Turn on thread page Beta

Tip for making myself look older watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, you seem like a very knowledgable bunch of people when it comes to this stuff.. so I was just wondering if you could help me. I'm nearly 16 but I look atleast 2 years younger than I actually am, while loads of other girls at my school look OLDER than they are! It's just really annoying me! I've got light brown, straightened hair, green eyes and I'm quite short for my age - about 5ft 2. Any tips on how I could make myself look older using makeup or maybe doing something different with my hair?! Thanks very much, Helen xx

ReputationRep:
    You could try drying your hair so its all wavy after you've washed it? Im only 5ft2 aswell and everyone thinks i look older with wavy hair than i do with poker straight hair?

Oh and keep your make-up as natural as you can too!

ReputationRep:
    Not as bad as me, I'm sure. I'm 16 and was mistaken as a Year 7 last week. :rolleyes:

High heels? They make your legs look longer. And wear shoes instead of trainers. I agree that curlier hair sometimes make you look older. Maybe you could just try it for a while and see if you like it.

But there are benefits of looking younger! For example, you can keep using the child fare on public transport for at least several more years. :p:

ReputationRep:
    you could put in grey highlights

ReputationRep:
    if you post a picture it could help us a little

ReputationRep:
    The key to trying to look older isnt "try and dress how ou think youd dress to look older" if that makes sense the ammount of girls you see paraiding about town in short skirts low cut tops etc. getting knocked back from clubs when my friends and i just were something sophisticated... that doesnt show alot of skin at all .. hell ive even worn actual balelt slipeprs out clubbing lol
    Anways i think i haircut is important ...very much so. I also look very young so i can sympathise.... mind you saying that i have no trouble getting served and im 16 ... but i always feel young compared to other people.
    I hang around with alot of older people and they say they forget im like 4 years younger then them becuase of the way i carry my self and the way i act. I think the way you act and caryy yourself can make you appear more sophisticated and therefor older.
    WHat ever you dont slap on the make up wear heals or wear "grown up" clothes as this will just make you look silly and too try ahrd not in the slightest bit older.
    Hope some of what ive said makes some sense
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I apparently look younger than my age too so i knwo how you feel. but what if you look better in straight hair than curled?

ReputationRep:
    Looking younger isn't necessarily a bad thing IMO...but anyway, that's just me.
    Here's a link that might help you dress older. http://www.ehow.com/how_16537_dress-look-older.html
    Don't use glittery lipgloss or anything because thats so tweenish.
    5ft2 isn't that short, i'm only 3 inches taller than you.
    Other than that, there's really not much you can do but wait.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, don't try too hard - I'm 18 now but i've been going out to clubs etc since I was 15 (naughty me ) the tricks are what've been said already..

DO NOT overdo the makeup, no glitter/shiny happy metally ness
    Don't wear overly clubby skin bearing clothes
    DO be confident without being all screamy and tweeny
    and DONT try and make yourself tall with huge heels - some of my friends are like 5"1/5"2 and they never get ID'd when they wear low shoes and ALWAYS do with heels because it looks like they're worried :P

and if you just want to go out drinking and not just look older... lay off the alcopops - it's a dead giveaway!

ReputationRep:
    If you can stand it wear 3/4 inch spiky heels. Also get made up in a sophisticated way, you best consult a pro to see what suits you best.

Also consider a corset, it'll cinch your waist in, so you will have a feminine curves, but also it makes you look taller, as your thinner. Initally you can take of 2-4 inches, but one can easily reach 6 inches reduction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiamaria)
    The key to trying to look older isnt "try and dress how ou think youd dress to look older" if that makes sense the ammount of girls you see paraiding about town in short skirts low cut tops etc. getting knocked back from clubs when my friends and i just were something sophisticated... that doesnt show alot of skin at all .. hell ive even worn actual balelt slipeprs out clubbing lol
    Anways i think i haircut is important ...very much so. I also look very young so i can sympathise.... mind you saying that i have no trouble getting served and im 16 ... but i always feel young compared to other people.
    I hang around with alot of older people and they say they forget im like 4 years younger then them becuase of the way i carry my self and the way i act. I think the way you act and caryy yourself can make you appear more sophisticated and therefor older.
    WHat ever you dont slap on the make up wear heals or wear "grown up" clothes as this will just make you look silly and too try ahrd not in the slightest bit older.
    xxx
    here here! best advice on this thread! thats what i do and it works wonders:yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiamaria)
    xxx
    Totally.

The best outfit I've ever worn out clubbing has been a simple black dress with pointy flats and a black jacket, with nice sophisticated make-up. Got in absolutely everywhere we went (I'm 17). I was ID'd by one bouncer and casually said, "No, I haven't got it on me" and he looked me up and down and went, "in you go love".

So being confident and sophisticated and comfortable will do wonders. Don't be apologetic for being too young, feel like you belong with older people. Adults don't wear teeny clothes, they have the experience to put together and outfit and that's what the rest of us have to do.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I have to disagree with the sparkly glitter, I often use urban decay eyeshadow and don't really have much problem in getting in pubs/clubs. I also look young for my age I'm 17 and only 5ft. But I hardly ever get id'd although I do tend to go around with older people. I always wear clothes which I like and remember legs or cleavage and never both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mata)
    I was ID'd by one bouncer and casually said, "No, I haven't got it on me" and he looked me up and down and went, "in you go love".
    Grrrrr!!!!! Damn bouncers, and people wonder why I check IDs at the bar :rolleyes:

Sorry Mata that wasn't a dig at you.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=chaoringmeister]If you can stand it wear 3/4 inch spiky heels. Also get made up in a sophisticated way, you best consult a pro to see what suits you best.

Also consider a corset, it'll cinch your waist in, so you will have a feminine curves, but also it makes you look taller, as your thinner. Initally you can take of 2-4 inches, but one can easily reach 6 inches reduction.[/QUOTE]

sounds good to me. where can you get one from

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Grrrrr!!!!! Damn bouncers, and people wonder why I check IDs at the bar :rolleyes:

Sorry Mata that wasn't a dig at you.
    No, I understand. Even I thought that he was a bit silly to do that, because if there had been a police check then he would have been in big trouble. Yes, I was trying to get in without ID so the responsibility is partly mine, but he could have turned me away and chose not to.

On another note - isn't a corset a bit much? You can get a similar (but less extreme) effect by using one of those cinch-in belts. They work on people who have less of a defined waist but don't seem to work on those who already have a defined waist (waist becomes tiny, hips thus look huge). I wouldn't shell out quite a lot of money (over £90 from reputable websites) on a corset when you can just use normal clothes to look older.

ReputationRep:
    eyeliner always seems to make ppl appear older, dunno why tho. but yer, natural make up (not to much) and a hint of eyeliner for gorgeous older eyes.

boots can also contribute to the effect, they dont have to have much of a heel either, just nice black boots with a pointy toe or something.

and defo wavy hair.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon a LOT of it is to do with how confident you are. I'm 18 now but have been going clubbing since I was 16ish, and have had varying success with different outfits/makeup etc, but I think the best way to make yourself look older is by acting as if you're not worried about being ID'd at all, and you've done it all a thousand times before

ReputationRep:
    A good tip is to not look like you're trying to make yourself look older, ie don't plaster yourself with makeup or wear really revealing clothes. Just act naturally and be confident! I've got a pretty young looking face but it always works to my advantage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)

(Original post by chaoringmeister)
    If you can stand it wear 3/4 inch spiky heels. Also get made up in a sophisticated way, you best consult a pro to see what suits you best.

Also consider a corset, it'll cinch your waist in, so you will have a feminine curves, but also it makes you look taller, as your thinner. Initally you can take of 2-4 inches, but one can easily reach 6 inches reduction.
    sounds good to me. where can you get one from
    www.staylace.com
    www.fairygothmother.co.uk
    www.vollerscorset.co.uk
    www.axfords.co.uk

The latter two are the websites of two of the UK's largest (and last remaining), corset companies.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.