The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Cheers for your responses! :smile:

Got another question: what do you all think of Ahmadiyya Muslims?

Original post by GabGirl
Has the problem actually happened with eskimos. I meen have the eskimos ever been muslim and had no contact with outside world during ramamdan.

No, because eskimos live so far away from recognisable civilisation that they probably have no concept of what Islam even is. When eskimos were "discovered" by the British in 1880, they (the eskimos) couldn't believe that there were other people on the earth. They thought they were the only people in the whole world. It's weird when you think about it lol :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 101
Original post by SaintSoldier

Got another question: what do you all think of Amaidiyya Muslims?

No, because eskimos live so far away from recognisable civilisation that they probably have no concept of what Islam even is. When eskimos were "discovered" by the British in 1880, they (the eskimos) couldn't believe that there were other people on the earth. They thought they were the only people in the whole world. It's weird when you think about it lol :rolleyes:

Yeh it is . I kind of thought it had never happened ....

Do you mean ahmadiyya muslims ?? I've hear a bit about them ... I'm quite curious to see what others say.
Original post by GabGirl
Do you mean ahmadiyya muslims ?? I've hear a bit about them ... I'm quite curious to see what others say.

Yes, I mean what you said :smile:

(I could sort of "hear" the word in my head, but I couldn't remember how it was spelt :tongue:)
Reply 103

They are a group founded in the 1800s by Mirza Ghulam Ahmad. He claimed he was a the Messiah, the Mahdi and the figure every religion was waiting for (if they were), and then later also a Prophet. But he is considered as a liar and the majority of Muslims do not recognise him in what he says.

Just to point out, there will be no Prophet after Prophet Muhammad (saw), so this is one of the biggest things against Islam he claimed. Also, the Mahdi that we believe in is separate from Prophet Jesus (as), whereas he said he was both. Also, from the sayings of the Prophet (saw), we know that there will be people who will falsely claim to be the Mahdi, whereas the Mahdi himself will actually deny he is at first, until the people insist.
This is sort of an inter faith question (and I don't expect you to know the history behind it) but....

What is the Islamic perspective on Sikhs carrying the Kirpan? Can Sikhs carry it in Muslim countries? Do you think we should be able to carry it?
Reply 105
Original post by shady_123
"Nahjolbalaghe" isn't authentic. I suggest reading/watching a reliable biography on him instead.

biography? no thanks. I don't know what you meant by saying "Nahjolbalaghe isn't authentic" but it makes no difference for me because I have some purposes of reading it and I don't need his biography. I still hope some one could help me because I couldn't find it myself.
(edited 12 years ago)
This is sort of an inter faith question (and I don't expect you to know the history behind it) but....

What is the Islamic perspective on Sikhs carrying the Kirpan? Can Sikhs carry it in Muslim countries? Do you think we should be able to carry it?

This is an awkward question - why would Islam have a unique perspective on it?
Original post by Person1001
This is an awkward question - why would Islam have a unique perspective on it?

Well I'm Sikh so it's not awkward for me :colondollar:

Well tbh I don't know if Islam has a particular "view" on it, that's why I asked!

Basically my question is, is Islam for or against an armed society, that can protect itself if need be?
Reply 108
well there are mixed views about them. many say that they are not muslims because they believe that mirza gulam ahmed was a devine refromer, the messiah, the mahdi. and that the prophet muhammad (pbuh) was not the final messenger (i think).
Well I'm Sikh so it's not awkward for me :colondollar:

Well tbh I don't know if Islam has a particular "view" on it, that's why I asked!

Basically my question is, is Islam for or against an armed society, that can protect itself if need be?

I don't think Islam has a particular view on the religious item itself however every individual has the right to protect themselves against harm in Islam.
I don't think Islam has a particular view on the religious item itself however every individual has the right to protect themselves against harm in Islam.

Well every religion would be pro-defence, but does Islam think it's OTT?

My view is that it was essential at the time. Sikhism would have died out long ago if the Sikhs weren't turned from peasant farmers into fully armed warriors (the trained before that when times were peaceful, but had to step it up later on due forced conversions by Emperor Aurangzeb).

Even today, you'd be pretty glad you had your Kirpan on you if you got mugged or something! It's a timeless symbol of justice (law courts in the UK have swords on their coat of arms to represent justice), but it's also a tool that you can actively use in your life.

Also, it's interesting to note that most the battles that the Sikhs fought were for the protection of Hindus and Hinduism, not Sikhism. So the Kirpan is actually a weapon for the defence of others, not for self defence.
Reply 111

i would say yes because if its part of their religion, then its ok i think, as Islam given full religious freedom to an individual
Reply 112
Original post by amerzeb
well there are mixed views about them. many say that they are not muslims because they believe that mirza gulam ahmed was a devine refromer, the messiah, the mahdi. and that the prophet muhammad (pbuh) was not the final messenger (i think).

Mixed views? I have yet to see a single scholar who considers them within the fold of Islam.

Original post by amerzeb
i would say yes because if its part of their religion, then its ok i think, as Islam given full religious freedom to an individual

Source? I don't mean to sound harsh but a viewpoint of Islam is needed and not personal opinions..
Original post by In2deep
Mixed views? I have yet to see a single scholar who considers them within the fold of Islam.

Source? I don't mean to sound harsh but a viewpoint of Islam is needed and not personal opinions..

Did you get the pm I sent you?
Reply 114
Did you get the pm I sent you?

I'll reply to it later bro :smile:

Do you mind if I just do it here?
Original post by In2deep
I'll reply to it later bro :smile:

Do you mind if I just do it here?

I dont mind at all
Reply 116

I don't think anyone but themselves considers them as Muslims.
Reply 117
Original post by In2deep

your right kool
If all of the religions that came after Islam are not true, then what is your (honest) opinion on the Sikh Gurus?

Liars who misled people - My absolute honest opinion.
Why are most of the prophets mentioned in the Qur'an Jewish/Greek?

Muslims do not regard the prophets as jewish but as true muslims, as for greek prophets sorry but I don't which prophet is supposed to be greek. In total there are 124000 prophets.

Latest