The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

sidekick
Not every college makes you swap rooms every term though do they?

Nope, Hatfield doesn't, for one.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 61
Castle doesn't either.
Reply 62
sidekick
Not every college makes you swap rooms every term though do they?

But you get to experience different parts of college every term! :biggrin:

Although it sucks for us 'overseas' students in terms of finding somewhere for your stuff.
I don't mind sharing a room at all, but I was wondering if maybe I could chose who I want to be with? Because I know a girl who is in the same college and who does the same course as me (we're both deferred entry, so we're starting Oct 2010). I only know her from FB so far but we're planning to meet up soon and I think we'll get on really well, so I'm thinking it would be nice to share a room with her! Do you think that would be possible, if we put it on the forms or ring them up or whatever?
Reply 64
It should be - in the 'extras' bit about yourself on the form, stick down 'Would like to share with XXX if at all possible; we're friends.' They do try to accomodate people.
Reply 65
I really dont want to share a room but I'm becoming more apathetic about it the closer October comes...the questionnaire was pretty thorough so seems like they match you up pretty well...
Reply 66
They're usually very good at matching - so long as you don't lie, of course. And if there is a problem - a friend of mine really didn't get on with her roommate - they were too similar, as it happened :tongue:

They talked to the College staff and she moved out and was much happier. (There are always a few people who cancel their places at College or leave after a day [the record is three minutes FYI] so there are usually a few spare rooms to move people into.]

Don't be afraid to ask to move!
Reply 67
I think sharing a room could be fun, so I took a risk and signed up for it... but I am worried about the form. I mean I dislike sports, but I do play football... I love parties, but I don't drink... and I like all things cultural and art, but I'd go crazy sharing with someone who likes theatre and musicals... I tried to write about all that, but I am afraid now that whoever reads my form thinks I am really annoying and difficult and pairs me up with someone equally horrible xP But well, at least at Mary's it's only until Christmas, as far as I know.
Zenobia
I love parties, but I don't drink...

Parties = Drinking. I think people who say they don't drink will most likely get paired up with people who also don't drink.
sunshine_92
I don't mind sharing a room at all, but I was wondering if maybe I could chose who I want to be with? Because I know a girl who is in the same college and who does the same course as me (we're both deferred entry, so we're starting Oct 2010). I only know her from FB so far but we're planning to meet up soon and I think we'll get on really well, so I'm thinking it would be nice to share a room with her! Do you think that would be possible, if we put it on the forms or ring them up or whatever?

I would avoid doing this, the people who go up already knowing someone seem to spend their time with only that person and don't branch out. Be brave and take someone random, chances are they will become a friend later.
Reply 70
Hmmm in the letters I got it said that if I had to share they would be in touch with the details of the person I'd be sharing with. I havn't heard anything yet so I'm presuming I'm in a single? I opted out of sharing so fingers crossed. When do you usually hear, would I have heard by now?
Reply 71
Yes, you would have, unless your post is particularly slow - the letters went out for most Colleges some time ago - and most people have received them now; you're probably not sharing. If you're that worried, ring up your college secretary and ask. They don't mind.
Reply 72
Ah no worries it was just a general wondering really. I live close to college anyway so I suppose if I wanted my own space I could always just go home! I was just wondering how soon people found out. Are you sharing?
i'm kind of going off the idea of sharing now that i know i am :s-smilie:
Reply 74
Marinuska
Yes, you would have, unless your post is particularly slow - the letters went out for most Colleges some time ago - and most people have received them now; you're probably not sharing. If you're that worried, ring up your college secretary and ask. They don't mind.

Really? Because I actually signed up for sharing... but I haven't heard anything at all.
Zenobia
Really? Because I actually signed up for sharing... but I haven't heard anything at all.

Which college? Because I know hild bede don't tell you which room you're in until you turn up.
Reply 76
Does anyone know if you find out from Hatfield if you're sharing or not before you get there?

xxx
Reply 77
piiineapple
i'm kind of going off the idea of sharing now that i know i am :s-smilie:

I'm the opposite, I've added my roommate on facebook and he seems quite cool. I'm looking forward to uni more since I'll at least know (kind of) someone when I arrive.
DougieG
I'm the opposite, I've added my roommate on facebook and he seems quite cool. I'm looking forward to uni more since I'll at least know (kind of) someone when I arrive.

How'd you find out? Are you able to find out who your flatmates are at Parsons Field?
Reply 79
angelmxxx
Which college? Because I know hild bede don't tell you which room you're in until you turn up.

St Mary's.

Latest

Trending

Trending