The Student Room Group

C4 Jan 12 Edexcel Post Exam Discussion - Solutions in first post

Scroll to see replies

Exactly two weeks today C4 will be over.
Reply 21
Original post by snow leopard

Original post by snow leopard
Exactly two weeks today C4 will be over.

That both terrifies and pleases me.
I find C3 and C4 so much easier than any of the applied. Mostly comes down to the same patterns over and over again with core I guess. Anyone know if this trend continues into FP2/3?
Reply 23
Original post by TheUltimateProof
I find C3 and C4 so much easier than any of the applied. Mostly comes down to the same patterns over and over again with core I guess. Anyone know if this trend continues into FP2/3?

i find fp2/3 easier than c3/4 but you need to be good at c3/4, especially integration, differentiation, trig and vectors
Original post by kurovalte
i find fp2/3 easier than c3/4 but you need to be good at c3/4, especially integration, differentiation, trig and vectors

Great! Sound like my sort of paper
guys,help please
i am stuck on jan 2011 Q7(c)

I substitute x=5 into x=(u-4)^2+1 and found out that u= 6 or 2
I also substitute x=2 into x=(u-4)^2+1 and found out that u=5 or 3

according to the mark scheme,they are using 6 rejecting 2 and using 5 rejecting 3

I know we are required to reject one of the answers but how are we supposed to see which to reject?

thanks alot
Reply 26
Original post by Anonymous12345

according to the mark scheme,they are using 6 rejecting 2 and using 5 rejecting 3

I know we are required to reject one of the answers but how are we supposed to see which to reject?

thanks alot

I believe you take the value which results in a positive value for things, this is just the standard way of doing things.
Reply 27
thanks a bunch! ie been looking for this for ages!
Original post by Anonymous12345
x

Hey! You should take the positive value...I dont know why but thats just the way it is

number 1)

5=(u-4)^2 +1

4=(u-4)^2

square root both sides

+2=(u-4) ===> u=6

number 2)

2=(u-4)^2 +1

1=(u-4)^2

square root both sides

+1=(u-4) ===> u=5
Is it just me or are the grade boundaries are becoming increasingly difficult without any real apparent decrease in difficulty of the paper... 72 out or 75 for 90 ums last Jan compared with like 65/66/67... Just because we lose 4 marks via silly mistakes in a C4 paper doesn't mean we don't deserve an A*?? WHAT IS THIS!
Original post by Arsey
I will update this first post on the day following the exam to upload the paper and model answers.

I do not have access to the papers before the exam

Here is a link to the June 11 thread, the first few posts contains stacks of useful stuff such as past papers, model answers, boundaries, hints and tips...

Scroll down to post #39

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1619107&post=39

arsey could you explain why it is the case that Jan 11 had such ridiculous boundaries? I just did Jan 2011 and having done all the past papers before them, I'd say Jan 2011 was probably above average in terms of difficulty, but why the sudden surge in grade boundaries??? 91% raw mark was a B?
Possibly due to most people who take c4 in January... are either top international schools, or are doing further maths (FM)...

there is also the minority who are taking resits....

Arsey; also what advice would you give in terms of preparing for the exams if one had limited time.. lets say from now till wednesday noon.

and hasn't started his revision for chapter 4 + 5 + 6... and only needs to get 60 ums ish...

obviously taking into considerations that the chapter 6 (integeration) plays a big part in the exam
Original post by shadow12345
Possibly due to most people who take c4 in January... are either top international schools, or are doing further maths (FM)...

there is also the minority who are taking resits....

Arsey; also what advice would you give in terms of preparing for the exams if one had limited time.. lets say from now till wednesday noon.

and hasn't started his revision for chapter 4 + 5 + 6... and only needs to get 60 ums ish...

obviously taking into considerations that the chapter 6 (integeration) plays a big part in the exam

i would get off TSR and start revising... my advice is not to go through the book, but just go through the most recent past papers, that's the best way to guarentee 60 ums :P
Wait ? .... What?

THIS IS A C4 discussion page... not c3
Reply 34
Did everyine else think june 2011 c4 was hard or is that just me???
is arsey releasing C3 at midnight or what?!
Original post by S.V.Johny
Did everyine else think june 2011 c4 was hard or is that just me???

I got a U in it after spending 75 minutes in the exam drawing a farm as I couldn't do any of it, so yeah :p:

Hence why I'm resitting :biggrin:
Original post by WaNaBe
Anyone else struggling with vectors and differential equations? :colone:

definitely differential equations!
:s-smilie:
Reply 38
Could anyone help me with integration.
I'm looking at Ex6L, question 3b. It says the finite region given in rotated through 2pi about the x-axis.

What I don't understand is that, if its rotated 2pi, why you're only supposed to do:
V=pi y squared dx (From the CD)

and not V=2pi y squared dx

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:
Reply 39
Original post by ojeavons
Could anyone help me with integration.
I'm looking at Ex6L, question 3b. It says the finite region given in rotated through 2pi about the x-axis.

What I don't understand is that, if its rotated 2pi, why you're only supposed to do:
V=pi y squared dx (From the CD)

and not V=2pi y squared dx

Any help would be much appreciated :smile:

basically, 2 pi radians is the same as 360 degrees
the general rule is if it is rotated 2pi(360 deg)
then do
pi (integral y squared dx)

hope it helps
we need to get this thread live-seems so dead

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending