The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

W.A.S Hewins
I still think you're a bit over-concerned about Berkeley-that kind of quality doesn't go down the tubes overnight,...

I'm concerned more than the average guy because I'm in a position to know - I currently work as an executive assistant and policy advisor in the Chancellor's office at Berkeley. When a University's budget has been *reduced* by thirty percent in ten years, while at the same time it takes on an *increased* enrollment of 10,000 students, you would be surprised at just how fast institutional quality can decline.

I worry because I love Berkeley dearly and I can see firsthand how bad things are getting. I've heard the Chancellor himself remark at a meeting that he sees this as the most dire situation UC has ever faced in its history.
Reply 41
personally, i think this is just pointless rubbish. firstly it's not possible to compare universities worldwide as different cultures have such different modes of teaching. secondly, just look at the list of names...caltech? usf?? these are not what will be generally perceived as the creme de la creme of america...let alone worldwide. and as for the criteria - SIZE plays a part? ok maybe larger univerisities have a slight advantage but how about duke university? it's tiny. but it has amazing resources and offers excellent teaching.
sc7738
personally, i think this is just pointless rubbish. firstly it's not possible to compare universities worldwide as different cultures have such different modes of teaching. secondly, just look at the list of names...caltech? usf??

What the fuck are you talking about? Caltech has at least 3 nobel laureates on faculty, it's a fantastic institution.
Reply 43
How someone can compare schools like Caltech and MIT to Harvard, I don't know.
Plus Harvard is on a different level to Americans when you compare the English educational system.
Reply 45
I find it amazing that people seem so obsessed with elitism on this board, and more shockingly who has more money than whom.

Education is not about being 'better' than someone else or going to a 'better' university, or getting a 'better' job - Its about learning and questing, or at least it should be.

Who cares if Harvard has money coming out of its ears, or that oxford is nearly 1000 years old, or that x, y, and z having four zillion nobel laureates on call 24/7.

Does it really matter? as long as the education is up to a decent standard?
Catt
I find it amazing that people seem so obsessed with elitism on this board, and more shockingly who has more money than whom.

Education is not about being 'better' than someone else or going to a 'better' university, or getting a 'better' job - Its about learning and questing, or at least it should be.

Who cares if Harvard has money coming out of its ears, or that oxford is nearly 1000 years old, or that x, y, and z having four zillion nobel laureates on call 24/7.

Does it really matter? as long as the education is up to a decent standard?

a beautiful point raised
Reply 47
I am a student who will go to Cam or Ox to continue my Phd in Engineering
I am also always very interested in the world uiversities ranking ,
at the beginning, I am also confused by various ranks,but in this days I found a remark ,not a rank , by a nobel laureate whose major is physics .
He said there were top7 in the world
1.harvard 2.stanford 3.yale, 4, princeton, 5.UCB 6.MIT 7.CAM (same level)
the second level is Ox, Caltch, Tokyo ,chicago and many other US universities. he especially said that he was very disappointed with Oxford in that Ox is much worse than the above seven, even no better than those in the second level.

His opinion is purely academic and especially said in every field Cam is a little worse than Harvard but at least the same as the other first level universities.

And I must admit that the atmosphere in Cam and Ox is unique, In my opinion and dream the life in University should be the same as Ox and Cam. You can find that many American students who graduated from Harvard,Yale still come to Oxbrigde to attend a Msc course. Such as Clinton, why? They just want to feel one kind of atmosphere, tradition ..., the life between oxbridge and Harvard is totally different.Some people are suitable for this kind of life but others are not. Remember, the most valuable achievements you got in the university is not from the university's classrom but your life,your friends,your experience.

I just got my Beng degree so my feeling is my truth thinking. In the Bachelor level, the academic content is so naive if you can continue to a phd. And many valuable things you study is in the work and fron your friend.
Reply 48
suelva
I am a student who will go to Cam or Ox to continue my Phd in Engineering
I am also always very interested in the world uiversities ranking ,
at the beginning, I am also confused by various ranks,but in this days I found a remark ,not a rank , by a nobel laureate whose major is physics .
He said there were top7 in the world
1.harvard 2.stanford 3.yale, 4, princeton, 5.UCB 6.MIT 7.CAM (same level)
the second level is Ox, Caltch, Tokyo ,chicago and many other US universities. he especially said that he was very disappointed with Oxford in that Ox is much worse than the above seven, even no better than those in the second level.

His opinion is purely academic and especially said in every field Cam is a little worse than Harvard but at least the same as the other first level universities.

And I must admit that the atmosphere in Cam and Ox is unique, In my opinion and dream the life in University should be the same as Ox and Cam. You can find that many American students who graduated from Harvard,Yale still come to Oxbrigde to attend a Msc course. Such as Clinton, why? They just want to feel one kind of atmosphere, tradition ..., the life between oxbridge and Harvard is totally different.Some people are suitable for this kind of life but others not. Remember, the most valuable achievements you got in the university is not from the university's classrom but your life,your friends,your experience.

I just got my Beng degree so my feeling is my truth thinking. In the Bachelor level, the academic content is so naive if you can continue to a phd. And many valuable things you study is in the work and fron your friend.

where did u go for ur bachelors?
I would love to get a postdoc at Berkley, for what I'm doing it is the best bar none.
Reply 50
From a chinese university, which is among the best engineering universities in china.
I feel the uk student is so lucky in that your best students can go to the oxbridge but according the people rate students who attending the university in the top20 in china can all go to the oxbridge if they live in uk. So please treasure your life in Oxbridge. Because so many people who may better than you but have no oppotunity to go to oxbridge. :smile:
suelva
Because so many people who may better than you but have no oppotunity to go to oxbridge. :smile:

Bit arrogant, no?
Reply 52
ok ,I should say: some students but not many students, but consider the people compared between uk and china, and even the whole world, I say many is not unreasonable :rolleyes:
suelva
ok ,I should say: some students but not many students, but consider the people compared between uk and china, and even the whole world, I say many is not unreasonable :rolleyes:

I don't think you can say they are 'better', plus chinese students do get the opportunity to go to oxbridge and other UK institutions.
Reply 54
my mean is not better in every field but only in academic, at least in transcript, the most problem is the financial problem, if the tuition fee for oversea student is the same as your home/eu student ,I can full with confidence to say there would be much more chinese students to go to the oxbrigde.

You should know that china have 1.3billion people,only five thousand student can go to the best two unuiversities one year in china, the rate is 5/1300000, the population of uk is nearly 59million, if oxbridge take 5000
students one year, the rate is 5/59000, the rate between the two is nearly 1: 20 ,see that ,you should feel luck that you live in Uk. You living in a country with less people may not know many things in china.

In my province,there are 74million people, more than uk, the best two universities in my province take nearly 5000 students, including one out of three are students from other procince. Given all 5000 students are all from my province, the rate is still less than that of oxbridge. But my university ,one top university in china, may rank beyond 300,maybe 500 in the world. :rolleyes: Even the best two universities in china are ranked beyond 100 in the world. Do you think these students enrolled in them are more stupid than those enrolled in oxbridge?

If you could chose, which country do you hope to take the university entrance test? (just for the competition)

I say you should feel luck in that if you were in one country full with civil war, the income is less than one pound everyday, such as some africa
countries. I think you may not attend at least one class, not mention the university, oxbridge? they may not heard about them.

So I say everyone should treasure the oppotunity in oxbridge. :smile:
Reply 55
I do not have the mean to say that chinese students is better than Uk's. In fact I am very admiring the lecturers and students of uk, this can explain why I insist to go to oxbridge when my parents ask me to go to USA in that the :smile: y think the economy in usa is far better than uk. But I like the academic environment in oxbridge. :smile:
suelva
my mean is not better in every field but only in academic, at least in transcript, the most problem is the financial problem, if the tuition fee for oversea student is the same as your home/eu student ,I can full with confidence to say there would be much more chinese students to go to the oxbrigde.

I don't think so. I don't like your insinuations that chinese students are academically better than UK students, have seen no proof for this.

You should know that china have 1.3billion people,only five thousand student can go to the best two unuiversities one year in china, the rate is 5/1300000, the population of uk is nearly 59million, if oxbridge take 5000
students one year, the rate is 5/59000, the rate between the two is nearly 1: 20 ,see that ,you should feel luck that you live in Uk. You living in a country with less people may not know many things in china.

I do feel lucky that I live in the UK instead of china, but I assure that it is nothing to do with the presence of oxbridge.

In my province,there are 74million people, more than uk, the best two universities in my province take nearly 5000 students, including one out of three are students from other procince. Given all 5000 students are all from my province, the rate is still less than that of oxbridge. But my university ,one top university in china, may rank beyond 300,maybe 500 in the world. :rolleyes: Even the best two universities in china are ranked beyond 100 in the world. Do you think these students enrolled in them are more stupid than those enrolled in oxbridge?

I wouldn't know, but I can't see any evidence that says they are better.

If you could chose, which country do you hope to take the university entrance test? (just for the competition)

I don't understand your question.

I say you should feel luck in that if you were in one country full with civil war, the income is less than one pound everyday, such as some africa
countries. I think you may not attend at least one class, not mention the university, oxbridge? they may not heard about them.

So I say everyone should treasure the oppotunity in oxbridge. :smile:

Yes they should, but they should not feel as if they are denying others, who are more deserving, a chance to enjoy that opportunity, which is what you are implying.
Reply 57
ChemistBoy
I don't think so. I don't like your insinuations that chinese students are academically better than UK students, have seen no proof for this.

A quick fact for you: "Each year there is a chinese candidate who gets a perfect score 42/42 on International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO)" no other country has produced perfect score every year...i assume its the same for other subjects too...(In My Opinion this is merely due to the huge population og china as its easier to extract 6 students (for IMO team) from 1.3 billions whereas UK only has a little fraction of the population of china....
IntegralNeo
A quick fact for you: "Each year there is a chinese candidate who gets a perfect score 42/42 on International Mathematics Olympiad (IMO)" no other country has produced perfect score every year...i assume its the same for other subjects too...(In My Opinion this is merely due to the huge population og china as its easier to extract 6 students (for IMO team) from 1.3 billions whereas UK only has a little fraction of the population of china....

That's a handful of students, hardly a representative sample.
Reply 59
ChemistBoy
That's a handful of students, hardly a representative sample.

the 6 "Best" students are selected from the whole population...and all 6 "best" candidates from china always get better marks than any of the UK participants...(Paul Jefferys was the highest achiever with 32/42 and ALL chinese members scored higher than him in 2004)

Latest

Trending

Trending