The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

For the sake of completeness:

There are 'Genes for depression' and as such predisposition to depression is inherited.
mipmapped
For the sake of completeness:

There are 'Genes for depression' and as such predisposition to depression is inherited.

Not always

Its part nuture, part nature

You cannot say its solely one or the other, as they ften interect
The only person in my family is a Great Aunt on my grandads side. No direct link as there would be as to why i too suffer depression. It could be partly to do with that, or partly to the bullying i endured during my early teens.

Its a mixture
Predisposition.
Reply 63
Razor blades cost a ****ing fortune...d'you think the NHS would give me some? if I went in especially unshaved :p:
SpiralArchitect
Goths must have a sense of humour for being what they are anyway.

and that is?
Reply 65
Carl
Razor blades cost a ****ing fortune...d'you think the NHS would give me some? if I went in especially unshaved :p:

Actually they're dirt cheap, but that's besides the point.
xXMessedUpXx
go **** yourself :mad:

1. it isn't funny
2. don't stereotype
3. self harm is a serious matter and it helps if people like you don't try and turn it into something not so

4. some self harmers have mental issues? what so the rest are just attention seekers? i think not, most self harm is in some way related to a mental issue
5. self harm can also be an adiction, as has been described in the DSM-etc
6. god only knows where the whole idea of giving self-harmers fresh blades came from, but it seems incredibly stupid

Furthermore, not all selfharmers use blades. So that singles out those who don't and what are they going to do then?
Oh and this is bloody ridiculous i cannot believe how backward they have got this. evidently there needs to be more actual understanding of self-injury. I mean naturaly i'm going to self harm with a health "proffesional" sat next to me. Its a very private thing and i seriously doubt other self-injueres would do this.

They also aren't allowed to get away with stitching self inflicted injuries without aneasethic (sp?) its a breach o SI's rights http://www.palace.net/~llama/selfinjury/brights.html

You're 19?!!?!?! WTF?
^ What do you mean "Wtf?" to someone being 19?!! Because they don't like stereotyping, and self harm, and have an opinion backed up by reasons? 1.If you dont like the opinion, say why, rather than going "You're 19?!!!?!? WTF?!", and 2.People of all ages self harm, it isnt to attention seek, and I don't think I like you very much at all.
burningwings
^ What do you mean "Wtf?" to someone being 19?!! Because they don't like stereotyping, and self harm, and have an opinion backed up by reasons? 1.If you dont like the opinion, say why, rather than going "You're 19?!!!?!? WTF?!", and 2.People of all ages self harm, it isnt to attention seek, and I don't think I like you very much at all.

First off, she starts with 'go **** yourself'. Great, i'm really going to take your opinion seriously now.

Secondly, i've mentioned more than once the thread title was humourous and I was simply making a joke out of a serious topic. Hence why the thread was posted in general discussion rather than chat. I would have thought after mentioning it being humourous a 19 year old may have got the point. Not in this case.

Thirdly, she is having a go at me for things which other people have said. I couldn't really give a damn about this but while i'm on a roll.

Fourthy, Yes, some self-harmers are attention seekers. I've met a few myself.

Fifly, Why am I depending myself for something which wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?

Mods. Can you please close this thread? It's getting stupid
SpiralArchitect
First off, she starts with 'go **** yourself'. Great, i'm really going to take your opinion seriously now.

Secondly, i've mentioned more than once the thread title was humourous and I was simply making a joke out of a serious topic. Hence why the thread was posted in general discussion rather than chat. I would have thought after mentioning it being humourous a 19 year old may have got the point. Not in this case.

Thirdly, she is having a go at me for things which other people have said. I couldn't really give a damn about this but while i'm on a roll.

Fourthy, Yes, some self-harmers are attention seekers. I've met a few myself.

Fifly, Why am I depending myself for something which wasn't supposed to be taken seriously?

Mods. Can you please close this thread? It's getting stupid

You're blatently insensitive and screwed up comments pissed me off. I have self harmed. Have done for nearly 8/9 years, and its something i've tried hard to overcome. Comments from people like you are not unheard of, i've endured that a lot in my life its something i expect. Oh and i wasn't aiming it all at you, hence why the points were split in two parts. Some attention seek but the way you talk you make out all do.

I do have a sense of humour, but hey when we're talking about something that's been a difficult part of my life, forgive me if i don'tcrack up laughing
Reply 70
does this mean i won't ever have to pay for razor blades to shave with again !!! result!
Reply 71
why do self harmers do what they do?! Some people are sayin for attention and i agree, because they are depressed, all the things that seem to make these people harm them self are the sort of things which cause depression.

Self harmers may not be directly looking for attention cause alot of them cover up their scars, but its not always attention from other people they want, any sort of outcome is a reward for them, whether they get attention from others or not it still gives them something.

We dont need to give them blades, and not just counselling but what would be good would be to admit them! so they can have constant care, you have got to have some mental problems to want to hurt yourself and they need to be treated like they have a mental illness, cause to me thats what they have.:hmmm:
spemily87
why do self harmers do what they do?! Some people are sayin for attention and i agree, because they are depressed, all the things that seem to make these people harm them self are the sort of things which cause depression.

Self harmers may not be directly looking for attention cause alot of them cover up their scars, but its not always attention from other people they want, any sort of outcome is a reward for them, whether they get attention from others or not it still gives them something.

We dont need to give them blades, and not just counselling but what would be good would be to admit them! so they can have constant care, you have got to have some mental problems to want to hurt yourself and they need to be treated like they have a mental illness, cause to me thats what they have.:hmmm:

Ok, nice sentiment there, but you're going down the wrong path. And from what i've been told, metal wards etc are not wonderful places. Also, thanks for the concern but i can function normally in day to day life. Depression etc can often be controlled with less severe options such as meds or counseeling. It is not necssassary to cart us all of to the loony bin! Oh and do you really think the NHS are going to want to commit all self harmers? I think not. The only people who are likely to be commited those sectioned by choice, or recommendation of their health providers, or those sectioned under the 72 hour law, those who are deemed a danger to themselves or others.
Reply 73
xXMessedUpXx
Ok, nice sentiment there, but you're going down the wrong path. And from what i've been told, metal wards etc are not wonderful places. Also, thanks for the concern but i can function normally in day to day life. Depression etc can often be controlled with less severe options such as meds or counseeling. It is not necssassary to cart us all of to the loony bin! Oh and do you really think the NHS are going to want to commit all self harmers? I think not. The only people who are likely to be commited those sectioned by choice, or recommendation of their health providers, or those sectioned under the 72 hour law, those who are deemed a danger to themselves or others.

Yea i defo get what your saying their and i no about all the sectioned stuff, but i do think that they do have mental problems to want to hurt themselves, i dont mean full on crazy though.:p:
But what i said about bein sectioned, i didnt mean just to some random "loony bin" lol just well you know like they have for drug abusers and achoholics that sort of thing, get them away for a while to really try and sort out the problem instead of just councilling sessions, in the same environment but surley it would be better to take them out of the environment they are in that is causing them to self harm.
spemily87
Yea i defo get what your saying their and i no about all the sectioned stuff, but i do think that they do have mental problems to want to hurt themselves, i dont mean full on crazy though.:p:
But what i said about bein sectioned, i didnt mean just to some random "loony bin" lol just well you know like they have for drug abusers and achoholics that sort of thing, get them away for a while to really try and sort out the problem instead of just councilling sessions, in the same environment but surley it would be better to take them out of the environment they are in that is causing them to self harm.

Perhaps, but isolation isn't always the best tratment. Although self-injury to some can become an addiction of sorts, if that desperate many SI's would use wahte ver they could find-so it would have to be a secure unit. And you're right in that it is a type of mental illness, but its quite often a symptom of other illnesses such as depression etc, and those are the things that need dealing with before you try and deal with the SI. People need to be able to develop better coping solutions, and i'm not sure going "cold turkey" per say wouldbe the most successful way of doing it. Though any way of providing treatment (minus the loony idea of giving out razor blades) would be a good one.
Reply 75
xXMessedUpXx
Perhaps, but isolation isn't always the best tratment. Although self-injury to some can become an addiction of sorts, if that desperate many SI's would use wahte ver they could find-so it would have to be a secure unit. And you're right in that it is a type of mental illness, but its quite often a symptom of other illnesses such as depression etc, and those are the things that need dealing with before you try and deal with the SI. People need to be able to develop better coping solutions, and i'm not sure going "cold turkey" per say wouldbe the most successful way of doing it. Though any way of providing treatment (minus the loony idea of giving out razor blades) would be a good one.

I dont mean total isolation, just away from their normal environment, and i kinda do think cold turkey would be best, thats just my opinion. I think yea its defo something thats related to other stuff i.e. symptom of depression which is what needs to be looked at, they need to find out whats causing them to do the damage, but also like you said develop better coping systems.:smile:
Reply 76
i think we should give them razors as they almost definately wont use them to harm other people
Reply 77
xXMessedUpXx

You don't have to be 'sectioned'. You can admit yourself voluntarily.

Aside: Attention is a basic human need imho.

Latest