The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

You can get a maintainance grant of upto £3250 from student finance (depending on your household income) also, depending on which university you want to go to, try finding out about the scholarships an bursaries provided if you are eligible for any of those.
Also check out this site:
http://muslimstudentacademy.org.uk/
You can apply for a scholarship of £3000
Im getting the mainainance grant, HOPING to get a scholarhip of £3000 from my university, and then inshaAllah going to try to apply for the scholarship from that website (not really looked into the website criteria PROPERLY yet)

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 981
Original post by Perseveranze
I got a maintance loan (which you don't have to give back) and I used that to pay off tuition fees mainly. So it wasn't too bad. Can't you do the same?

You should also try and find out more about this, maybe the government might make some changes?

I'll try asking some people about foreign education and any other good alternatives.

I can get a student loan but it we wont be enough to get pay for the tuition fees and it is just too much.
Reply 982
What happens to people who leave the religion?
Original post by gilkesk
do you find sikhism to be a better religion than islam?

Yes, but that doesn't mean that I think that Islam is 'bad' per say.
Original post by Reform
Asalamu Alaykum,

how did you go about getting the loan?

the person meant a maintenance grant - a grant is a sum of money you get which you are not required to pay back

All those who register with Student Finance England are automatically assessed for maintenance grant, which depends on your household income

I did the same when I was at university, I used the grant I was given to pay my tuition fees
Original post by amerzeb
What are the core beliefs of wahabism? how did it come about?

The term 'Wahabism' was coined up by the British early in the 1920s and 30s when the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was about to be form. Abdul Aziz ibn Saud (the founder of KSA) sought the help of the fierce and powerful Bedouin tribesman to take over Arabia. These tribesman practiced an ultra conservative form of Sunni Islam which was started back in the 16th century by Islamic scholar, Sheikh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab (ra). Ibn Saud promised them that he would rule by their form of Islam as long as he and his heirs ruled the land. So they agreed, and together, ibn Saud and the tribesman took over Arabia. However, soon ibn Saud invited the West (America and Britain) into the country to help develop it and what not, and the tribesman where furious at this as they were violently anti-western, and so they Brits called them Wahabis.

Read up on your history, only by knowing our history, can we know where we are going.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 986
Original post by Prokaryotic_crap

The term 'Wahabism' was coined up by the British early in the 1920s and 30s when the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia was about to be form. Abdul Aziz ibn Saud (the founder of KSA) sought the help of the fierce and powerful Bedouin tribesman to take over Arabia. These tribesman practiced an ultra conservative form of Sunni Islam which started back in the 16th century Islamic scholar, Sheikh Muhammad ibn Abdul Wahab (ra). Ibn Saud promised them that he would rule by their form of Islam as long as he and his heirs rule the land. So they agreed, and together, ibn Saud and the tribesman took over Arabia. However, soon ibn Saud invited the West (America and Britain) into the country to help develop it and what not, and the tribesman where furious at this as they were violently anti-western, and so they Brits called the Wahabis.

Read up on your history, only by knowing our history, can we know where we are going.

so what made them ultra conservative
Reply 987
the person meant a maintenance grant - a grant is a sum of money you get which you are not required to pay back

All those who register with Student Finance England are automatically assessed for maintenance grant, which depends on your household income

I did the same when I was at university, I used the grant I was given to pay my tuition fees

Ah, alright that makes sense. JazakAllah Khairun.

In that case though, I guess it wouldn't be applicable to me since I have to pay 9,000 pound.

Thanks again for your help.
Original post by amerzeb
so what made them ultra conservative

certain practices, like more emphasis on sticking to the Qur'an and Sunnah, therefore are more violent to other sects especially the Shia sect. Also, like I said they were violently anti-western so they generally dislike western inventions, in fact, rumor has it that some even tried to say that telephones were haram, when it first came out. Also, they insisted on sticking to Sharia law or as much of it as possible (since western influence on the now king Ibn Saud made it impossible for a pure Islamic state where the law was entirely based on the Qur'an and Sunnah). To be honest, they are only seen as ultra conservative when compared to other Muslim countries since no Muslim country bases its laws on the Qur'an except KSA.
Reply 989
certain practices, like more emphasis on sticking to the Qur'an and Sunnah, therefore are more violent to other sects especially the Shia sect. Also, like I said they were violently anti-western so they generally dislike western inventions, in fact, rumor has it that some even tried to say that telephones were haram, when it first came out. Also, they insisted on sticking to Sharia law or as much of it as possible (since western influence on the now king Ibn Saud made it impossible for a pure Islamic state where the law was entirely based on the Qur'an and Sunnah). To be honest, they are only seen as ultra conservative when compared to other Muslim countries since no Muslim country bases its laws on the Qur'an except KSA.

Isnt sticking to the Quran and Sunnah a good thing?
Reply 990

Are you saying Saudi are doing stuff under shariah law? Because they're really not doing it properly.

Being violent goes against the sunnah.
Original post by amerzeb
Isnt sticking to the Quran and Sunnah a good thing?

yes
Original post by Tpos
Are you saying Saudi are doing stuff under shariah law?

No, far from it..

Original post by Tpos
Being violent goes against the sunnah.

yes
for anyone interested in the term "wahabi" and the formation of Saudi Arabia..

I've seen some Saudis and several Sunnis on this thread, so I'll just ask this (hopefully inoffensive) question. I have nothing against Sunnis, just to clarify; I come from a majority Sunni community, it's with Saudi that I have an issue.

Why are Wahabbis (or whatever term you prefer), particularly the ones who control most of the Saudi Arabian government, so against Shi'as?

I understand the religious differences issue, but that doesn't mean you go around killing people, does it? (I'd quote Qur'anic verses, but I'm assuming you're familiar with them :P) I've been looking for a 'sensible' answer, but the most I've gotten is "Saudi is stupid." Not exactly satisfactory. So, some enlightenment from someone more familiar with the Saudi system would be appreciated.
Reply 995
I know the above question might cause some controversy, so I'll stick this in here, please no debates.
Original post by KythingToWrite
I've seen some Saudis and several Sunnis on this thread, so I'll just ask this (hopefully inoffensive) question. I have nothing against Sunnis, just to clarify; I come from a majority Sunni community, it's with Saudi that I have an issue.

Why are Wahabbis (or whatever term you prefer), particularly the ones who control most of the Saudi Arabian government, so against Shi'as?

I understand the religious differences issue, but that doesn't mean you go around killing people, does it? (I'd quote Qur'anic verses, but I'm assuming you're familiar with them :P) I've been looking for a 'sensible' answer, but the most I've gotten is "Saudi is stupid." Not exactly satisfactory. So, some enlightenment from someone more familiar with the Saudi system would be appreciated.

Presumably because of Iran and potential secession. Shi'as live where the oil is in Saudi and if they seceded Iran they'd quickly become an ally of Iran and Saudi doesn't want that. Same reason they intervened in Bahrain.

Apart from the above, i'd say it would be an understatement to claim most people in the Muslim world dislike (or have unfavorable views) on Shia. And this is mainly due to the fact that some of them;

1. Curse Sahaba's (Anyone who studies the life of the Sahaba would be fairly annoyed/offended by the things some Shia say)

2. Worship Shrines/commit shirk. (Biggest sin in Islam)

Put the above with a fairly oppressive government that is strictly against (number 2 in particular), you can see why they're so against Shia. Also, a lot of the tension rises from the Saudi/Iran relations, such as Saudi supporting Iraq against Iranians in the 1980 war, then Iran having close relations to Hezbollah and showing support to the Assad regime etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 998

Because Wahabbis/Salafis are sectarian minded people.
Original post by Perseveranze
Apart from the above, i'd say it would be an understatement to claim most people in the Muslim world dislike (or have unfavorable views) on Shia.

Unfavourable views of their practices maybe, 'dislike' no.

Latest

Trending

Trending