Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I just told my parents not to comment on my driving and to keep quiet unless their life was in danger

Worked a treat

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I got that with my dad. He got annoyed when, if I was going straight ahead at a roundabout I would stay to the left. Where he would just cut accross, his excuse was you just give people the oppurtunity to cut you up, and he is right people do seem to try it, especially if you have L plates on

ReputationRep:
    My Dad's fine about driving, it's my Mum who gets really worried. Like apparently being a car length from the car infront in a queue to get onto a roundabout is far too close Got to love when they grab onto the door handles too (I've been driving for quite a while too, so it's not like I'm particularly bad)

It definitely helps though. At first it was more of a hindrance as I went out with my parents from day one and Dad would tell me to do things in a different way to my instructor- this was at a time when I didn't just do it automatically. Once you're passed that stage, though, or can remember what your instructor told you to do, then it's really helpful for the driving itself. I don't find doing manouveres in my car helps, though, but that's because you can't see out the back-window properly for things like reversing round a corner. Stuff like that depends on the car you have though.

ReputationRep:
    well my mum sat in on a lesson today and the instructor says i need 4!!! more lessons before i can drive in my mum's car but she doesnt agree so im going to switch instructor now - not just because of this; there are other reasons as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Yeah I got that with my dad. He got annoyed when, if I was going straight ahead at a roundabout I would stay to the left. Where he would just cut accross, his excuse was you just give people the oppurtunity to cut you up, and he is right people do seem to try it, especially if you have L plates on
    My Dad liked to not tell me where we were going until after I'd joined the three lane one way system, or multilane exit roundabouts, then shout when I was in the wrong lane.
    He also seemed to enjoy not watching me at all, then tell me I didn't check my mirrors and things.

But after a while, I got used to when he was going to say things, and he started saying less, and we got on a bit better and I found the experience very rewarding (I hated it the first few times!)

ReputationRep:
    I've never had the chance to practice - my mum drives an automatic tank in insurance group 18 and I've booked my test to be taken after about 27 hours learning - but the best thing to do is ask your instructor.

ReputationRep:
    Have private practice BEFORE having lessons. Saves you money. Obviously don't go on main roads, go round the block or something (I suppose it depends where you live). Or even in a car park, just learn how to pull off, stop, change into 2nd etc (the basics) ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Candy_Shop)
    Have private practice BEFORE having lessons. Saves you money. Obviously don't go on main roads, go round the block or something (I suppose it depends where you live). Or even in a car park, just learn how to pull off, stop, change into 2nd etc (the basics) ...
    That'd help quite a bit.
    I had a very basic knowledge of driving (in car parks, just pulling off, stopping, what the clutch did etc).

You wouldn't think it, but it can take up to a whole lesson just to be shown what each pedal does. It takes no time or effort at all for your mum or dad just to show you which is which and just let you have a little play, and will save you at least a lesson that you have to pay for.

ReputationRep:
    but is that not illegal?

ReputationRep:
    I started using my dad's car (without insurance) when i finished my 5th lesson and it was Peugeot 406 estate!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alison_141288)
    but is that not illegal?
    Not if you got provisional n your accompanied.

ReputationRep:
    and you've taken out insurance on the car!

ReputationRep:
    THe only thing i can say is dont do it after your first lesson during the school rush. I did that and it completly destroyed my confidence. There was loads ofstop starting on hills and big roundabouts and stuff. It went horribly wrong with lots of shoutingin the car and i wouldnt go with my parents for about 3 weeks till id had a few more lessons.Its fine now and i drive pretty much everywhere we go now which is great.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, it's not hard to get used to different cars. My instructor started off with a Corsa and then got a newer one with a bigger engine, and I also drive mine and I don't see what the fuss is tbh?

ReputationRep:
    Power steering, and no power steering

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.