The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Reference frame
Thank you, brothers. Brother tmg's english there is much better than the english he uses on tsr. Well written :yes:

I just have one problem. Your whole justification is based on another verse. How do we know for sure that in the other verse it didnt mean backone as well? What if both the verses were wrong instead of both being right?

And why did the translators of sahih international use backbone instead of loins? :hmmm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The argument is very simple:

The word linguistically can mean loins.

If we look at its usage elsewhere in the Qur'an - the agreed understanding is that it means loins.

This is going to be supplemented by various a hadeeth in the future that detail sulb mean a loin as well.

Here I'm doing a linguistic analysis. Then using the rules of Usool at-Tafseer to understand its usage in the Qur'an supplemented by its usage in the Sunnah.

Whenever reproduction is discussed it refers to the loins. As lanes lexicon quotes the Phrase of the Arabs "These are the sons of their loins" [Paraphrasing from memory - on the bus atm]
(edited 9 years ago)
Is it haraam to take out student loans? Any other alternatives ...
Original post by Mary562
Is it haraam to take out student loans? Any other alternatives ...

There is a difference of opinion and stuff

Some say halal, some say haraam. Consult some scholar or somethin and make your own decision, sista

Alternative is that you ask your dad to sell some piece of land so you can afford uni without loans.. Thats what anka did :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Any other views? ...
Original post by Bombay-Tough-Guy
ok so then muhammed was the one that decreed all muslims have to get circumcisied but also then said they are not to get involved in slavery?

I am sure I read somewhere that all Muslims do not need circumcising, for example converts. I might be wrong.
What is the Islamic view on onion and garlic? Whilst Muhammad never forbid the eating of them, he seemed to frown upon the eating of them. For example

Sunan Abi Dawud 3827
Narrated Mu'awiyah ibn Qurrah:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) forbade these two plants (i.e. garlic and onions), and he said: He who eats them should not come near our mosque. If it is necessary to eat them, make them dead by cooking, that is, onions and garlic.

Sahih al-Bukhari 5452
Narrated Jabir bin `Abdullah:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Whoever has eaten garlic or onion should keep away from us (or should keep away from our mosque).'

Sahih Muslim 563
Jabir reported:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) forbade eating of onions and leek. When we were overpowered by a desire (to eat) we ate them. Upon this he (the Holy Prophet) said: He who eats of this offensive plant must not approach our mosque, for the angels are harmed by the same things as men.

Now I can't think of any reasons where it would be necessary to eat onion and garlic and therefore, considering the consequences it can have such as preventing you from going Mosque and harming any angels around you. So, are onions and garlic best avoided?
Original post by The Epicurean
What is the Islamic view on onion and garlic? Whilst Muhammad never forbid the eating of them, he seemed to frown upon the eating of them. For example

Sunan Abi Dawud 3827
Narrated Mu'awiyah ibn Qurrah:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) forbade these two plants (i.e. garlic and onions), and he said: He who eats them should not come near our mosque. If it is necessary to eat them, make them dead by cooking, that is, onions and garlic.

Sahih al-Bukhari 5452
Narrated Jabir bin `Abdullah:
The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "Whoever has eaten garlic or onion should keep away from us (or should keep away from our mosque).'

Sahih Muslim 563
Jabir reported:
The Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) forbade eating of onions and leek. When we were overpowered by a desire (to eat) we ate them. Upon this he (the Holy Prophet) said: He who eats of this offensive plant must not approach our mosque, for the angels are harmed by the same things as men.

Now I can't think of any reasons where it would be necessary to eat onion and garlic and therefore, considering the consequences it can have such as preventing you from going Mosque and harming any angels around you. So, are onions and garlic best avoided?

It is not forbidding to eat them, but the frowning upon is eating them and smelling of them and going with the foul smell to the mosque.
You can eat them but best brush your teeth before going to the mosque.
Original post by Al-farhan
It is not forbidding to eat them, but the frowning upon is eating them and smelling of them and going with the foul smell to the mosque.
You can eat them but best brush your teeth before going to the mosque.

I know it isn't forbidden, as I stated in my post. But the first hadith states what must be done if it is necessary to eat them. But I cannot think of a circumstance where it would be necessary to eat them. Plus considering the angles find the smell off-putting, it would surely seem best to avoid them?
Original post by The Epicurean
I know it isn't forbidden, as I stated in my post. But the first hadith states what must be done if it is necessary to eat them. But I cannot think of a circumstance where it would be necessary to eat them. Plus considering the angles find the smell off-putting, it would surely seem best to avoid them?

ِI would say it is a personal judgment to completely stop or continue eating onion and garlic.
Religiously it is termed makroh meaning you can eat it but it is disliked at times going to the mosque.
In fact there are a few hadiths stating permissibility of eating garlic with the condition still to not attend congregation smelling of the garlic:
كل الثوم , فلولا أن الملك يأتيني لأكلته
Oh Ali, eat garlic, and I would eat it if not for the constant company of the angel(s)

Other scholars also say that garlic and onions can be eaten and one can still attend congregation if the smells are masked eg through cooking, chewing gum...etc

Also if one is using them as medication then has to attend congregation smelling of said foods then he has an excuse/reason.

Summery: nothing in particular says you shouldn't eat/best not to eat said foods all together.
Original post by dozyrosie
I am sure I read somewhere that all Muslims do not need circumcising, for example converts. I might be wrong.

the accurate position is that circumcision is not islamic, it was simply semetic practice at the time ( and even before islam) which mohammed and his intial followers practiced as a matter of course ( seeing as he was a semite) just like growing a beard, clothing that the arabs wore. so on that basis most muslims circumcise their children to mimick etic traditions mohammed adopted.
Original post by Reformed
the accurate position is that circumcision is not islamic, it was simply semetic practice at the time ( and even before islam) which mohammed and his intial followers practiced as a matter of course ( seeing as he was a semite) just like growing a beard, clothing that the arabs wore. so on that basis most muslims circumcise their children to mimick etic traditions mohammed adopted.

Is it Islamic and compulsory for males.
Original post by IdeasForLife

it is not prescribed by the quran andso in some muslim eyes then not islamic, simply culutre of mohammeds time. it is deemed by some muslims to be sunnah on the baiss of dictation of some scholars. but then some muslims would say was quran created so islam could be dictated by scholars
it is not prescribed by the quran andso in some muslim eyes then not islamic, simply culutre of mohammeds time. it is deemed by some muslims to be sunnah on the baiss of dictation of some scholars. but then some muslims would say was quran created so islam could be dictated by scholars

It is islamic. Muslims take things from both Qur'an and hadith. This isn't really something up for debate.
It is islamic. Muslims take things from both Qur'an and hadith. This isn't really something up for debate.

No
Not all muslim beleive in the validity of hadith to proclaim islamic dictats for a start. the quran was the only text that had islamic authority .
this is not a thread for debate, if you want me to explain it to you further, create a separate thread.
No
Not all muslim beleive in the validity of hadith to proclaim islamic dictats for a start. the quran was the only text that had islamic authority .
this is not a thread for debate, if you want me to explain it to you further, create a separate thread.

It is. I don't care if they don't, I don't hold very much validity for quranists anyhow. If you wish to spread false information on this thread then yes expect to be corrected. No it's fine I've pretty much seen the "quality" of your islamic knowledge around the forum.

As far as I know, there is a difference of opinion on this issue. In the Maliki madhab male circumcision is just considered a Sunnah. Their argument is that all of the ahadith that allude to it being wajib are actually weak. They further support their argument with the hadith narrated by both Bukhari and Muslim that says circumcision is one of acts of fitrah, but since the hadith doesn't contain any command, it is merely recommended. This was also argued by the likes of Imam al-Shawkani.
Original post by FreedomCostsTax
As far as I know, there is a difference of opinion on this issue. In the Maliki madhab male circumcision is just considered a Sunnah. Their argument is that all of the ahadith that allude to it being wajib are actually weak. They further support their argument with the hadith narrated by both Bukhari and Muslim that says circumcision is one of acts of fitrah, but since the hadith doesn't contain any command, it is merely recommended. This was also argued by the likes of Imam al-Shawkani.

Cool thanks, I didn't know about the maliki :yy:
Cool thanks, I didn't know about the maliki :yy:

Which school do you/your parents follow bro

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is really interesting, I have never heard it expressed that way before, and it seems very reasonable that it is cultural, from what you have said. Is it clear that there is no compunction to be circumcised in the Quaran?

Latest

Trending

Trending