The Student Room Group

Medicine 2012 hopeful entrants II

Scroll to see replies

Original post by laurie:)
but like, to make ATP in the presence of oxygen, chemiosmosis happens doesnt it?

Yeah, chemiosmosis is part of oxidative phosphorylation. :s-smilie: It's horribly confusing! :zomg:

Though chemiosmosis also takes place in chloroplasts during photosynthesis, which doesn't require oxygen. So it can happen independently to oxidative phosphorylation (in this case it's photo-phosphorylation).

I think chemiosmosis is just referring to the generation of ATP using ATP--synthase and movement of H+ ions across a membrane.

Ox phos is just chemiosmosis in the presence of oxygen. Which is essentially what you were asking in the first place! :rofl:
Original post by Joseppea
Yeah, chemiosmosis is part of oxidative phosphorylation. :s-smilie: It's horribly confusing! :zomg:

Though chemiosmosis also takes place in chloroplasts during photosynthesis, which doesn't require oxygen. So it can happen independently to oxidative phosphorylation (in this case it's photo-phosphorylation).

I think chemiosmosis is just referring to the generation of ATP using ATP--synthase and movement of H+ ions across a membrane.

Ox phos is just chemiosmosis in the presence of oxygen. Which is essentially what you were asking in the first place! :rofl:

thanks for clearing that up, i thought i had missed something when i was revising it today and thought "arent they the same thing?"

you ready for the exam?
thanks for clearing that up, i thought i had missed something when i was revising it today and thought "arent they the same thing?"

you ready for the exam?

You might wanna ask your teacher beforehand to make sure I haven't just told you a load of rubbish! :rofl:

I spent ages thinking they were the same thing, still do sometimes...because they sort of are - aren't they? :lolwut:

Feeling pretty ready...I've sort of only been revising biology because that's the subject I most need to focus on (I got a B last year so really need to bump it up this year!) - I can't think of anything I properly don't understand, but OCR always comes up with something that is you couldn't possibly prepare for so all my common sense goes out the window by that stage.

You? :smile:
You might wanna ask your teacher beforehand to make sure I haven't just told you a load of rubbish! :rofl:

I spent ages thinking they were the same thing, still do sometimes...because they sort of are - aren't they? :lolwut:

Feeling pretty ready...I've sort of only been revising biology because that's the subject I most need to focus on (I got a B last year so really need to bump it up this year!) - I can't think of anything I properly don't understand, but OCR always comes up with something that is you couldn't possibly prepare for so all my common sense goes out the window by that stage.

You? :smile:

OCR exams are basically all application, rather than regurgitation, which takes a bit of getting used to. i finished my second set of notes today so am going to do some past papers and maybe go through the questions in the book, but im still not very confident about it - ive just been revising biology cause revising psych makes me want to kill myself.
Reply 3124
whats the difference between chemiosmosis and oxidate phosphorylation, except for the fact that oxygen accepts electrons at the end of it?

Kay basically, chemiosmosis drives oxidative phosphorylation. So, chemiosmosis is the process that uses energy of movement of protons to phosphorylate ADP to ATP. As it involves an ETC, it is called oxidative phosphorylation. Thats how it was explained to me, not sure if it helps :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
OCR exams are basically all application, rather than regurgitation, which takes a bit of getting used to. i finished my second set of notes today so am going to do some past papers and maybe go through the questions in the book, but im still not very confident about it - ive just been revising biology cause revising psych makes me want to kill myself.

Replace 'pysch' with 'physics' and you've got my situation too, despite the fact that my physics exam is before my biology one. :rofl:

The questions in the book are quite helpful...not so much the actual exam ones because they are so dull once you get through the first half of them - especially the plant section! :mad:
Replace 'pysch' with 'physics' and you've got my situation too, despite the fact that my physics exam is before my biology one. :rofl:

The questions in the book are quite helpful...not so much the actual exam ones because they are so dull once you get through the first half of them - especially the plant section! :mad:

the plant section is horrendously boring. but ive found the hardest things to revise are the control of the heart rhythm because its just so random and hard to understand in one page, and the evidence for chemiosmosis because it is really boring.

i hate how some of the answers for the questions are on the exam cafe cd which my teachers took away!
Original post by apple17
Nah, I am happy that it is closer to the end. Looking forward to ending it. :smile:
but thanks for the emoticon suggestions oxonian. :tongue:

Heheh that's a fair point! You're never going to stop calling me that are you :wink:

I second this sentiment :K:
Reply 3128
Original post by manic_fuzz
Heheh that's a fair point! You're never going to stop calling me that are you :wink:

Nope oxnonian. :lol:
Hows are exams going

theres far too much to learn and write in far too little time :redface:
Original post by apple17
Nope oxnonian. :lol:
Hows are exams going

Heheh, I've only done one! But I've got C4 Maths tomorrow... ahh :eek3:

theres far too much to learn and write in far too little time :redface:

:yep: And case studies are just... just... i can't possibly describe how bad they are :rofl:
Reply 3131
Heheh, I've only done one! But I've got C4 Maths tomorrow... ahh :eek3:

:yep: And case studies are just... just... i can't possibly describe how bad they are :rofl:

Ohh, good luck. Sure, u will ace them anyways. :biggrin:
Original post by apple17
Ohh, good luck. Sure, u will ace them anyways. :biggrin:

Thankyou, and hopefully! :awesome:

I've also got the first 3 hours of a chemistry individual investigation tomorrow... have no idea what I'm doing so I plan to just sit there doing titrations and hoping something happens :colondollar:

hate chemistry
Reply 3133
Thankyou, and hopefully! :awesome:

I've also got the first 3 hours of a chemistry individual investigation tomorrow... have no idea what I'm doing so I plan to just sit there doing titrations and hoping something happens :colondollar:

hate chemistry

No probs. :colonhash:
Aww, i can understand. i usually make up my chem data :colondollar: cuz half the labs are just fail. :facepalm:
Original post by apple17
No probs. :colonhash:
Aww, i can understand. i usually make up my chem data :colondollar: cuz half the labs are just fail. :facepalm:

That sounds like what I'll probably have to do. Although 18 hours of pointless practical just for a bit of coursework it no doubt going to slowly kill me :rolleyes:
Reply 3135
Isn't oxidative blah blah just the production of ATP? :colondollar:
Reply 3136
I feel so weird being the only one here who hasn't started exams yet :colondollar: My first exam is tomorrow though :eek: :sad: Gonna screw up
Reply 3137
That sounds like what I'll probably have to do. Although 18 hours of pointless practical just for a bit of coursework it no doubt going to slowly kill me :rolleyes:

Aww, poor you. Good luck. :tongue:
I have 45 hours in IB. :rolleyes:
Reply 3138
Original post by Revent
I feel so weird being the only one here who hasn't started exams yet :colondollar: My first exam is tomorrow though :eek: :sad: Gonna screw up

:naughty:
GOOD LUCK! :biggrin:. what course is it for?
Reply 3139
Original post by apple17
:naughty:
GOOD LUCK! :biggrin:. what course is it for?

It was S2 :eek: (Maths) I THINK it went alright :smile: Although I was aiming for 100% and I think I screwed that up a bit. :s:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending