Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, I tried to upload a picture, but I can't, so I'll try to do a description as best as possible...

I need a new hairstyle! I'm a guy, and currently, I use gel to spike up all of my hair, including the sides and back. But I'm bored of this, and people tell me it's a bad look, so I'm asking you for help.

So, if you can think of a new hairstyle for me, the requirements are :
    - No shaved heads
    - I can't grow my hair too long, because it goes all weird and bushy
    - I'd prefer something that involves styling with a hair product (not flat!)

Any suggestions I'll try, so if you wanna suggest something, can you give details of :
    -the style of hair
    - how you do it
    - what type of produce to use

I'm looking for serious things here, so any jokes won't be appreciated.

Thanks

brimstone1

ReputationRep:
    Ok, well without seeing your hair im at a bit of a loss.. what celeb would you say has the similar style hair to you?

I would say that alot of gel spiking I suppose can get a bit boring, what about trying to grow out your hair with a bit of a sweeping fringe.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, right... my hair is similar to... I'm not really sure. I have thick, dark brown hair. Currently, it's about just over an inch long.

ReputationRep:
    i think you should grow your hair a bit. Thick hair on guys is very sexy! i wouldnt use too much gel as this normally makes guys hair look greasy and 'crispy'. Swap gel for wax, as wax will give your hair a shine, will tame any frizz, and make your hair look naturally messed up if you see what i mean. But dont use too much as that can look greasy. hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Ro-x)
    i think you should grow your hair a bit. Thick hair on guys is very sexy! i wouldnt use too much gel as this normally makes guys hair look greasy and 'crispy'. Swap gel for wax, as wax will give your hair a shine, will tame any frizz, and make your hair look naturally messed up if you see what i mean. But dont use too much as that can look greasy. hope this helps.
    Thanks. Found that my hair is similar to Billie-Joe Armstrong (of Green Day) but a bit thicker... if this helps. Thanks a lot for the suggestions so far.

ReputationRep:
    Dreads... dreads are amazing...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girlgerms)
    Dreads... dreads are amazing...
    Hmm... if you knew me, you wouldn't be saying that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x-Ro-x)
    So, do I just rub a bit of wax into my hair, so it stands up a bit, and looks "messed up"? Or do I do something else?

Thanks for all the advice BTW guys. My hair is really pissing me off at the moment... running out of gel as well.

ReputationRep:
    i'm pissed off with my hair at the moment also, i seem to go through phases where i have it quite short then i want to grow it longish but then it starts going curly around the sides so it takes ages to style. so eventually i go back to short hair again. it's annoying, i guess not all hair types are very managable when long.

but i'm not sure, lol, i'll probably get it cut to an inch or something and just rough it up with a bit of wax. dont use gel unless it's really short.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I've purchased two different types of wax (mainly because they were two for £4):
    L'Oreal FX Studio "Crystal Wax"
    L'Oreal FX Studio Architect Wax
    Are these any good?

ReputationRep:
    sounds nice

ReputationRep:
    Bob Dylan? My hair is like his /

I just straighten it.. works a treat

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nightowl)
    Bob Dylan? My hair is like his /

I just straighten it.. works a treat
    Hmm... not too good I would assume
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by emit.)
    i'm pissed off with my hair at the moment also, i seem to go through phases where i have it quite short then i want to grow it longish but then it starts going curly around the sides so it takes ages to style. so eventually i go back to short hair again. it's annoying, i guess not all hair types are very managable when long.

but i'm not sure, lol, i'll probably get it cut to an inch or something and just rough it up with a bit of wax. dont use gel unless it's really short.
    I'm a bit the same too. I've been wanting a bit longer hair for a while now, but when it gets to be about 2 inches long it starts to get a bit awkward, so I have it cut.

Right now it's getting towards three inches long, so it's the longest it's been for a while. For some reason I'm not having the same sorts of problems I used to have either....but I am trying to keep a bit more of a fringy bit to it than I usually do when it is this length, so that seems to be working....

ReputationRep:
    Ooooh the 'messy look' is SO sexy!

I'll try n upload some pics whith hair i like on men:

http://www.curly-sue.com/Hairstyles/...?album=9&pos=1

This one is quite nice.

Just get some wax, grow it kinda long, then spike it all up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hana_87)
    Ooooh the 'messy look' is SO sexy!

I'll try n upload some pics whith hair i like on men:

http://www.curly-sue.com/Hairstyles/...?album=9&pos=1
    What a homosexual pose. I hate the "out of bed" look when people wax it and style it - it seems one big contradiction. I just don't do anything to my hair, i'm the real deal.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say thanks for all the help guys. I'm now using wax, and my hair looks much better!

ReputationRep:
    Grow your hair a bit longer - straighten it if you must. Never never never use gel ever again. Ever. It's awful. Use wax, but sparingly, otherwise its almost as bad as gel.

Go to a good hair-dressers (doesn't have to be Toni+Guy although they are good fun but overpriced) and get their opinion. Seriously. Likelyhood, they will know what looks good on you better than you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jasperstory)
    Grow your hair a bit longer - straighten it if you must. Never never never use gel ever again. Ever. It's awful. Use wax, but sparingly, otherwise its almost as bad as gel.

Go to a good hair-dressers (doesn't have to be Toni+Guy although they are good fun but overpriced) and get their opinion. Seriously. Likelyhood, they will know what looks good on you better than you.
    Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    Bad news - I've had an allergic reaction to the wax I bought, which has caused a rash on my arms! Can anyone recommend a good wax that isn't likely to bring me out in a rash?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.