The Student Room Group

C4 Jan 12 Edexcel Post Exam Discussion - Solutions in first post

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Anyone have the possible questions from P1-P3 mark scheme?
Reply 41
Original post by Arsey
I will update this first post on the day following the exam to upload the paper and model answers.

I do not have access to the papers before the exam

Here is a link to the June 11 thread, the first few posts contains stacks of useful stuff such as past papers, model answers, boundaries, hints and tips...

Scroll down to post #39

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1619107&post=39

Any tips/predictions for tomorrow ?
Reply 42
I know that to find solids of revolution, you have to do pi y^2 dx, but is there any instance where you'd have to do pi x^2 dy? Or am I just talking absolute rubbish..
Reply 43
Original post by alexsasg
I know that to find solids of revolution, you have to do pi y^2 dx, but is there any instance where you'd have to do pi x^2 dy? Or am I just talking absolute rubbish..

The spec says: pi y^2 dx is required, but not pi x^2 dy. Students should be able to find a volume of revolution, given parametric equations.
(For rotation about the y-axis you would do pi x^2 dy, but this isn't on the specification.)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Hi I realise this exam is only hours away, but I'd be grateful if anyone could answer these questions:

First, is it possible that the exam would ask us to find a definite integral (ie area under a curve) and then as a second part of the question ask us to use this area to find the volume? How would this be done without starting from scratch with : pi y^2 ?

Second, in the textbook exam style paper, there is a question that requires us to arrange secx/tan^2x into cosecxcotx using identity 1+tan^2x=sec^2x . How can this be done? The MS said it was only one step and one mark, but I can't figure it out at all!

Thanks and good luck everybody! Hopefully we don't get another 96% for A*!
Original post by drspa44
Hi I realise this exam is only hours away, but I'd be grateful if anyone could answer these questions:

First, is it possible that the exam would ask us to find a definite integral (ie area under a curve) and then as a second part of the question ask us to use this area to find the volume? How would this be done without starting from scratch with : pi y^2 ?

Second, in the textbook exam style paper, there is a question that requires us to arrange secx/tan^2x into cosecxcotx using identity 1+tan^2x=sec^2x . How can this be done? The MS said it was only one step and one mark, but I can't figure it out at all!

Thanks and good luck everybody! Hopefully we don't get another 96% for A*!

secx/tan(^2)x = 1/[cosx(1-sec(^2)x)]

I give up D:

Aaaarggghhhh I got 33/75 on last year's paper just now :frown: I guess this is another summer resit :frown:

Edit: Sorry for wasting your time thinking someone answered your qu btw, shouldn't have quoted you :frown:
Reply 46
GOOD LUCK to everyone taking core 4 tomorrow ! There wont be many of us either i suppose ... fingers crossed its a good paper ! :smile:
Original post by Preetinder
secx/tan(^2)x = 1/[cosx(1-sec(^2)x)]

I give up D:

Aaaarggghhhh I got 33/75 on last year's paper just now :frown: I guess this is another summer resit :frown:

Edit: Sorry for wasting your time thinking someone answered your qu btw, shouldn't have quoted you :frown:

Thanks for sitting the paper!! You are helping everyone else by lowering the UMS by a tiny margin :smile:
Original post by Phoebe x
GOOD LUCK to everyone taking core 4 tomorrow ! There wont be many of us either i suppose ... fingers crossed its a good paper ! :smile:

If everyone else doing the paper gets good luck, it will also mean bad luck to everyone because the grade boundaries would be ridiculously high, so nothing would change
Original post by lordvulture
If everyone else doing the paper gets good luck, it will also mean bad luck to everyone because the grade boundaries would be ridiculously high, so nothing would change

But if everyone gets enough good luck that everyone gets 100%, then that's guaranteeing them 100% UMS too, so it doesn't matter how the grade boundaries change then :biggrin:

Mind you, my chances of getting 100% on the paper are as good as the chances of me getting into Oxbridge :colondollar:
Reply 50
Can anyone give me advice on how to get an a* for tomorrow. Currently I am getting 80% which is around 60, but since the grade boundaries are most probably going to be much higher than this what shall I do to prepare from today until tomorrow in order for me to get the best grade possible.
Reply 51
But if everyone gets enough good luck that everyone gets 100%, then that's guaranteeing them 100% UMS too, so it doesn't matter how the grade boundaries change then :biggrin:

Mind you, my chances of getting 100% on the paper are as good as the chances of me getting into Oxbridge :colondollar:

Haha... actually i guess you are both right... oh well . But I would be over the moon if I got over 90 on this paper !!! ::eek:
Original post by hannahal
Can anyone give me advice on how to get an a* for tomorrow. Currently I am getting 80% which is around 60, but since the grade boundaries are most probably going to be much higher than this what shall I do to prepare from today until tomorrow in order for me to get the best grade possible.

Maybe do past paper qus on the 20% you're not quite getting right?
Use mymaths or khanacademy, m4ths.com etc..to go over the concepts too :smile:
Reply 53
Maybe do past paper qus on the 20% you're not quite getting right?
Use mymaths or khanacademy, m4ths.com etc..to go over the concepts too :smile:

Thanks. I will go over all the questions I have difficulty with.
Reply 54
Original post by Claree

Original post by Claree
The spec says: pi y^2 dx is required, but not pi x^2 dy. Students should be able to find a volume of revolution, given parametric equations.
(For rotation about the y-axis you would do pi x^2 dy, but this isn't on the specification.)

Okay, phew! Thanks :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by alexsasg

I asked my teacher about this earlier today and she said that revolutions about the y axis are only covered in Further Maths, not C4. So we only need to worry about pi y^2 dx

:smile:
Reply 56
Original post by ojeavons

Original post by ojeavons
I asked my teacher about this earlier today and she said that revolutions about the y axis are only covered in Further Maths, not C4. So we only need to worry about pi y^2 dx

:smile:

Thanks :smile: this is one less thing to have to worry about!
Reply 57
Quick question; I'm unlikely to lose any marks if I show my working thoroughly and get to the right answer, even if it's not necessarily exactly simplified in the way the mark scheme has chosen to do it (e.g. I usually take out factors when possible, as it makes it much nicer to substitute later, but the mark scheme frequently leaves them in), am I?
Reply 58
why cant u integrate (Sinx)^2 normally? Why do we have to change it to cos2x??? thanks.
Original post by Netferatu
why cant u integrate (Sinx)^2 normally? Why do we have to change it to cos2x??? thanks.

because you can't... try integrating sinx^2 and differentiate it and u get a different answer :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending