The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hillfields in Coventry.

'Hillfields was listed as one of the top 10 dangerous areas in the UK, and is also in the top 100 most deprived areas in England.'
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillfields

I have lived in Hillfields for 18 years, just moved away in September. I regularly see prostitutes and drug dealers openly offering their services to any passers by. I have had guns and knives pulled on me and been robbed several times when I was 11-14.
Reply 41
Boston Lincolnshire.
Reply 42
Sandpaper factory?? :wink: Haha sorry terrible joke :colondollar:
Reply 43
east london, brixton (looks like a dump), bradford, parts of liverpool, and tottenham/balham
Reply 44
i dont think hackney or tottenham are that bad

mosside salford brixton
stoke's not v nice
n neither are some other bits of london..
but mosside salford and brixton are not fun
According to Location, Location, Location in 2007, it is:

- Middlesborough
- Hull
- Newnham (E. London)
- Nottingham
- Merthyr Tydfil

Not sure I agree Notts belongs on there...only parts, not all for sure. Can't speak for the others, never been...
Reply 46
Moss Side in Machester is definitely the roughest place i have witnessed. My friend used to have fireworks fired at him by neighbourhood kids when on his way from uni.
Reply 47
Some parts of Newcastle? What are you on about? It's lovely here... *ignoring sounds of gunshot outside*
Reply 48
Eaton is rather feisty. One wouldn't want to scrap with some of those lads, gosh no.
I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned Bradford.

It's a bit of a cliche to add it to a list like this, but it is so bad you really do have to see it to believe it.

*Every* night, my girlfriend walks home or gets on the bus and she cannot avoid pervy old men leering at her. One guy even sat next to her on the town's free bus and started "pretending" to accidentally nudge her boobs with his elbow. And all the Asian chavs leer at white girls whilst respecting girls of their own kind.

You then get the people so bezzed out on various drugs that their eyes are so red and their face so gormless that they look like zombies. They are literally not even aware you are there!!! They'll just walk along, staring straight ahead, eyes half open, mouth open gormless-style, and they won't slow down if you are walking in the opposite direction because they literally cannot see you or they don't comprehend you anyway.

I should say that for most Bradfordians, cannabis is breakfast.

I have heard sirens at least twice a night *every night* I've been here since I came here in September 2009.

I personally have been mugged in Bradford.

Murders are part of the daily routine here - I even remember my halls' skips being searched by forensic teams for body parts in the wake of that murderer who was a Bradford Uni student a couple of years ago.

Unemployment is high.

Racial tensions are very high.

The council seem to be on an entirely different planet!

The police don't seem to give a ****.

There has even been the case of an Asian woman who was burned to death:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bradford-west-yorkshire-11548859

And another case of a man who was just casually walking along a street at night, apparently completely oblivious to the fact that he was also on fire.

There are loads of ****holes in Britain, but there can't be much worse than this.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 50
Yeah ^^ Bradford is incredibly bad.
Liverpool and Glasgow, didn't feel very secure walking around them.

Edinburgh has to be nicest city in the UK, never seen anything bad in the 16 years I've lived here.
Reply 52
Newcastle isn't rough, just deprived in some areas, i don't think Bykers that bad, am pretty sure the East End ain't half as bad as the West end, but we never really ventured that far over.
Reply 53
Don't know why people seem to think Newcastle is rough, there's definitely one or two dodgy parts but on the whole it's a very safe city and i've never witnessed anything that could be described as 'rough'. Middlesborough on the other hand, now that's a different story... There was a group on facebook during the summer riots called "you know it's bad when it's safer to be in Boro than anywhere else!" so that should give you some idea haha.
Original post by Organ

That's the understatement of the century!
Reply 55
Original post by Cannotbelieveit
Liverpool and Glasgow, didn't feel very secure walking around them.

Edinburgh has to be nicest city in the UK, never seen anything bad in the 16 years I've lived here.

You never been to any of the rougher areas then :p: I've seen plenty in time life here..

But there's gonna be rough places in most citie.
Original post by Organ

I never understand why people say Bradford is bad, I've been many times and it's been fine :confused:

Wakefield/Pontefract is quite rough although quite nice on the whole. Bolton, Salford and some areas of Liverpool and Manchester can be quite bad.

Although nothing compares to most of inner-city London.
Original post by Kerr Avon
Anywhere in Newcastle or Glasgow.

Isn't Newcastle supposed to be one of the friendliest places in the UK?
Reply 58
It always confuses me when people say that Newcastle is rough.

It has small rough areas like any other major city but as a whole it's much MUCH friendlier and safer than most other cities in the UK. Plus the nightlife is amazing and there's lots to see in the daytime too.

Those who have a distorted image of Newcastle have obviously never set foot outside of London, because it's common knowledge that the majority of tough areas in the country are in London..
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
I never understand why people say Bradford is bad, I've been many times and it's been fine :confused:

Wakefield/Pontefract is quite rough although quite nice on the whole. Bolton, Salford and some areas of Liverpool and Manchester can be quite bad.

Although nothing compares to most of inner-city London.

You really do have to know it to experience how bad it really is.

Latest