought that certain people with poor grades were better than certain people with good grades. But I've also met some complete dickheads with atrocious grades as well, and really nice guys with good grades.

But in this thread, I was trying to make general statements about the overall population. Of course, when weighing people up, having done better in one activity (like an exam) is something which counts in their favour, and I have no evidence about their backgrounds or how well they perform in general in other activities, so it's only fair for me to guess that people who get good grades are on average better.

And how do you measure "General cognitive ability, logic and IQ."? Well IQ I understand, but to me IQ seems like a load of shallow, boring crap and any clever person can see that. But how are you judging "general cognitive ability" and "logic". If it's conversation, I don't think that's the best measure. Some people might hold back in conversation so that they can fit a certain image, and judging someone's logic in their time off when it doesn't count for anything doesn't seem very reliable.
(edited 12 years ago)
OP is absoustly correct! **** YOU OXFFAM GEEKS!
Reply 23
Original post by simstar88

Why'd you say that? I have no interest in working in IB as I'd probably want to hang myself after a week but I thought that was a minority view :wink:
Reply 24
Original post by FadedJade
Actually I worked at Wickes before I went to Cambridge, and they offered me part-time work throughout my masters after graduation too. Who says those with Oxbridge degrees can't work at Wickes? :awesome:

Working at Wickes? Nice to see your degree worked out well ...
Reply 25
I'm just glad I'm somewhere I love :3
Reply 26
I totally don't understand this argument people keep having.

Getting good grades is ALWAYS a good thing. If you got good grades, why shouldn't you be rewarded?
That doesn't mean people who didn't get such good grades are stupid, or will fail at life.

But in England everyone seems so obsessed with hiding achievement. If you got good grades and got into a good uni, well done.
Somebody got rejected

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending