The Student Room Group

The Guardian Newspaper does it again...tut tut

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by abc:)
Considering The Guardian has a reputation for good high quality journalism, whether or not you agree with its political standing, to call it immature child-like journalism is quite a strong comment when there are papers like The Sun and The Daily Mail in existence.
Also, it's just a bit of fun, I laughed at some of the comments personally. You should be able to take the piss once in a while without it being labeled as 'exploitation'.

Making jokes about Iraqis being killed is hardly hilarious, is it? And I imagine that's what most of the comments were about. If I'm wrong, do please correct me. So far, I don't know enough about the Iraq war to feel one way about it or the other, but this constant hounding of Blair as if he's some kind of Hitler is getting a bit tiresome.
Original post by Studentrepreneur
submit funny captions to it.

What a good idea!

I'll go with

I really like babies, but I don't think I could eat this one so soon after breakfast.

or

Don't worry, son, you can trust me. I'll never let the press intrude into your privacy.
Hahaha, that was fantastic
Original post by sam-dent
Say that then instead of trying to sound posh by using technical words that made you sound like a gash!

Posh? Technical words? What on Earth are you waffling on about?
Reply 24
Like most politicians Tony Blair prefers, understandably, to keep his family out of the limelight.

Unusually he has broken with this in order to donate a Father & Baby photograph to the Royal Academy of Arts New Art Exhibition. Every donated item will be sold to raise funds for the Royal Academy Schools. It is a beautiful photograph of the former prime minister with his newborn son Leo in 2000. Many, if not most of us can identify with it.

Now take a look at The Guardian's website:

Apparently exploitation of a photograph like this of our former Prime minister and his new born son is fair game amongst the ultra lefties?

Immature, child-like journalism.

Apparently, you've never been to Iraq or Afghanistan, but probably should head over there to see what Blair's handiwork looks like close up.
Reply 25
I've never understood why the guardian is held up in such high regard.

It's just as sensationalist as the daily mail quite often, its writers and readers are smug and smarmy, who look down on those who disagree with them as lesser beings and consider them either stupid, racist or mean.
Reply 26
could someone explain to me what people didn't understand?
Reply 27
Original post by Rant
Apparently, you've never been to Iraq or Afghanistan, but probably should head over there to see what Blair's handiwork looks like close up.

How did those places look beforehand, though?
Reply 28
The Gruniad is on par with the Daily Mail in terms of it's obvious bias.

At least the BBC does well to cover up their bias :ahee:
Reply 29
Original post by najinaji
How did those places look beforehand, though?

Sunny, with no chance of Western missiles reducing hospitals to rubble.
Original post by Rant

I know that Iraq no longer has an extremely dangerous tyrant in control of some of the richest oil reserves in the world.

I know that Osama Bin Laden and Al Quaeda declared war on the West and have been getting slaughtered on their home turf ever since.
Reply 31
and in response to the OP, I am not a huge fan of the Guardian, but wouldn't have singled this story out as especially heinous - politicians, Blair especially, are pretty fair game for newspaper satire, and this applies to all papers. Same tactics, different targets. It might not be all that tasteful, but it's main crime, I think, is just not being that funny. I always cringe and The Times' political cartoons because they are so cruel, but can't help finding them very funny. Politics is a tough world, and you have to have a thick skin. This isn't the worst Blair has been subjected to. Not very nice, but neither is politics.
Original post by Sui-Kinxtar_kitty
Is the baby on the floor??!! :O

Not sure what your point is... :confused:
Reply 33
Original post by Rant
Sunny, with no chance of Western missiles reducing hospitals to rubble.

So you're saying that those areas were better off before the West got involved...?
Reply 34
I know that Iraq no longer has an extremely dangerous tyrant in control of some of the richest oil reserves in the world.

I know that Osama Bin Laden and Al Quaeda declared war on the West and have been getting slaughtered on their home turf ever since.

Good grief. You're worryingly right wing, aren't you?

In place of a tyrant you have... a puppet tyrant owned by the West. So you think that the West should go into any country with oil reserves and secure them? Slaughter the people in the process?

As for Osama Bin Laden... wasn't he found in Pakistan? Would you suggest reducing that country to rubble too?
Reply 35
Original post by najinaji
So you're saying that those areas were better off before the West got involved...?

Yes. That is what I am saying.

The world was better off before the "War on Terror" tbh.
Papers with a political opinion in being offensive morons shocker.

Honestly, if I had a quid for every time the Guardian/Daily Mail/any paper with a strong political opinion did something like this, I'd be one of the richest men alive.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
It's not really worth complaining about... but it's not very funny, either.

Seems like a cheap imitation of The Economist's caption competitions, which tend to be hilarious.
Original post by Rant
Good grief. You're worryingly right wing, aren't you?

In place of a tyrant you have... a puppet tyrant owned by the West. So you think that the West should go into any country with oil reserves and secure them? Slaughter the people in the process?

As for Osama Bin Laden... wasn't he found in Pakistan? Would you suggest reducing that country to rubble too?

Take a look at Saddam's human rights record coupled with the fact he was becoming one of the richest men in the middle east and an incentive to use nuclear weapons.

He was a dangerous man and it's a good job he was deposed now rather than later.

I believe I have the same point of view on this as "lefty" Christopher Hitchens.
I kind of like the Guardian, but I hate the attitude that many people seem to have that if you don't read it you're some kind of fascist monster.
Also, putting the Guardian on facebook... it couldn't be more studenty if it tried.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending