The Student Room Group

Positive Discrimination: Right or Wrong?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tufc
Christ on a bike you've got a good memory. And I put that in context with my argument that we shouldn't let immigrants into the country who are going to be intolerant towards white people.
No you did not. :colonhash: We were speaking specifically about positive discrimination, and I said the only permissible case would be the police force, as there is a need to preserve ethnic community relations. You were opposed to any form of positive discrimination unconditionally and said it is the responsibility of the community to not be racist and disregard the police officers' ethnicities. I said this is infeasible, and although it is an ideal situation, the reality is that community-police relations are better maintained (the police can do their jobs better, people are more willing to report crimes and be on the police's side, etc.) when the police are representative of the demographics of the community.

What you have said in this thread was my argument to you.
Reply 21
Original post by whyumadtho
No you did not. :colonhash: We were speaking specifically about positive discrimination, and I said the only permissible case would be the police force, as there is a need to preserve ethnic community relations. You were opposed to any form of positive discrimination unconditionally and said it is the responsibility of the community to not be racist and disregard the police officers' ethnicities. I said this is infeasible, and although it is an ideal situation, the reality is that community-police relations are better maintained (the police can do their jobs better, people are more willing to report crimes and be on the police's side, etc.) when the police are representative of the demographics of the community.

What you have said in this thread was my argument to you.

Perhaps my views have changed, then. It does happen.
Original post by tufc
Perhaps my views have changed, then. It does happen.
U-turn... I'm glad you have acquiesced to my views. :biggrin:
Reply 23
U-turn... I'm glad you have acquiesced to my views. :biggrin:

Of course I still uphold my view that we should deport any immigrant that is intolerant of people of a different ethnicity.
Wow, you do a brilliant job of putting us all in one big boat of so called "pseudo-liberals". That's your problem, you have an assumptive attitude. It's good that you acknowledge yourself as a bigot. Carry on trying to win your arguments if you like, which, let's be honest, will get you nowhere. Why don't you go out and heckle your MP, why don't you protest in the street? It'll probably get you further to achieving your ideals than criticising us "lefties", as you may call us, on TSR.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by tufc
Of course I still uphold my view that we should deport any immigrant that is intolerant of people of a different ethnicity.
Teenagers, the overwhelming majority of whom are born here, are typically the most recalcitrant and hostile demographic towards the police.
Reply 26
Teenagers, the overwhelming majority of whom are born here, are typically the most recalcitrant and hostile demographic towards the police.

So what? Their parents have obviously raised them badly if they harbour such intolerance. Deport the whole family. :fuhrer:
Reply 27
Original post by munchies1991
Wow, you do a brilliant job of putting us all in one big boat of so called "pseudo-liberals". That's your problem, you have an assumptive attitude. It's good that you acknowledge yourself as a bigot. Carry on trying to win your arguments if you like, which, let's be honest, will get you nowhere. Why don't you go out and heckle your MP, why don't you protest in the street? It'll probably get you further to achieving your ideals than criticising us "lefties", as you may call us, on TSR.

I call myself a bigot to satire the hordes of people who call me a bigot, simply for disagreeing with them.

But as to the original topic - Positive Discrimination: Right or Wrong?
Original post by tufc
I call myself a bigot to satire the hordes of people who call me a bigot, simply for disagreeing with them.

But as to the original topic - Positive Discrimination: Right or Wrong?

Ok yes, but the very fact that you criticise everyone on TSR for being a "pseudo-liberal" as you call it, shows that you are defiantly unwilling to hear other peoples' opinions, bordering on intolerance. Personally, because I think it shows hypocrisy, it disregards your opinions. Just my opinion but good luck.
Reply 29
Original post by munchies1991
Ok yes, but the very fact that you criticise everyone on TSR for being a "pseudo-liberal" as you call it, shows that you are defiantly unwilling to hear other peoples' opinions, bordering on intolerance. Personally, because I think it shows hypocrisy, it disregards your opinions. Just my opinion but good luck.

I don't disregard other people's opinions. I just laugh when they have a predetermined set of left wing values, that they utterly fail to justify, and can only back up when losing an argument by calling me a racist.
Reply 30
Original post by tufc
I believe that positive discrimination is wrong, and everyone should be given the same employment rights, regardless of their race, sexual orientation, gender, disability status etc. But the 2010 Equality Act legislates to allow discrimination in this way (Labour's doing, ofc :rolleyes:)

What are your thoughts?

I don't particularly believe that there is benefits to multi-culturalism, to an extent I don't believe that there is any benefits from diversity.

As for positive discrimination, hmmmmm I don't agree with it for the sake of it........am a believer that the best person should get the job, diversity and equality just for the sake of it is an absolute pot of ****, especially the kind peddled by Labour. If you have to have equality or diversity through positive discrimination then fine......for as long as standards aren't compromised just to satisfy that goal.
Original post by tufc
I don't disregard other people's opinions. I just laugh when they have a predetermined set of left wing values, that they utterly fail to justify, and can only back up when losing an argument by calling me a racist.

So you have met all the left wing thinkers in the world have you? Did I call you a racist? You should meet David Harvey one day. He'd give you a good debate if you needed one. :wink:
Positive discrimination is still discrimination. Selecting someone for a job based solely on a protected characteristic is just as absurd as not selecting somebody for the same reasons.

Employment should be attained on merit and ability and if two people have the same experience and time in an idustry then it is for the employer to decide who gets the job based on the things that employers think about....will this person be part of my team, will we work well together etc etc.

Selecting a candidate just for equality reasoning is ludicrous.

I'm a caucasion male, British, non-religeous, 30 years old, fully able-bodied, straight and always (to my knowledge) been a guy.

WILL I EVER WORK AGAIN??????????????
I don't support positive discrimination, at least not directly. What I do support is all disadvantaged communities, including white ones, though it will be disproportionatly ones including minority groups, to be given a lot of extra funding in areas like education. This isn't as easy or quick a solution as straightforward discrimination, but I think it's the only way to make a real difference.

There are exceptions, like the politce, where it's necessary for them to reflect the public to be able to do their jobs in some areas.
The political correct power structure which dominates British society is so pathologically racist against white people that it labels racism against white people as 'positive'.

The phrase 'Positive discrimination' is like saying 'positive racism'.
Reply 35
Definitely wrong. Your background shouldn't disadvantage you -- but neither should it advantage you.
Reply 36
Positive discrimination is discrimination against everyone else. It's like trying to put out a fire with ... a bigger fire.
wrong
on the one hand you have racism and a way of the government discriminating against perfectly innocent and blameless people (the majority group) to make their race legally inferior
and on the other hand you have the government condescending to the race that they're helping by suggesting tht this race *needs* help as if they're weaker and less capable
it's a lose-lose situation and it will never be fair nor respectable
Reply 38
Double post
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by BCUciaran
I disagree based on a recent case of religious positive discrimination in Northern Ireland.
Basically following the peace process in N. Ireland the government established a new police force. Many former RUC officers got massive redundancy payments and happily left the force making way for new recruits. In N. Ireland prior to the 2006 the police force was predominantly Protestant and therefore did not have the trust of the Catholic community so it was decided that 50% of all new recruits must come from Catholic community regardless of the % that apply until the number of PSNI officers in the service reflected the % of Catholics in NI which is around 40%. The old police service only had around 6% of Catholic officers. It worked well and now the PSNI is seen as an impartial police force (for the first time in NI) and it now has the trust, respect etc of the entire community (almost)
So while religion has NOTHING to do with the job it did ensure the police service was representative of the entire community that it served.

While the end result for the police force may have been a positive one, the side you don't mention is the numerous Protestant applicants that were denied the job based solely on their religious beliefs. If the community has an issue with trusting an officer that is of a differing religion then perhaps the issue is with the community itself being prejudiced and is in fact them that need to change, and not the system that should bow to the pressures of a discriminating community.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending