Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Me & some of my mates have just started a band so ive decided to buy a new amp for when we start gigging and i was just wondering if anyone knows how many watts i need in my new amp to be heard over the drums. I think it was 50w but i aint so sure. thanks in advance for any replies. Oh and sorry if this is in the wrong place

ReputationRep:
    We played with our drummer for the first time just after Christmas. We had a 30, didn't have it all the way up, and worked ok for practising. Didn't have much room for adjustability though. I thought the rule was 60W, but I may be wrong, I know very little.

Either hope someone on here gigs with a band (I'm sure there's some one) or try the discussion boards on Ultimate Guitar.

ReputationRep:
    Umm, what music are you playing? - are the drums a backing or more 'upfront'? - the sound you're going for will definitely make a difference.

I'd say 50 would be ok for what you want...although again, it depends on what you're playing.

ReputationRep:
    Depends where you are playing also. 50W is alright for small gigs but anything bigger and you'll need a more powerful amp or to be mic'd up through the PA.

ReputationRep:
    Erm.. we're mainly playing rock/metal/emo so its gonna be kinda varied, hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Well I've used a 50W Marshall combo in small bars and that is plenty loud enough. Bear in mind that a valve amp will be louder than a solid-state (but more expensive and bloody heavy).

ReputationRep:
    Yeah a 1x12 50W tube amp (valve?) will be plenty, for just about any normal gig. You're just starting so it's fine for houses, small pubs/clubs. Anyting bigger will have their own P.A. so you can just mic it. With tube amps, the louder you turn them up, the better they sound, unlike most solid-states.

I had a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and it was plenty loud and sounded great. It was a little heavy. It was a 1x12 40W (I think) and it weighed as much as my 2x12 solid-state Peavey. Tubes get expensive too.

If you're starting out, a 70W+ solid-state should be good, light and cheap.

ReputationRep:
    ahh ok thanks for the advice, how much should i expect to pay for one?

ReputationRep:
    Have a look on some music equipment websites for prices or go into a shop and play around and see which one sounds good to you.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.