Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Im currently in my A2 year, and I think that I am going to be doing MEI AS further maths in the summer (without teaching). Can anyone reccomend which modules would be good, because I get to choose. I think you have to do FP1 and i want to do S2 aswell, but I don't know which one to do as the third (preferably something easy). Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing AS Further Maths, and in my school we have to do:
    FP1, M1, M2

Have you done a full-maths A-level? If not, you can swap one of the harder modules, i.e. S2 with S1 (which you'd do in a normal maths A-level). This way, it would boost your Further Maths grade, and providing you have good marks in normal maths modules, it shouldn't affect your grade for normal maths.
    I hope that made sense. If it doesn't, I will clarify it more.

As to which modules to pick, it depends on what you're stronger at. If you're strong with pure maths - I'd pick FP2 (altough most people pure maths hard, but it is extremely useful). If you're good at Mechanics, pick M1/M2. Otherwise go for S3.

ReputationRep:
    Decision 1 is supposed to be easy, but it's a wierd style of maths and if it doesn't interest(it's boring as hell) you probly won't do that well in it.

ReputationRep:
    mechanics and pure are useful for maths/engineering/natsci degrees and decision modules are good for computing and statistics......well everyone hates statistics, altho it's quite easy

ReputationRep:
    thanks alot

yes, I'm doing A level maths - C1,C2,C3,C4,S1,M1

i don't really want to do FP2 because I'm sure there are easier things to do. D1, M2 and S3 are probably the contenders, how is M2?

ReputationRep:
    I think for a Further Maths AS Level you have to do at least one of the "Further Pure" modules. I'm in a similar situation to you, and taught myself, and opted to do S1, M3 and am doing FP1 next term.
    M2, I did as part of Maths A-Level and is pretty good, especially if you are interested in the physics/engineering side.

Have you considered S2? Apparently it's pretty interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Oh wicked, how did they go?

Ive already done M1 and S1, ye I want to do S2, and I think you have to do FP1, i'm just not sure about the third one.... (probably either D1,S3 or M2)

Maybe i'll do two and keep the best!??!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I'm sort of in the same situation as you, and am working towards AS FM this year. We have done S2 & D1, and will be doing FP1 in June.

D1 is relatively simple, although I found myself sick of it by the end of it. It's very different, so I'd suggest that you maybe got hold of a textbook and have a flick through a few of the chapters.

According to my stats teacher, S3 is simpler than S2...somehow! This is for the ordinary OCR syllabus though. I actually enjoyed S2, even though some parts did get a little repetitive.

So yeah. You're probably not any closer to making a decision based on that :rolleyes: but hope you get it sorted out!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aaronc2)
    Oh wicked, how did they go?

Ive already done M1 and S1, ye I want to do S2, and I think you have to do FP1, i'm just not sure about the third one.... (probably either D1,S3 or M2)

Maybe i'll do two and keep the best!??!:rolleyes:
    It's gone pretty well, S1 I got an A (Easy module, most people should get an A), M3 is a tough module but very interesting. Took it this january.

Um, I personally would go for M2, it's quite a nice module. A lot of people say D1 is easy too, but I've never looked at it, so might be an idea to have a look at the text book.

ReputationRep:
    If you are teaching yourself I take it you will be using some kind of textbook. You might need to consider the textbooks that are available for each module. There tends to be plenty for 1's (i.e M1, D1, S1 etc.) but the more advanced they get, the fewer people sit the exam, so the fewer textbooks there are. This might be an issue for S3.

ReputationRep:
    Yes possibly, but I think the MEI course is well covered by those really good module textbooks, thanks for the advice though, I'll look into it

ReputationRep:
    further pure 1 is compulsary, as is further pure 2(usually taken in the A2 year), further pure three is optional tho.
    for example this year i am taking for AS further maths FP1, D1 and S2. And next year i'll be taking FP2, M2 and D2 for A2

ReputationRep:
    ye but I only want to do AS

ReputationRep:
    Im in a similar situation! I've done D1 which is boring as sh*t! Im going to be doin FP1 and NM1 in the summer. Im hoping to carry it onto A2 and do FP2, FP3 hopefully but can't think of the 6th module D1 is easy but incredibly sh*t (Networks, graphs, algorithims, linear programming, simulation). NM1 looks fairly easy and alot more 'mathy' than engineering! Does anyone know if theres a Module known as FP4? Im doing the MEI Structured course too.

ReputationRep:
    Theres no FP4 but there is 'DE' - Differential Equations, which is sort of a hybrid between really advanced pure and mechanics.

Is D1 really that crud? Is it also hard to get a good mark, because some people are saying that it is?

ReputationRep:
    D1s actualy really easy to score highly on. 45-50/75 raw normally converts to 80UMS.

ReputationRep:
    im only doing statistics in further maths at the minute! lol and thats easy

ReputationRep:
    hmm, getting mixed messages - never a good sign

ReputationRep:
    I haven't D1 or S2 so I can't tell you how those are, but if you enjoyed M1 or found it easy, I'd definitely tell you to go for M2. Its not at all hard, and you will probably enjoy it if you found M1 easy

ReputationRep:
    im finding m1 ok... some of the questions are a bit dicy, but its better (and more useful) than the stuff in the cores!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.