Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/snap-on-rover-...ayphotohosting

does anyone know what you can do with it?

ReputationRep:
    no idea.

ReputationRep:
    Part of diagnostics system.

ReputationRep:
    Its a pug in for a snap on scanner which allows it to run diagnostic tests using rover diagnostic protocols. Does basically the same thing as the dealers own testbook / t4 machine. You need the main snap on scanner to plug it into though - its no good on its own.

If you want diagnostic gear you can get an EOBD tool which will work on 2001+ petrol cars and 2003+ diesel cars. You can only diagnose powertrain faults with that though, not airbags, immobilisers etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    kk. dont suppose anyone know where i can get cables and software to connect 2 the ECU of rover 200 MK3?

i asked a friend whos dad used 2 work for rover but says cant get hold of them?

ReputationRep:
    lol!

Diagnostic equipment, no matter what the manufacturer, is not cheap, and not easy to obtain.

Just goto a dealer and ask them to do a quick checkup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OMGWTF)
    Just goto a dealer and ask them to do a quick checkup
    :laugh: at £20-30 a time!

Some cars, the fault codes can be read using a paperclip or something?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingspharm)
    :laugh: at £20-30 a time!

Some cars, the fault codes can be read using a paperclip or something?
    £20-£30??? Last time I took my car in Ford wanted £65 + VAT!!!

ReputationRep:
    Well that's Ford prices for you - expensive to buy and expensive to maintain.

Vauxhall Tech2 check usually costs around £30 from a main dealer. A lot of independant garages do have the 'copy' machines though - so can also do this type of thing a bit cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    You can get diagnostic kits which hook up to laptops now, but they still cost a fair few bob unfortunately - not really worth it unless you're going to keep the car a long time/can service it yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samie)
    kk. dont suppose anyone know where i can get cables and software to connect 2 the ECU of rover 200 MK3?

i asked a friend whos dad used 2 work for rover but says cant get hold of them?
    What reg is the car? If it is a petrol do you know what version of MEMS ecu it has (should be on label)? I think it will probably be MEMS 2.8 or something which is too new to use flash codes (paperclip method) and not new enough to be EOBD compliant (MEMS 3 onwards), so its probably a dealer job. I have heard of a few 1999/2000 k series engines being able to use EOBD protocols, but with limited features. You could build a diy interface quite cheaply and try it out with some free software if the car is borderline age.

http://www.obd-2.com/
    http://www.planetfall.com/%7Ejeff/obdii

I have a basic interface which I use with the freeware version of VAG-COM and it has proved to be really useful. The total cost of the interface was around £10 for the various components and a breadboard to build it on.

ReputationRep:
    its a S-reg 214 SI, 1998.

becuase sum1 said if u can get a cable that connect to the ECU and it tells you what wrong with the car if its not working???

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.